Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Banned. The Weak Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Post-partisan Paradise
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Posts
    4,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Take a chill pill, Bill

    Bill = mods.

    Seems like we go through this about every 18 months where the mods justify their existence in this peaceful backwater forum by moving things hither and yon, and locking threads.

    To me, the 50+ forum could be entitled ElderFoo, where (most of us) gather to whine about prostate problems and colonoscopies, with an occasional cycling thread tossed in to keep the Feds off our back.

    Why the Girl Scout cookie thread was moved to Foo is beyond me. As I am married and not on the make, I have no use for Foo and wouldn't have caught the thread if it were posted there originally.

    Then there was the broken glass thread, which was heavily encoded and involved Baby Bikes and Brother Bikes and a bunch of stuff I wasn't sure I understood. However, none of the posts were inflammatory or rude. I even caught myself kind of agreeing with BluesDawg, which I never do. It scared the heck out of me, to be honest.

    Just two short years ago posters would fire barbs at the administration in power and other than suffering occasional return fire (often by me) they were left unchecked. The one time I complained to the moderators about the political nature of a thread I was told to go stuff it.

    If the conversation is polite I don't think the moderators should get involved. If they do, they need to be even-handed about it.

    If you need help with that concept, ask me to join the moderators and I'll keep it fair and balanced around here.

    Otherwise chill out. You'll going to have to get used to the concepts of "question authority" and "ignore alien orders" now that you're the aliens.

    I guess that's about it.

  2. #2
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forwarded your message to Tom Stormcrowe, forum admin with a plea to please leave us alone unless we call for help, which was the final formal agreement we had last time a new mod started playing with threads.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I had a thread moved to Foo when it didn't suit the mods taste. While at the same time really unfriendly, rabble rousing threads in other areas of the Forum were not touched.

    Look Owners, we know you make money off this enterprise. We also know you set the rules. But, we also know if you are not able to contain your heavy handed ways we will go away and so will your enterprise.

    As the old Pink Floyd song goes: "... leave us alone".
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

  4. #4
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad we got hit again. Hopefully with a little discussion they will leave threads alone. We don't want them to go away - they are bikers too and add to the discussion. DF has been through this before - he know how to talk nice and get things back on track.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh...go away as Mods. Most of us wear multiple hats. The intelligence and skill comes from selecting the proper role at the proper time.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

  6. #6
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Let me look into it. I just got back from a trip on Monday and have been out of the loop after a hospitalization prior to the trip. I'm a little out of the loop.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  7. #7
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    By the way, instead of opening a protest thread, feel free to PM me anytime. I've never been unapproachable, and I'm a 50+er, as well.

    Foolike threads won't be moved. If the thread goes into political or religious grounds, though, they will get moved to P&R, just like any of the other forums.
    Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 03-28-10 at 04:23 PM.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,978
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Bill = mods.

    Seems like we go through this about every 18 months where the mods justify their existence in this peaceful backwater forum by moving things hither and yon, and locking threads.

    To me, the 50+ forum could be entitled ElderFoo, where (most of us) gather to whine about prostate problems and colonoscopies, with an occasional cycling thread tossed in to keep the Feds off our back.

    Why the Girl Scout cookie thread was moved to Foo is beyond me. As I am married and not on the make, I have no use for Foo and wouldn't have caught the thread if it were posted there originally.

    Then there was the broken glass thread, which was heavily encoded and involved Baby Bikes and Brother Bikes and a bunch of stuff I wasn't sure I understood. However, none of the posts were inflammatory or rude. I even caught myself kind of agreeing with BluesDawg, which I never do. It scared the heck out of me, to be honest.

    Just two short years ago posters would fire barbs at the administration in power and other than suffering occasional return fire (often by me) they were left unchecked. The one time I complained to the moderators about the political nature of a thread I was told to go stuff it.

    If the conversation is polite I don't think the moderators should get involved. If they do, they need to be even-handed about it.

    If you need help with that concept, ask me to join the moderators and I'll keep it fair and balanced around here.

    Otherwise chill out. You'll going to have to get used to the concepts of "question authority" and "ignore alien orders" now that you're the aliens.

    I guess that's about it.
    Sorry, I haven't noticed what got "modded." What was it?

  9. #9
    Banned. The Weak Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Post-partisan Paradise
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Posts
    4,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Let me look into it. I just got back from a trip on Monday and have been out of the loop after a hospitalization prior to the trip. I'm a little out of the loop.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you get to feeling better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    By the way, instead of opening a protest thread, feel free to PM me anytime. I've never been unapproachable, and I'm a 50+er, as well.
    Now I know.

    But as a child of the 60's, protest is in my blood. I'd be an anarchist if it paid better.

    @ Road Fan: There was a thread about Girl Scout cookies that got ugly and turned violent, so they moved it to Foo. We need to just let it go.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW AR & Central LA
    Posts
    2,593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda wondered why the cookie thread got moved myself.

    OK, next time throw in some details about how they ride CF bikes, are clipless, and don't ride through any glass while they're peddling cookies.

  11. #11
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    @ Road Fan: There was a thread about Girl Scout cookies that got ugly and turned violent, so they moved it to Foo. We need to just let it go.
    We need to let a lot of things go...
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  12. #12
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

    There was a thread about Girl Scout cookies that got ugly and turned violent.... .
    Samoas will do that to you.

  13. #13
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have your Samoas, but leave my thin mints alone or bad things will happen

  14. #14
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT be dissin' Samoas, Jack...
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  15. #15
    '47
    '47 is offline
    Senior Member '47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I heard this story about a cyclist who rides across a patch of...........radial wires, or maybe it was thumb tacks, or maybe crumbled Samoas. Anyway, he flats. Which brings up the question of responsibility. I'm glad you asked me that...............................................

  16. #16
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,743
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samoas, thin mints, all good in my book. (coming from background, dd making cookiemonster gobbling noise)

  17. #17
    Banned. The Weak Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Post-partisan Paradise
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Posts
    4,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can have my thin mints when they pry them away from my cold dead fingers.

  18. #18
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cookies? I didn't see that thread. I like cookies.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

  19. #19
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    Cookies? I didn't see that thread. I like cookies.
    Really? Mixed with glass on the road when you have a flat tire?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  20. #20
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot have my Thin Mints.

    They are reserved for smart and beautiful wife who often eagerly accepts riding invitations and wonders if BF might just have offshored some mod functions.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  21. #21
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    Cookies? I didn't see that thread. I like cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Really? Mixed with glass on the road when you have a flat tire?
    Maybe I'm better off not seeing that thread.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

  22. #22
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,152
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the cookie fight, DF hooked TWL's walker with his cane and all hell broke loose. We can't have that kind of rough housing here in the rest home so it had to be moved to Foo.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,978
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you get to feeling better.



    Now I know.

    But as a child of the 60's, protest is in my blood. I'd be an anarchist if it paid better.

    @ Road Fan: There was a thread about Girl Scout cookies that got ugly and turned violent, so they moved it to Foo. We need to just let it go.
    Ok, thanks.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,978
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    During the cookie fight, DF hooked TWL's walker with his cane and all hell broke loose. We can't have that kind of rough housing here in the rest home so it had to be moved to Foo.
    I had a feeling you permanent residents would get into trouble after I went home for dinner -- Sheesh!!

  25. #25
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,978
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    I kinda wondered why the cookie thread got moved myself.

    OK, next time throw in some details about how they ride CF bikes, are clipless, and don't ride through any glass while they're peddling cookies.
    Wait, you want those little Brownies to get moved to the Roadie forum? Are you crazy?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •