Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Magazine for $5

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 09:42 AM

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1991 Diamond Centurion, ???? Scott Cheyenne, 2005 Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK - I know from reading the forums for awhile that Bicycling magazine is not exactly "revered" in a lot of spaces but....
Amazon knows that I'm pretty "thrifty" and they send me a note every now and then when something gets "cheap" for awhile - got a note this morning that says Bicycling magazine is available (yr subscription/ 11 issues) for $5. Heck - that's only $0.45 an issue. Thought the pictures might be worth that much.... even if the riders on the cover are NEVER sitting down.... one of the great mysteries of life.
Take it for what it's worth.

Ciao!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref...SIN=B00005NINB
Old 03-19-10, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Sounds like a good deal!

I was a subsriber 25 years ago. I have not looked at an issue for several years.
Old 03-19-10, 10:04 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every month the cover has a "loose 5 lbs now!" tag. Even if you only excersized that option on even months you would still loose 30 lbs over a year. Five bucks to lose 30 lbs is a good value, that's like 4 cans of SlimFast!
Old 03-19-10, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Whenever one of my grand kids has a magazine subscription school fund raiser I subscribe to Bicycling for another year. I have 14 grand children and now one great grandson so I imagine I'm on the hook for a lifetime subscription.
Old 03-19-10, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I complain constantly about Bicycling, but still read it.

However, if you want a *good* cycling magazine, get Bicycle Quarterly, Bicycle Times, or even Momentum.
Old 03-19-10, 12:36 PM

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1991 Diamond Centurion, ???? Scott Cheyenne, 2005 Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

I agree on Bicycle Times!
Good one.....
(But it's currently $12 for 4 issues)

Wish it would go more than quarterly....
Old 03-19-10, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bicycling runs more car ads than Motor trend!
Have not subscribed to it for 30 years.
Old 03-19-10, 01:51 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You can get Bicycling Magazine for FREE!

and a subscription to American Bicyclist as well if you join the League of American Bicyclists for $35.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-19-10, 02:10 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Bicycling runs more car ads than Motor trend!
Have not subscribed to it for 30 years.
I think I flip through issue every couple of years, bought the magazine, only once.
Old 03-19-10, 02:11 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas

and a subscription to American Bicyclist as well if you join the League of American Bicyclists for $35.
So that's why it keeps showing up in my mailbox.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-19-10, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take 5 $1 bills. Place in a pile in a safe place. Light with a match.
Old 03-19-10, 05:10 PM
Retro-guy

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although Bicycling Magazine's web site always shows an $11 for 11 issues (one year) offer, it seems like much better offers are readily available.

I got a 1 year subscription at one point as a freebie for buying a pair of bike shoes. And then I think I got two years for $4 (total) via ebay.
Old 03-19-10, 05:59 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been subscribing to Bicycling for years but I'm not renewing when my current subscription runs out. I can't name any faults of the mag, I just have a completely different philosophy about cycling than what is portrayed in the publication.

Now if I can find a good Recreational / Utility / Recumbent mag to read on a regular basis....that I would subscribe to.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-19-10 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 06:14 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas

This is how I get it. Although I could also read it for free at the library.

It's because of this that a very nearly checked the "Don't sent the magazine" box when I last renewed my LAB membership. But there have been some nice, longer articles lately since the change of editorial staff. So now there's something for me to read in between the "buy this thing" pieces and "stronger in 10 weeks" articles.
Old 03-19-10, 08:57 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I see Bicycling magazine a little different than many here. I see it as the default enthusiast publication for this recreational activity/sport. As such, it is the place that anyone new to the scene will go to learn about bicycling. Many of these people are interested in losing weight, getting more fit and improving their body shape. Many are also looking for basic tips about how to choose a bike, how to climb, what to eat, what to wear, where to ride, what accessories to buy etc. This is why they keep repeating the same features. Different people are reading it each time they run it. The magazine does a decent job of providing what its target audience wants. Problem for us is that we are not exactly the target audience.
Old 03-19-10, 09:39 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am a relatively recent subscriber and I enjoy the publication, but can see it getting old as the formula repeats and I get more experience and knowledgable at cycling. I think the subscription is worth it for a while. But watch out for the automatic renewal thing that might be in the fine print! Sports Illustrated caught me with that one recently. You have to make a phone call to stop the subscription... bummer.
Old 03-19-10, 09:55 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, did that automatic renewal ever hit a nerve! I canceled two magazines I had subscribed to for years when they pulled that trick. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, either.
Old 03-20-10, 09:14 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Like tsi mentioned, I read it for free at the local library.
Old 03-20-10, 09:26 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
There have been some interesting, non-racing - perfect fitness - buy this $5,000 bike - poseur types of articles in the last year or so. I skip through all of that stuff to find a couple of articles each month that I enjoy.

Amazingly, my wife loves the magazine.
Old 03-20-10, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KZBrian
Sounds like a good deal!

I was a subsriber 25 years ago. I have not looked at an issue for several years.
I get it for being a member of the LAB. I peruse it, rarely reading an entire issue. You haven't missed a heck of a lot. Bicycling is definitely marketed toward the (dare I say this...) "Upscale" cyclist, who simply must have the latest stuff, whether it's the latest frame material, or the latest glasses, helmet, pricey shoes, etc.

As I'm sure everyone knows, the cover shots always feature a cyclist (many claim they are actually professional models. Possible, but I don't know if there is proof of this or not.) in impossibly great physical condition, riding the most expensive bike imaginable, and always in some exotic location. A cover shot of an average-shape man or woman, over 50, commuting on a dark, bleak morning through an industrial area on an average commuter bike? Not likely.

Yes, they do seem to run an awful lot of car ads. I know, I know... Editors and writers need to eat too, and those ads pay the bills.
Old 03-20-10, 03:07 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I think I'm getting too old for most magazines in general, which seem geared towards much younger people with shorter attention spans. A lot of the writing is more brief and with an "in your face" style and crude/slangy language (not Bicycling in particular, but most enthusiast mags in general). Back when I had some different interests, I subscribed to all sorts of car and motorcycle magazines, but with the exception of just a few, I can't even manage to page through them at a newsstand.

Fortunately our library has subscriptions to most major magazines, so I do get to do a quick readthrough of Bicycling, Car & Driver, etc. when I get a chance.
Old 03-20-10, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The occasional recumbent article was the only reason I put up with the rag, and then they fired the 'bent-friendly editors two months into my 2-year renewal. After promising their readership they wouldn't change, they did. (In more ways than just that.) Needless to say, my feelings of betrayal went way beyond the trivial amount of money involved. So now it's up to them to prove they deserve to be in my presence. I'll consider getting it again after they've established a new track record of being friendlier to recumbents, tandems, and other non-fred bikes for, oh, about 2 years.
Old 03-21-10, 12:17 AM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My least favorite cycling mag... The only time I'll pick one up is if there's one at the doctor's office. I won't even look through one at the hews stand.

$5 is still too much.
Old 03-21-10, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax

$5 is still too much.
I agree, but found a penny on the sidewalk to bring the total down to a more reasonable $4.99.
Old 03-21-10, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone see the latest "Buyer's Guide" issue? It arrived just a few days ago. On page 16 is the editor's column. In this one, editor Loren Mooney carries on about how she was once embarrassed by friends on a ride, because her bike was too "retro". (It had downtube shifters. Oh, the horror..!!!) It worked just fine, but it just wasn't the latest and greatest. Naturally, this finely functioning bike, with years of service left in it, simply had to go.

This kind of says exactly what's on my mind, when it comes to Bicycling Magazine. You don't have the latest, greatest, "It came from outer space" stuff, so you can't be one of us!"

I have two things to say to this, and they are not happy birthday.

Whatever became of "The Ride" magazine? I know it was a small circulation, but did they vanish altogether?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.