Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saddle choices after da Vinci robotic system Prostate removal

I did a search and read an archive post on this subject...
    found one mainly dealing with the surgery and what to expect........

I had my Prostate removed via. the da Vinci robotic system Aug 2009...
    Only One Night stay in the hospital.....Doctor told me to stay off the bike for 6 months.....

OK it's been 6 months and I got the OK from My Doc....to ride again......YeeeHaaaa

Need to start training for a MS150 two day ride in late June 2010

HELP........

I'm looking for REAL TIME experience on which Saddle Option is the best for all us “Prostate-Less” Guys………..

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hope you do not have the problem I had- it took 4 years to find a saddle that was comfortable for more than 2 weeks.

My problem was that the body kept changing internally to adjust to the lack of the prostate.--But there is hope. First of all you must get an anatonical saddle with the cutout. Get the width right and don't go for a plush saddle. Fairly firm with just a bit of give in it and the two I found that eventually worked were the San Marco "Aero" and the flite "Gel Maxl"

But saddle fit is crucial. Make certain you have the sit bones on the wings of the saddle. Adjust for and aft till you get this right. Then adjust the nose till you can barely feel it. It is there for support and not weight bearing. This may mean that you are sliding forward so either adjust the nose up a bit- and possibly bring the saddle forward. a bit. Takes a bit of time to get right- but one word of warning- It can get expensive.

I was riding MTB's and I did find that the upright position was the main cause of the problem. Once I got a bit more length into my body position- I had a lot less pain. The expense side for me came in that it cost me a new bike (Or 4) to cease the problem. I went road and on that first road bike-I lost a lot of pain. On the 2nd bike I had a higher saddle to bar height and a longer frame- That improved it a lot. So much so that I bought the 3rd bike to replace the first one that was causing butt pain still. Then walked into the LBS one day- sat on a bike and NO BUTT PAIN--- I bought it.

Have gone back to the MTB for many rides and changed the saddle- adjusted the ride stance- but the upright position is my main cause of pain- and still is to an extent.

So get the right type of saddle-Adjust it to get the weight bearing on the sit bones- Adjust the bars down so you feel that you are riding with your head between your knees and you should be fine. Worked for me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle for Prostate

Had the procedure two years ago at age 56, I have gotten back into riding the last year and half. Typically do my 18 mile loop 3 times a week and a longer 55 mile ride with about 4500 ft of climbing on the weekend which at 58 is enough for me. I've tried several saddles, the best I have found is the Selle Italia Gel Flow Max Flite. It has a cut out, you don't go numb and it is very comfortable. I tried the Selle Italia Prolink, I found it too hard after about 40 miles. I also tried keeping the Fizik Arione that came with my bike (LOOK 555) but I went numb and it offered little comfort. I ride a rode bike and after surgery about 8 months later I did the MS150.

One thing I'll say about the Da Vinci procedure is it works. You'll find once you start putting in the miles you don't even miss your prostrate.
    Last edited by Philipaparker; 03-23-10 at 08:29 PM.

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before and after surgery, I rode a HPV StreetMachine recumbent bike.
    Then in a couple years I got back on an upright bike, often changing saddles.
    A Terry Liberator seemed ok.
    Then I went to a Brooks B17, which was very nice.
    Next I tried a B68, not quite right - saddle is intended for a slightly different ride than it was mounted on.
    Then the Brooks Imperial came out - It is great for me !!
    The recumbent is still the most comfortable.
    ride long & prosper

My Bikes
    Eriksen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 months! My doc told me a month but I cut that back to two weeks, maybe a bit more. I've been riding a Selle Anatomica for quite awhile. I knew there would be no problem. There weren't. I wouldn't trade it for any other saddle.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider this one. While I haven't had your surgery, I can tell you that it is very prostate friendly.
    Attachment 143253

It's from John Cobb Cycling.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did not have prostate removed but opted for seed implants instead. That was about 5 years ago.
    About 3 weeks off the bike then back to my regular saddle. No problems.
    Currently ride a San Marco Integra on our tandem and Fizik Alliante on my single.
    Am 77 years old, still ride 100+ miles a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out these saddles. might be the answer. Never tried but many triathlon users and they have a lot of hours in the saddle. http://www.cobbcycling.com/

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Hopefully you can use your existing saddle. Every guy heals differently to the surgery. Some feel knife like pains when sitting on their old saddle the first time and for others there is no pain. If you do have issues you may want to look at these saddles. http://www.hobsonseats.com/# Enjoy

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Risking ire from the DF racer boy crowd, why not move over to a recumbent. You probably wouldnt have waited so long to be released by your doctor to ride.

My Bikes
    2010 Giant Rapid - Older Trek 820 - 1970 Schwinn Continental
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had da Vinci surgery a little over 2 years ago. I really did not start riding until about 1.5 years after surgery. I now average about 100 miles a week commuting to and from work about 3 times a week (35 mile round trip). Although I only ride 17.5 miles at a time, I have had no trouble with the stock saddles on the three bikes that I have ridden.
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    Older Trek 820
    1970 Schwinn Continental