Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about things and have changed my mind.

He does not want me to take a test ride, as I might damage the bike. "You drop it, you bought it" were his words to me. I really do not want to buy a bike I have not had a test ride on.

My current Lemond is really a great bike, and I love riding it.

It is about 80 miles to his place.

And, to top it all off, tomorrow is supposed to be a great day, the wife will be gone, AND I WANT TO TAKE A RIDE!!

There will be plenty of good deals here in Denver within 20 miles, so I will just keep my eye open.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He could not sell the bike for weeks at $2050, so, - you guessed it -------------------------------------------------- he raised the price to $2500.00

07 Lemond Victorie DuraAce carbon road bike 55cm *REVISED* - $2500 (Boulder)

Felt it was a good "Spring" price.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1655888978.html
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Denver,
    My 08 Buenos Aires (also size 55) is the same frame and it is a very fine bike and should fit fine if you are riding a 55 Lemond currently. The size 55 compact frame has a pretty long top tube. The asking price is great. I say go for it if you can afford it! (There is a small risk of you getting feisty if you buy this... it's a sporting ride.)
    Not a problem.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a real nutcase. No matter what about the bike, it's best to avoid him. Good call.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take it to an LBS and see if they can tweak it to fit you. The price is certainly good and it looks like a really nice top end bike. Far fancier than anything I have shelled out for.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Are the chips a problem in carbon?
    CF is short for Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic, it works a little like steel reinforced concrete, or glass fibre reinforced plastic (fibreglass).

You essentially weave a very thin cloth out of the carbon fibres, and then use a plastic resin to hold layers of cloth together and in place, and to protect the very strong, but fairly fragile carbon fibre from damage. The plastic resin is very light, but not very strong, after all it's plastic! When a bike has chips, those chips, if surface probably don't mean much, if they are deep though, they could go through a number of layers of the carbon fibre, if enough layers of the fibres are broken, then the loss of strength, causes more fibres to exceed the breaking point, which causes more loss of strength, causing more fibres to break. What is often termed a cascade failure. Any cloth has a bias, where it's stronger in one dimension then the other, and these days most if not all CF frames are made by alternating the bias with each layer, similar to the way plywood uses alternating grain to make the wood stronger.

If the chips are just the normal, road riding damage, then there probably isn't a concern, a bike that has only seen 100-200 miles shouldn't have many though, and if it does then the seller is lying about the mileage, so then there comes another problem, are they lying about anything else? Scrapes would be the real concern though, because scrapes mean the bike has been dropped, and may have been in a collision. CF is good at hiding internal damage, a collision may have broken some layers of fibres without it appearing on the outside, the only way to tell is to XRay the frame. Sometimes a really good deal is because the seller knows that the bike has been damaged, and wants to get out as much as they can, to buy a new bike.

I personally wouldn't buy a used CF bike, unless I personally knew it's history. For example if we were in the same city, and riding with the same club, and I still remember when you bought your CF bike, and I know it's never been dropped or in a collision, then I would consider buying it. From some guy off fleabay or CL, I've never met before, uh no.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    CF is short for Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic, it works a little like steel reinforced concrete, or glass fibre reinforced plastic (fibreglass).

I personally wouldn't buy a used CF bike, unless I personally knew it's history. For example if we were in the same city, and riding with the same club, and I still remember when you bought your CF bike, and I know it's never been dropped or in a collision, then I would consider buying it. From some guy off fleabay or CL, I've never met before, uh no.
    Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. I have decided not to purchase the bike.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He could not sell the bike for weeks at $2050, so, - you guessed it -------------------------------------------------- he raised the price to $2500.00

07 Lemond Victorie DuraAce carbon road bike 55cm *REVISED* - $2500 (Boulder)

Felt it was a good "Spring" price.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1655888978.html
    Whaaat? He didn't get a buyer at $2,050 so he raised the price another $450?? I hope his "failing health condition" is not mental health...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. I have decided not to purchase the bike.
    Good thing not to spend time or money on. From your prior post it seems something is fishy. Nothing makes sense unless one assumes there is something seriously wrong with the bike that will be revealed with a test ride; or the guy is just psycho.

As for how delicate carbon fibre bike are: I don't know about all of them. But, the ones I have looked at have the carbon fibre structural members wrapped with a strong protective material like Kevlar. As long as the individual fibres are not damaged the bike is strong. If they are damaged the bike, or anything else made of carbon fibre needs either repair or replacement. For bikes I suspect most times it is replacement. So, if it is a cosmetic chip, like you would see on your automobile; no problem. If when you look at the damage it is obviously through the protective wrapper it needs attention.

If you haven't left yet when I get to town you can see some chips in my bike that are just cosmetic.

This stuff isn't new, or that exotic really. Just like any other material it has its' pluses and minuses. One just has to work with them.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Sounds like a real nutcase. No matter what about the bike, it's best to avoid him. Good call.
    +1 on that.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Selle Italia gel flight titanium matched to frame in yellow
    Seems a little extreme to me to buy a whole bike just to get the yellow saddle you're looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12