Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My favorite road -- almost ready for a ride!

    The Washington State Department of Transportation posted some snow-clearing photos on their website this week....they're clearing one of the great highways in the US, the North Cascades Highway.

    This week:



    My bike at the same location last June:



    Downhill from the sign, headed east toward the Methow Valley:




    Summer view:



    Here's the guy doing all the hard work. Do you think I could tuck right in behind him and draft all the way up the pass?



    Summer is almost here...
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 03-26-10 at 08:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wonder how long it would take that to clear my driveway if they cleared driveways with it that is.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,938
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    The Washington State Department of Transportation posted some snow-clearing photos on their website this week....they're clearing one of the great highways in the US, the North Cascades Highway.



    Here's the guy doing all the hard work. Do you think I could tuck right in behind him and draft all the way up the pass?


    That is one big snow blower, you can bet on 3 things:

    1) It goes less then 10MPH, when blowing.
    2) It gets about 1MPG (3MPG when just driving along).
    3) Filling the fuel tanks would cost about a grand.

    I see lots of spring indicators around here, the Hyacinths are up, the tulips are up, the daffodils are up, the roses show some shoots and greening, the lilac tree next door looks ready to explode, even the pear tree looks ready to pop. Right now it's -5℃, next Friday is calling for a high of 20℃, that warmth will cause everything from a look of lacklustre to full green by the following Monday. I think this is winters last hurrah....

  4. #4
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    That is one big snow blower, you can bet on 3 things:

    1) It goes less then 10MPH, when blowing.
    2) It gets about 1MPG (3MPG when just driving along).
    3) Filling the fuel tanks would cost about a grand.

    I see lots of spring indicators around here, the Hyacinths are up, the tulips are up, the daffodils are up, the roses show some shoots and greening, the lilac tree next door looks ready to explode, even the pear tree looks ready to pop. Right now it's -5℃, next Friday is calling for a high of 20℃, that warmth will cause everything from a look of lacklustre to full green by the following Monday. I think this is winters last hurrah....
    On machines like that, fuel consumption is rated hourly, not by mileage.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  5. #5
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,938
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    On machines like that, fuel consumption is rated hourly, not by mileage.
    Yeah I know, but at that rate it would be equivalent to about 1MPG.....

  6. #6
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cascade concrete - sure beats a shovel.
    I need one of those since my snow blower went toes up on the last big wet dump.

    I would love to come out and ride that road in late summer. I remember a lot of your pics and they are spectacular. I will need to get my camera out and start being better about taking pics of my rides in the Daks. Miles and miles of trees lakes and streams.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern california
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Posts
    3,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is nice to see the winter pass and spring in full force. Back in January, second picture, this hill was almost impossible to climb because of the cold but the first picture taken a few days ago shows a great improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    11,962
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, that's what I call snow. here's a road I like. nothing special except to me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a Google Maps street view tour of your favourite road. I found the sign and the hairpin turn.

    I want to ride there.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How late in the Summer/Fall can a person ride there?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    How late in the Summer/Fall can a person ride there?
    WSDOT says they usually close the highway in late November/early December.

    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    WSDOT says they usually close the highway in late November/early December.

    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades
    Making my Fall plans. Am thinking about spending some time in the Puget Sound area. Mind you just a thought at this point.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

  13. #13
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Woodlands Tx
    My Bikes
    2001 Cannondale R2000 with over 70,000 miles on it
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow? What's that?

    and what's a snow blower?

    Sarge

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Making my Fall plans. Am thinking about spending some time in the Puget Sound area. Mind you just a thought at this point.
    Late September/early October should be a great time -- if you aren't able to get all the way up to the North Cascades, you can certainly do one of the rides up to Mt. Rainier in late September/early October, just as the ride up to Sunrise, or a loop around the southern part of Mt. Rainier -- Ashford/Longmire/Paradise/Stephens Canyon. The roads in Mt. Rainier can close by mid to late October.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •