Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stop signs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop signs

I at least slow down, clip out and be prepared. Some run without doing either, even with cars nearby. What's your opinion?
Old 03-08-10, 09:42 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
It really pisses off drivers when they see bicycles running stops. I just try to respect the other guy.
Old 03-08-10, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane77g
I at least slow down, clip out and be prepared. Some run without doing either, even with cars nearby. What's your opinion?
There are really 3 kinds of stop signs:

Reminders, found at the intersection of a smaller and larger street, with the hope that you stop and look, before proceeding.

Sorters, these are found at intersections of streets that may seem equal, but may have different traffic flows, usually the less busy street has the stop sign, if traffic is equal on both streets, a 4 way stop may be used, the idea is to sort out the traffic.

Political stops, these are multi-directional stops where the only purpose of using a 4 way as opposed to a 2 way stop, is political in nature, traffic flows and street size are often vastly different, but rather then ticket speeders, they install stop signs to slow down the traffic. In theory this should work, it really doesn't though, because lead foot drivers will simply use lots more gas, and create a lot more pollution to get back to cruising speed.

I usually stop for stop signs that are reminders and sorters, although when you get the 27th political stop within 1km on a ride, sometimes, I will admit to going slowly through, providing there is NO cross traffic. This will be in a gear I am comfortable stopping in though. Stop lights, always stop, too many cagers see a green light and don't look for traffic. The first thing you learn though in any kind of defensive driving course is to expect that the other guy will, given the chance, do something stupid. I apply the same rules when riding.
Old 03-08-10, 10:25 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I normally stop unless there are no vehicles in sight, then I'll just slow a bit.
Old 03-08-10, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pretty simple -- even in my messy state, I can trackstand long enough to check for traffic, and if traffic is coming, I can easily unclip and put a foot down. If nothing is coming, I'm gone.

The guy who has led the Ride of Silence the last two years here has mad skills for traffic riding; he put his foot down ONCE during the whole ride each year. He trackstands through stoplight cycles and all.
Old 03-08-10, 11:41 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a commerical truck driver, mostly within large cities, I see cyclists running stop signs and red lights all the time. Aside from pissing other road users off, they're playing a form of Russian roulette. Unfortunately, I see several cyclists splattered every year, mostly from failing to stop, or trying to pass on the right between parked vehicles and large trucks or busses.
Old 03-09-10, 12:03 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Rule Number 1: Don't EVER violate the right-of-way of another vehicle.

That said, I tend to follow the Idaho law-- treat a Red Light like a Stop Sign, and a Stop Sign like a Yield Sign. But I always follow Rule Number 1.

If there are other vehicles going in my direction, I queue up with the rest of them, and don't filter to the front.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 03-09-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 02:36 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On quiet side streets where there's little traffic I come almost to a stop and check for traffic. If there is cross-traffic I'll stop and put a foot down even when I can balance without doing so, just to let the drivers know that I'm not intending to go right through the intersection. Most drivers I encounter seem to be waiting for me to go, regardless of who has the right of way. Maybe they're used to bikes bombing through stop signs without even slowing down.
Old 03-09-10, 02:40 AM
山馬鹿

Bikes: Nakagawa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My opinion is that I slow down enough at stop signs so that i can stop in the event of a car coming from any direction. My rule is that I run stop signs but I never force a car to brake as a result.

The advantage around here is that a lot of stop signs have mirrors around so I can clearly see around the corner before approaching and I can go through pretty quickly.

Old 03-09-10, 03:24 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Big Lew ~ thanks for sharing that with us
Old 03-09-10, 04:05 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Muscle memory. I watch drivers roll through stop signs (where there is no one coming) at speed every day. Several times a day I watch drivers roll through stop signs when there is someone coming. The two concepts are linked together. Train for what you do and do what you train.
Old 03-09-10, 04:23 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will slow down with intent of clipping out if needed. If all is clear I will roll through if not I stop and wait.
Track stand skills are no up to snuff yet but I can almost stand still long enough, my problem is if I don't I am scared to fall Tombay style.
Old 03-09-10, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Come to a full stop. Carefully scan for bogies approaching the intersection, proceed when clear. It's all habit and has worked for me for over 50 years on bikes and cars. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Paul
Old 03-09-10, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I don't usually come to a full stop, but I'll slow enough that I can look each way for several seconds before proceeding.
Old 03-09-10, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Illiterate?
Old 03-09-10, 11:06 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doohickie
rule number 1: Don't ever violate the right-of-way of another vehicle.

That said, i tend to follow the oregon law-- treat a red light like a stop sign, and a stop sign like a yield sign. But i always follow rule number 1.

If there are other vehicles going in my direction, i queue up with the rest of them, and don't filter to the front.
x2
Old 03-09-10, 11:09 AM
weights are heavy

Bikes: CAAD9 5 (09)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally depends on the intersection for me.
If it's a 'political' intersection on a small street I'll make sure no one's coming then usually blow the sign.
Anywhere closer to downtown I usually slow and then proceed.
I only put my foot down to assure oncoming/turning drivers that I'm not going to blow the sign
My favourite move is getting up beside a car that has already stopped and shadowing it through the intersection so I don't have to stop.
I pretty much never blow a sign if there is already a car stopped or waiting.
Red lights. Always stop. Nothing bothers me more than someone blowing past me on my left to run a red light.
Old 03-09-10, 11:10 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
In town I pretty much stop at all stop signs and stop and go lights. In the country with no traffic in sight, I don't hesitate to run it.
Old 03-09-10, 11:24 AM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless there really is no traffic anywhere nearby and visibility is good, I stop/trackstand. I wouldn't blow through in my car, so I don't on my bike, either.
Old 03-09-10, 11:52 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Situational. If cross traffic, also most always stop. Only exception is at four way with traffic next to me stopping and adjusting speed so I start about the same time they do. Usually I'm going about 5 mph. If no cross traffic, always slow down and drop speed to less than 10. This is stop signs only. Stop lights, always unclip at least one foot and stop.
Old 03-09-10, 12:10 PM
Freddin' it

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Opinion? Doesn't matter, but laws do. You want to ride on the road, follow the rules of the road.
Old 03-09-10, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Red lights and I obey- Green lights and I take care.

Most towns over here are getting cycle conscious. 3 ft wide bike lanes at kerbs and special areas at junctions in front of the cars for bikes. What is better is that Car drivers are respecting these areas.

So my feeling is that Councils have accomodated us- Car drivers have to- so I should respect the car drivers if I want respect back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike lane.jpg (90.3 KB, 14 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 03-09-10, 02:47 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
You want to ride on the road, follow the rules of the road.
Get real. If I did that, I'd have to stop 4 times on my way out of my sub at "political" stop signs along a downhill thru road at the entrance to several small residential courts. In 25 years of living here and regularly driving my car that way, I have never seen a car coming the other way at any of those signs -- they are there strictly to attempt to slow cars down.

I'm pretty much with rck -- I always obey the signs fully when there is other traffic present, but otherwise if there is nobody in sight, I go on through.

Last year on a big organized ride, a number of cycles were riding through a fairly busy town. I stopped at a four-way along with a number of other cyclists and allowed a car to the right to proceed. Just then, some a-hole cyclist came blasting by our whole group into the intersection, causing the motorist to have to slam his brakes on. Then of course we got the dirty look!
Old 03-09-10, 02:48 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
You want to ride on the road, follow the rules of the road.
If I did that, I'd have to stop 4 times on my way out of my sub at "political" stop signs along a (downhill) thru road at the entrances to several small residential courts. In 25 years of living here and regularly driving my car that way, I have never seen a car coming the other way at any of those signs -- they are there strictly to attempt to slow cars down.

I'm pretty much with rck -- I always obey the signs fully when there is other traffic present, but otherwise if there is nobody in sight, I go on through.

Last year on a big organized ride, a number of cycles were riding through a fairly busy town. I stopped at a four-way along with a number of other cyclists and allowed a car to the right to proceed. Just then, some a-hole cyclist came blasting by our whole group into the intersection, causing the motorist to have to slam his brakes on. Then of course we got the dirty looks!
Old 03-09-10, 03:00 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by palookabutt
Unless there really is no traffic anywhere nearby and visibility is good, I stop/trackstand. I wouldn't blow through in my car, so I don't on my bike, either.
+1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.