Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Young vs. Old – hope you laugh as I did

Setup: Group of 6 riders all solid members of the 50+ club. We are out to scope out a race course for one of our riders. Cruising along at a nice pace and I look back. I said we were about to be swallowed by the peleton. A group of about 20 or so 25 year old's in team kit blow by us.

Two of our riders just would not let this stand. One of our guys is on a full carbon recumbent and the other guy is one of the strongest riders I have ever known. As they catch the young bucks and pass them, one of the youngsters yells out, “Holy #%$&! I am being passed by a wheelchair”. Bent rider replies ” Yes and the other guy passing you is 60 years old also”.

My only regret is that I am not a strong enough rider to have seen this exchange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, at 60 years old, "boys will be boys".

Even in my prime I had no desire to chase someone who passed me. But, hey, I'm not normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post

“Holy #%$&! I am being passed by a wheelchair”. Bent rider replies ” Yes and the other guy passing you is 60 years old also”.

My only regret is that I am not a strong enough rider to have seen this exchange.
    YES! Absolutely LOL followed by a YESSSS! and a fist pump!

And I can hear one of your buddies, "...go ahead punk, make my day!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Still, at 60 years old, "boys will be boys". Even in my prime I had no desire to chase someone who passed me. But, hey, I'm not normal.
    Maybe you are missing the ROGUE MALE gene.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setup: Group of 6 riders all solid members of the 50+ club. We are out to scope out a race course for one of our riders. Cruising along at a nice pace and I look back. I said we were about to be swallowed by the peleton. A group of about 20 or so 25 year old's in team kit blow by us.

Two of our riders just would not let this stand. One of our guys is on a full carbon recumbent and the other guy is one of the strongest riders I have ever known. As they catch the young bucks and pass them, one of the youngsters yells out, “Holy #%$&! I am being passed by a wheelchair”. Bent rider replies ” Yes and the other guy passing you is 60 years old also”.

Good story and it does make you smile. In a reverse type of story we have a new rider with our group than lacks style or experience and only has one redeeming quality. He is 17 years old. Every week he gets better and soon he will be a major rider in our A group. Friday we were talking about our ride over coffee before we all headed home and the fact that we had several sprints during the ride one of which the 17 year old was dropped by one of our more experienced sprinters. As we teased the young rider about getting passed by an older rider he honestly replied, “Sometimes I just get tired and it takes at least a minute or two before I am ready to go again.” You could see the look on some of our faces as we tried to remember only needing a minute to recover from a full out sprint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Maybe you are missing the ROGUE MALE gene.
    I'm missing lots of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Good story and it does make you smile. In a reverse type of story we have a new rider with our group than lacks style or experience and only has one redeeming quality. He is 17 years old. Every week he gets better and soon he will be a major rider in our A group. Friday we were talking about our ride over coffee before we all headed home and the fact that we had several sprints during the ride one of which the 17 year old was dropped by one of our more experienced sprinters. As we teased the young rider about getting passed by an older rider he honestly replied, “Sometimes I just get tired and it takes at least a minute or two before I am ready to go again.” You could see the look on some of our faces as we tried to remember only needing a minute to recover from a full out sprint.
    Adjust you font please, it's real hard to read.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that the 'punk' called it a wheelchair is enough for me to say, "You got what you had coming, chump!"

Way to slap 'em down... even if it was just the two.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    “Sometimes I just get tired and it takes at least a minute or two before I am ready to go again.”
    Interesting quote.

My Bikes
    1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember going out with the boys when I was 15, I was 5.7 and had 4.0% body fat. One day our best Cat 2 got to draft me in the line. I wasn't up there maybe 3 minutes when he asked if I would please drop back because I didn't provide him anything to draft behind....

Well those days are gone, I have plenty to draft behind now, I just go too slow
    Last edited by canopus; 03-30-10 at 05:31 PM.
    1984 Cannondale ST
    1985 Cannondale SR300
    1980 Gary Littlejohn Cruiser
    1984 Trek 760
    1981 Trek 710
    Pics

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Interesting quote.
    Yes and both of us were talking about cycling.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I try things like that (emphasis on the try) my wife tells me that reaction must be " a man thing". However, during triathlons she does not show much mercy to anyone. I guess that is "a women thing"!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Holy #%$&! I am being passed by a wheelchair”.
    I don't know but this makes me laugh. A good line if you ask me.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will tell you there is nothing like the feeling of leading the youngsters up a hill. It happened to me kinda, a while back. I was going up Usury pass a mountain in north east Mesa AZ. I was solo and minding my own business cranking out the miles and almost at the top, when a gal goes by me. I met her at the top were was joined by her group. They couldn't believe there eyes when they saw this "old man" that had let them up the hill. She said she just had to sprint past me to the top but she said she was going anaerobic and had to stop.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust