Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-29-10, 05:36 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Saddle Replacement Help

My Lemond BA - 1999 - came with a saddle labeled LeMond made by Selle - San Marco with an "M" on it. It is black with red trim. After 12 years it is wearing out.

This saddle worked and fit fine from the get-go. I've never had a problem with it. I dropped by the LBS today to see if I could get an exact replacement. The guy looked in a big catalog and nothing matched.

Since I have decided to "spruce up" my sort-of classic LeMond BA - with the yellow and red theme, I wanted a saddle that had the same elements. Also, I am scared to death to change saddles, although I have sort of an iron butt, and have never had a problem with any saddle on any bike.

I searched ebay and came up with 202 Selle San Marco saddles, but nothing looked idenitcal.

The guy at the LBS offered me the assometer, and had a couple of saddles with black and red trim, but I sure would like to keep the same.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there got an extra Lemond saddle?

This is not my BA, but it looks just likes this - except I don't believe that is the original saddle.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-29-10 at 05:59 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 05:44 PM   #2
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Oh good! I get to be the first one to say the "B" word.

4 years ago or so I had some credits at the bike shop I was working at and decided to see what the big deal was about Brooks saddles. Since then I've bought several other Brooks saddles and I've never looked back.

Relative to your exact problem, Brooks has offered the same Team Pro model for decades. If you're afraid to change saddles you need to switch to Brooks because everybody else will have changed models by the time whatever saddle you are using wears out.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 06:00 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Thanks, but
Old 03-29-10, 06:25 PM   #4
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright
Consider a classic San Marco Rolls or a Terry Fly ?
martianone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 06:29 PM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Do you have a picture of the saddle you want to match?

This may help:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ires&Type=bike
Saddle Selle San Marco Strada
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 06:53 PM   #6
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
All I can say is good luck. I have only one saddle that works for me and I can't buy it anymore.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 06:55 PM   #7
jdon

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martianone View Post
Consider a classic San Marco Rolls or a Terry Fly ?
Denver, If you want a Terry Fly, I have a brand new one you can have. It is black though, no colors. PM me if interested.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 07:00 PM   #8
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
Denver, If you want a Terry Fly, I have a brand new one you can have. It is black though, no colors. PM me if interested.
I sent you a PM
Old 03-29-10, 07:20 PM   #9
jdon

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
I sent you a PM
Sent a return but with this new software, I am not sure it went out. It doesn't show in the sent mail list anyways.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:18 PM   #10
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Saddle production seems to last a bit longer than other bike parts. As soon as you find something that works - no longer in production.

From the picture it looks like a hammock style. I would pull the saddle off and hit the area LBS stores to try to find a match in shape and width. Several companies are offering test saddles or guarantees if you don't get to like it.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:25 PM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
Saddle production seems to last a bit longer than other bike parts. As soon as you find something that works - no longer in production.

From the picture it looks like a hammock style. I would pull the saddle off and hit the area LBS stores to try to find a match in shape and width. Several companies are offering test saddles or guarantees if you don't get to like it.
You might have missed that the picture was not of my bike, and the saddle seems to not be original. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 03-30-10, 06:21 AM   #12
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
My Lemond BA - 1999 - came with a saddle labeled LeMond made by Selle - San Marco with an "M" on it. It is black with red trim. After 12 years it is wearing out.

This saddle worked and fit fine from the get-go. I've never had a problem with it. I dropped by the LBS today to see if I could get an exact replacement. The guy looked in a big catalog and nothing matched.

Since I have decided to "spruce up" my sort-of classic LeMond BA - with the yellow and red theme, I wanted a saddle that had the same elements. Also, I am scared to death to change saddles, although I have sort of an iron butt, and have never had a problem with any saddle on any bike.

I searched ebay and came up with 202 Selle San Marco saddles, but nothing looked idenitcal.

The guy at the LBS offered me the assometer, and had a couple of saddles with black and red trim, but I sure would like to keep the same.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there got an extra Lemond saddle?

This is not my BA, but it looks just likes this - except I don't believe that is the original saddle.

Do the Assometer. I found it gives a good indication of what width saddle you should get, at least for a Specialized saddle.

That will at least narrow down a huge field of products.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 11:44 AM   #13
adimp

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Sarthe
Lemond saddle

I have this saddle which I plan on keeping with my orange '05 Sarthe. World championship colors stripe along with Lemond logo are stitched into the leather. Perfect condition aside from one small scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0062..jpg (75.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Lemond saddle..jpg (8.2 KB, 10 views)
adimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 03:13 PM   #14
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Take a look at Selle Italia Prolink Light-144 width with cutout-plus 4 colors!
Old 04-20-10, 03:26 PM   #15
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Take a look at Selle Italia Prolink Light-144 width with cutout-plus 4 colors!