Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How do you see yourself as a cyclist? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/630238-how-do-you-see-yourself-cyclist.html)

The Weak Link 03-21-10 08:48 AM

How do you see yourself as a cyclist?

Let's see if this works.

doctor j 03-21-10 09:11 AM

Mental health, staying in shape, and charting performance for no good reason... none of which is happening today because it started snowing in northwest Arkansas on the first day of Spring, and it's still snowing on the second day of Spring.:notamused:

Allegheny Jet 03-21-10 09:12 AM

I had to vote for more than one choice as many of them could be used to describe me. I did check "see you at the Masters Nationals" as that is one of my "A races" for the season and it's only about 5 hrs away.

The Weak Link 03-21-10 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 10555898)
I had to vote for more than one choice as many of them could be used to describe me. I did check "see you at the Masters Nationals" as that is one of my "A races" for the season and it's only about 5 hrs away.

I live in Louisville and often ride along the race route. Maybe I'll get my cowbell out and clank it for you guys.

Hermes 03-21-10 09:52 AM

Very good poll...I checked multiple boxes including other. I like to chart performance and use the results to modify training routines that support what I want to accomplish. My wife and I will be at Masters Nationals this year. We are doing the individual time trial.

BluesDawg 03-21-10 09:54 AM

I ride for mental health and to stay in shape. Solo or with friends is cool and I don't care about the numbers very much. I like group rides, but while I don't love getting dropped, I don't hate it either. No interest in racing except as an observer, but I would like to try randonneuring someday. I would also like to find ways to work occasional commuting into my routine.

10 Wheels 03-21-10 09:58 AM

I was sick for four years.
Began riding to get back to normal health.
That was 26 months and 28,000 miles ago.

George 03-21-10 10:37 AM

I checked the first four. That pretty much covers it. I think if I were a little younger I'd try racing, but I don't think so now. I think I would enjoy distance riding more.

cyclinfool 03-21-10 10:39 AM

I did not see flabby and out of shape - currently that's how I see myself as a cyclist.

bkaapcke 03-21-10 11:23 AM

A good sweaty workout on a car free trail that takes in local natural beauty is all I need. bk

bcoppola 03-21-10 11:25 AM

Mental health; staying in shape; group rides yes. Getting dropped, meh. As a wise man once said: if you're not getting dropped occasionally you're not trying hard enough.

Sometimes I like to hammer in a fast paceline, sometimes I smell the roses, sometimes a ride is just an excuse for pie and/or ice cream.

No interest in racing; don't have the competitive urge.

maddmaxx 03-21-10 12:10 PM

Sometimes when I adjust the mirror on the end of my left handlebar just so............I see myself.

ARider2 03-21-10 01:06 PM

How I see myself = big fat Fred !!!

knzn 03-21-10 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 10556049)
I was sick for four years.
Began riding to get back to normal health.
That was 26 months and 28,000 miles ago.

wow.

Daspydyr 03-21-10 02:05 PM

I had both hips replaced in 2008. Started riding again in July 2009. It is soo good to be alive. Couldn't say that when in chronic pain. I started riding for C/V health and have found adventure and a few friends as a plus. My Garmin is my techno friend. Its all good.

trackhub 03-21-10 02:14 PM

Looks like it worked. Thanks Weak Link.

BengeBoy 03-21-10 03:19 PM

All of the choices listed have to do with health and recreation.

Another option is commuting; still another is folks who live "car free" and use a bike as part of that lifestyle.

palookabutt 03-21-10 04:11 PM

I race time trials once in awhile: slowly and badly. I love to watch others race. Even if I don't know anyone in the race, it's fun to see friends and family cheer them on, to see rank amateurs in the throes of heroic efforts and to feel the tingle down my spine when a breakaway succeeds.

And as I've now passed the big 5-0, I appreciate all the more that once in a while my body still feels like a coiled spring eager to take on the steepest hills.

...even if I wind up in my granny gear at 5mph... :lol:

The Weak Link 03-21-10 04:45 PM

Anyways, I note that contrary to popular opinion most cyclists here are pretty laid back.

I should have included bike commuting as a choice, but to my way of thinking that seems to be included in the mental health and fitness choices. I realize some people think more globally about that than I do.

As for me, I'm just in it for the babes.

Randochap 03-21-10 04:49 PM

Most of those could describe me at one time or another. I've mostly been a randonneur for a few years, with some tours thrown in. Quit racing in my 40s.

Right now though, after a serious injury last summer, I'm happy to get in a few kilometres around the neighbourhood and on the nearby trail (MUP, as they are often referred to on BF) breathe fresh air and listen to the birds sing in the hedgerows. Hoping I can get back to long-distance in a year or two.

Hermes 03-21-10 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10557391)
Anyways, I note that contrary to popular opinion most cyclists here are pretty laid back.

I should have included bike commuting as a choice, but to my way of thinking that seems to be included in the mental health and fitness choices. I realize some people think more globally about that than I do.

As for me, I'm just in it for the babes.

I thought "other" covered whatever could not be included in the first 9 choices.:thumb: BTW, how is the "I'm in it for the babes" working out for you?:D

The Weak Link 03-21-10 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 10557475)
I thought "other" covered whatever could not be included in the first 9 choices.:thumb: BTW, how is the "I'm in it for the babes" working out for you?:D

Still on my first marriage after 31 years. I figure it's working pretty well.

What did you think I was referring to? :innocent:

JanMM 03-21-10 06:07 PM

I ride to hear little kids say "Hey.....cool bike!"
It's about the bike.

scroca 03-21-10 06:09 PM

I checked the first 3, though the only riding I do is work commuting.

Hermes 03-21-10 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10557704)
Still on my first marriage after 31 years. I figure it's working pretty well.

What did you think I was referring to? :innocent:

I saw the "s" at the end of babe.:innocent: