User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is This A Good Bike for me?

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1655888978.html - for pictures

Strange as it may seem, I am getting a slight hunger for a new bike. I would guess I am between a 55cm and a 57 cm - my current Lemond BA is 55 cm - in that range. I haven't kept up with bikes lately. My 98 Lemond is - well - a 98 - too bad it runs so well!!

What say you 50+'rs?

========================================================

"2007 Full carbon fiber frame and forks, it’s a men’s 55cm in perfect condition ridden less than 150 miles in its whole life. This bicycle is in mint condition and perfectly tuned Asking 2050.00. Retailed for $5599.99 Reasonable offers will be considered.

One chip on non drive side fork at skewer receiver and one 1/2 BB size chip one seat tube by the logo. No other

303-667-6001 calls only. Please leave message if I don’t answer right away.
    Email if you want to see a couple more pictures.

Description.
    New silver Fitzik silver bar tape with new matching cable housing.
    DuraAce components complete throughout (triple crank)
    Race X Carbon seat post
    Race X carbon bars 44cm
    Race X wheel set
    New Selle Italia gel flight titanium matched to frame in yellow
    Bontrager hard case tires (less than 40 miles)

Optional Items: Separate from asking price
    Giro Pneumo helmet small like new $40.00 was $99.99new **SOLD**
    SIDI Dominator 5 shoes size 44.5 with crank bros cleats good condition $85.00 was $239.99 new**SOLD**
    Complete tire repair and tool kit. $35.00 was $54.99
    Crank Bros 2Ti egg beater pedals $150.00 was 239.99 new
    Race XXX carbon water bottle cages sold as a set only $65.00 was $56.99 X 2 new**SOLD**

So here’s the deal, I originally purchased it from the TREK STORE BOULDER and they have record of original first owner sale to me (55999.99 was the retail price). I’m forced to sell due to failing health conditions.

303-667-6001 calls only. Please leave message if I don’t answer right away.
    Email if you want to see a couple more pictures.

I will not ship it or deliver it or entertain any out of state offers. You must turn up at my house in East Boulder and pick it up in person. Payment is in American cash only, no checks or trades of any kind. I’m not parting it out will it be sold as a whole unit except for parts listed above under the optional category."
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I ride so you know what I'm going to say.

My only suggestion is to reconcile the differing descriptions. BIG difference between a full carbon bike and a metal/carbon mix. With what you already own I think you'd be disappointed with a mix materials bike.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Wilier Mortirolo Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't go near a carbon bike that had ANY sort of chips in it - unless I knew how they got there. (I assume the price is incorrect)

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a good deal to me, but I probably wouldn't buy it cause my 98 BA is red and this one isn't.
    I have been keeping my eye out for a titanium lemond in a 57 size.

pedo viejo
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get serious about it, I recommend you take it to a bike shop you trust and get their opinion on whether it'll fit you properly. As I understand it, all 55cm/56cm/whatever-cm frames are not alike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
    I wouldn't go near a carbon bike that had ANY sort of chips in it - unless I knew how they got there. (I assume the price is incorrect)
    You are entitled to your opinion. After all it is your money and your ride. But, modern carbon bikes are pretty sturdy things. Carbon fibre is used today in a wide variety of critical applications from airplane structures to bikes to watercraft, and so on. Properly designed and put together it has proven itself to be a very worthwhile material.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue I see, is that LeMonds are known for a longer top tube than usual for a given size. This bike may fit your legs but the reach may be too short. I don't know either bike, so I can't say for certain.

If he lets you test ride it around the block, that should tell you if the reach is too short or not.

Otherwise, why not go for it?

EDIT: Oh, they're both LeMonds. Didn't click the links.

In that case, it's yellow, and everyone should own a yellow bike at least once in their lifetime, so buy it.

The other required color is red. I'm looking for a red one.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    The only issue I see, is that LeMonds are known for a longer top tube than usual for a given size. This bike may fit your legs but the reach may be too short. I don't know either bike, so I can't say for certain.

If he lets you test ride it around the block, that should tell you if the reach is too short or not.

Otherwise, why not go for it?

EDIT: Oh, they're both LeMonds. Didn't click the links.

In that case, it's yellow, and everyone should own a yellow bike at least once in their lifetime, so buy it.

The other required color is red. I'm looking for a red one.
    The reason I bought Lemond originally was because I have short legs and a long upper body.

(I already have a yellow bike - so that part is taken care of - a Lemond 98 BA).

Thanks, all, for the feedback!!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-26-10 at 01:45 PM.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should know better! You are way too old and decrepit for that bike - if you ride it you will probably start wanting to go faster or ride further and you should know better than that - to have such crazy thoughts at your age. Now sit back down in your rocking chair and act your age.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    You should know better! You are way too old and decrepit for that bike - if you ride it you will probably start wanting to go faster or ride further and you should know better than that - to have such crazy thoughts at your age. Now sit back down in your rocking chair and act your age.
    Don't listen to this guy, why he thinks it's still wintertime!!

Dnvr. , I know little to nothing about CF material, but I do know that when a cyclist wants a bike he should ought to go out and try it on for size. If it fits and if he likes it, then he should buy it.

Enjoy the hunt, and if you indeed bag the bike....we'll be anxious for ride report and pics.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of our local Trek dealers have 2010 Madone 6.9 for under 6k so I think the price is a bit high for a 07.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should start a work out program before buying a bike like that, and it is YELLOW! Being from Denver you should stick with ORANGE!

OH YEAH, you are the OLD guy who works out 8 days a week, twice a day. Sorry.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,
    My 08 Buenos Aires (also size 55) is the same frame and it is a very fine bike and should fit fine if you are riding a 55 Lemond currently. The size 55 compact frame has a pretty long top tube. The asking price is great. I say go for it if you can afford it! (There is a small risk of you getting feisty if you buy this... it's a sporting ride.)

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    1983 SR road bike, 1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel. Just sayin'

1988 Peugeot PY-10/P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamondback "Response Elite" MTB, 2002 Performance M201 MTB and a 1983 SR road bike that has become my favorite ride. At least for now.

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Dnvr.......fools rush in and get the best seats. While you all were dithering, I just bought the bike. I'm expecting one sweet ride. I'll post a ride report and pics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Many of our local Trek dealers have 2010 Madone 6.9 for under 6k so I think the price is a bit high for a 07.
    Somehow, I am not following your logic.

You are saying, in essence (forget the Madones) that the asking price of $2,050 is too high?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shp4man View Post
    Steel. Just sayin'
    I've got steel, steel, steel, and steel.

Thought I might try something different!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got out my invoice (12-29-1998) for my 1999 Lemond (not a 98, as I thought).

"99 Buenos Aires TPL 55 CM YLLW" - $1,399.99

With computer, large wedge and some extra work I had done plus tax the whole thing came to $1,684.39. This was 105 with a carbon fork and Reynolds 853 steel.

Seems to me that the $2,050 (or a lesser offer) for near new DA, carbon bars, etc., would be a reasonable figure.

I would need to have the stem lengthened, as I would want to be a lot higher than in a racing position. Is this going to be a problem (I currently have a quill stem).

Are the chips a problem in carbon?

Anyway, I won't have an opportunity to see it until next week, if that soon. I will give a call today to see if it is still available.

I do feel that I could resell without too much of a loss if things did not work out.

Wife says to go ahead. She can't say a lot as she spends more on clothes - by a lot - then the cost of the bike in a year, and I spend absolutely nothing on clothes, except to replace underwear and socks, and not much on anything else. Even my computers are "refurbished" - last laptop was $299.00.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-27-10 at 06:22 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done an extensive test ride (two days and 80 miles) on this model. It's a great bike. Given your knowledge about longer upper torso and shorter legs, I'd see if I could get some specific measurements and compare to your current setup. Then since you've got the support of your wife....PULL THE TRIGGER!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shp4man View Post
    Steel. Just sayin'

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice RB-1. I'll be riding mine later today.
    Haddock.jpg
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called the guy to see the bike on MOnday.

He siad to be sure and call him first as he had received a lot of hits on the craigslist site.

I didn't have the heart to tell him it was you guys checking out the bike!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you call be sure to tell him what the hits were. A bit of pre-negotiatiion softening up, eh?

When I bought mine off Craig's List I had the advantage that a Bike Flipper had made an offer the day before I made mine. He wanted a steal. I only wanted a Good Deal. She was very happy with my offer.

Even with the tune and a new large gear it was a bargain and compared to what a rental bike would have cost over this time I'm money ahead; while having a lot more fun.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 03-27-10 at 06:07 PM.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,
    The chips are hard to evaluate due to the poor pictures at the Craigslist site. If they go deep and are not just surface layer scratches then caution might be in order. Perhaps someone with more experience with CF will chime in on that question. As to the stem/fit issue: I have size 55 Lemond with the traditional frame (steel Wayzata) and a CF Beunos Aires size 55 and cockpit size on them is about the same. I believe you have long torso and short legs. So do I. I would not anticipate a fit problem.

The stem on the new bke looks like it is already flipped up and is a pretty short one so there may not be too much adjustment possible there. But these types of stems are easy to replace if you need to do that. Judging from the pictures, you will probably need to lower the saddle a good bit to achieve a decent fit for the test ride, which will obviously mean you are raising the relative height of the stem.

These are great bikes but be aware that this bike is a lghtweight sports car and in no way the family sedan. If you get it, you may have serious problems keeping up with your low HR training program!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billydonn; 03-27-10 at 08:21 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Denver,
    The chips are hard to evaluate due to the poor pictures at the Craigslist site. If they go deep and are not just surface layer scratches then caution might be in order. Perhaps someone with more experience with CF will chime in on that question. As to the stem/fit issue: I have size 55 Lemond with the traditional frame (steel Wayzata) and a CF Beunos Aires size 55 and cockpit size on them is about the same. I believe you have long torso and short legs. So do I. I would not anticipate a fit problem.

The stem on the new bke looks like it is already flipped up and is a pretty short one so there may not be too much adjustment possible there. But these types of stems are easy to replace if you need to do that. Judging from the pictures, you will probably need to lower the saddle a good bit to achieve a decent fit for the test ride, which will obviously mean you are raising the relative height of the stem.

These are great bikes but be aware that this bike is a lghtweight sports car and in no way the family sedan. If you get it, you may have serious problems keeping up with your low HR training program!
    Thanks for the great response(s) Billy and everyone!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast