Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,920
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Saddle Replacement Help

    My Lemond BA - 1999 - came with a saddle labeled LeMond made by Selle - San Marco with an "M" on it. It is black with red trim. After 12 years it is wearing out.

    This saddle worked and fit fine from the get-go. I've never had a problem with it. I dropped by the LBS today to see if I could get an exact replacement. The guy looked in a big catalog and nothing matched.

    Since I have decided to "spruce up" my sort-of classic LeMond BA - with the yellow and red theme, I wanted a saddle that had the same elements. Also, I am scared to death to change saddles, although I have sort of an iron butt, and have never had a problem with any saddle on any bike.

    I searched ebay and came up with 202 Selle San Marco saddles, but nothing looked idenitcal.

    The guy at the LBS offered me the assometer, and had a couple of saddles with black and red trim, but I sure would like to keep the same.

    Any suggestions? Anyone out there got an extra Lemond saddle?

    This is not my BA, but it looks just likes this - except I don't believe that is the original saddle.

    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-29-10 at 05:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,924
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh good! I get to be the first one to say the "B" word.

    4 years ago or so I had some credits at the bike shop I was working at and decided to see what the big deal was about Brooks saddles. Since then I've bought several other Brooks saddles and I've never looked back.

    Relative to your exact problem, Brooks has offered the same Team Pro model for decades. If you're afraid to change saddles you need to switch to Brooks because everybody else will have changed models by the time whatever saddle you are using wears out.

  3. #3
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,920
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern VT
    My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Posts
    1,718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider a classic San Marco Rolls or a Terry Fly ?
    ride long & prosper

  5. #5
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux Elite EVO, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
    Posts
    12,938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a picture of the saddle you want to match?

    This may help:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ires&Type=bike
    Saddle Selle San Marco Strada
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  6. #6
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is good luck. I have only one saddle that works for me and I can't buy it anymore.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martianone View Post
    Consider a classic San Marco Rolls or a Terry Fly ?
    Denver, If you want a Terry Fly, I have a brand new one you can have. It is black though, no colors. PM me if interested.

  8. #8
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,920
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Denver, If you want a Terry Fly, I have a brand new one you can have. It is black though, no colors. PM me if interested.
    I sent you a PM

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I sent you a PM
    Sent a return but with this new software, I am not sure it went out. It doesn't show in the sent mail list anyways.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddle production seems to last a bit longer than other bike parts. As soon as you find something that works - no longer in production.

    From the picture it looks like a hammock style. I would pull the saddle off and hit the area LBS stores to try to find a match in shape and width. Several companies are offering test saddles or guarantees if you don't get to like it.

  11. #11
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,920
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Saddle production seems to last a bit longer than other bike parts. As soon as you find something that works - no longer in production.

    From the picture it looks like a hammock style. I would pull the saddle off and hit the area LBS stores to try to find a match in shape and width. Several companies are offering test saddles or guarantees if you don't get to like it.
    You might have missed that the picture was not of my bike, and the saddle seems to not be original. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the thoughts.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,585
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    My Lemond BA - 1999 - came with a saddle labeled LeMond made by Selle - San Marco with an "M" on it. It is black with red trim. After 12 years it is wearing out.

    This saddle worked and fit fine from the get-go. I've never had a problem with it. I dropped by the LBS today to see if I could get an exact replacement. The guy looked in a big catalog and nothing matched.

    Since I have decided to "spruce up" my sort-of classic LeMond BA - with the yellow and red theme, I wanted a saddle that had the same elements. Also, I am scared to death to change saddles, although I have sort of an iron butt, and have never had a problem with any saddle on any bike.

    I searched ebay and came up with 202 Selle San Marco saddles, but nothing looked idenitcal.

    The guy at the LBS offered me the assometer, and had a couple of saddles with black and red trim, but I sure would like to keep the same.

    Any suggestions? Anyone out there got an extra Lemond saddle?

    This is not my BA, but it looks just likes this - except I don't believe that is the original saddle.

    Do the Assometer. I found it gives a good indication of what width saddle you should get, at least for a Specialized saddle.

    That will at least narrow down a huge field of products.

  13. #13
    Senior Member adimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    My Bikes
    2005 LeMond Sarthe
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lemond saddle

    I have this saddle which I plan on keeping with my orange '05 Sarthe. World championship colors stripe along with Lemond logo are stitched into the leather. Perfect condition aside from one small scratch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,313
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Selle Italia Prolink Light-144 width with cutout-plus 4 colors!
    Ride your Ride!!

  15. #15
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,313
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Selle Italia Prolink Light-144 width with cutout-plus 4 colors!
    Ride your Ride!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •