Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Ride in Bibs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Ride in Bibs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 06:57 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
First Ride in Bibs

I haven't been riding that long but have always used regular cycling shorts. Like saddles, it seems a certain makes of shorts works for me for a while and then I have to change. It sure would be nice if manufacturers would just stick to the same style-particularly around padding.

I've been using a particular model of shorts lately with good luck. I found a pair of bibs in the same model on sale so thought I'd give them a try. More curiosity than anything.

They felt pretty tight when I first put them on-I wasn't used to the pulling on the shoulders. That seemed to go away after a while. I only rode about 30 miles or 90+ mins but they did fine. I'm going to put them on a better test today as I'll do a 100+ miler.

Not sure I want the additional clothing in warmer weather rides but we'll see.
Old 04-02-10, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm betting that if you got the right size you'll become a bib lifer. The 100 mileer should tell you if they work for you.
Old 04-02-10, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear bibs when it is cool but here in Florida they are just too hot for me in the summer. They are more comfortable than regular bike shorts, but not enough to suffer the extra warmth in hot weather.
Old 04-02-10, 09:52 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All my bibs (except for worn out ones destined for the trash) are snug on the shoulders when standing upright. In the cycling position they get a bit more slack and should be a lot more comfortable. If your chest and junk are headed for a meeting in the middle somewhere while you're riding, then yeah, you might want to heed NOS88's advice on finding the right size (or more likely the right mfr).

Oh, and for the folks who don't like the added material in the front, there are some bibs, Castelli's Free being one of them, where the straps on the front run down close to the sides and the bottom is cut lower, like maybe below the navel or thereabouts. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-02-10, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bibs are all I have been using the last few years. Much more comfortable than regular short

I wear mine all year even in the hottest summer weather (90-100+ and humid) we get here for about 6 weeks each year.

I think the key is to get bibshorts with a mesh/lycra upper. Some bibs just use the same lycra on the upper that is used in the shorts portion and this can be too steamy.
Old 04-02-10, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just started wearing bibs the past month (Performance Ultra's). I like them well enough to consider getting a pair of Pearl Izumi Ultra Slice bibs this summer as well.
Old 04-02-10, 03:09 PM
'47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is quite a variation in cut and design. Personally, I think less "upper" is better. Being short waisted, I've tried 3 brands before settling on Giordana's. Like so much else, good bibs are good once you've dialed in the fit.
Old 04-02-10, 04:07 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Bibs are all I've owned since 2003. True they are slightly warmer in the summer, but after a few miles I'm sweating so it doesn't matter. I'd be sweating just as much if I was naked.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-02-10, 04:28 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Okay-gave them the ultimate test today. Temps soared to the upper 80's for record highs here in Piedmont NC -last weekend I rode in 50 degree temps. Today I rode 120 miles with 7+ hour of saddle time.

I also bought exactly the same model in regular shorts so I've tested both while new.

The things I like about my pair of bibs:
They make me look slimmer as they hold in my love handles a little bit.
They were very comfortable-everything stayed put.
The shorts didn't slide around between my butt and the saddle.
The flourescent green trim is the perfect match for my jersey.
I did not notice the straps pulling on my shoulders once I got in the saddle.

The things that are drawbacks:
I don't like anything under my jersey in warmer weather-I kept thinking about taking off my jersey and removing the straps off my shoulders and dropping them to my waist.
They cost a little more than regular shorts.
There really wasn't any additional comfort compared to a new pair of regular shorts as they fit really well too. I suspect bibs do better that regular shorts after a lot of ruse of a pair. Bibs will probably stay in place as regular shorts seem to lose a little of that compression.

I'm fine with bibs-but will opt to use regular shorts on warmer days with lots of mileage.
Old 04-02-10, 09:35 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Inspired by BF threads about the subject, I bought some NOS Hincappie Super Roubaix bibs a few weeks ago and tested them on some of my spin bike sessions in February. Today I finally rode in them outside for the first time and was very impressed with the fit and comfort. So impressed that I just bought another set tonight ($40.00 plus shipping). They seem to keep the equipment in place much better than shorts. One of my better bike equipment purchases, no question.
Old 04-03-10, 03:26 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only got one pair, and I like them OK. They don't feel particularly better than bike shorts to me though. My biggest issue is on long rides, if I'm well-hydrated, I need to take frequent "natural breaks." That's fine if I'm on an organized ride with porta-potties or something, but it's not very convenient if I'm behind a bush trying to look nonchalant...
Old 04-03-10, 05:47 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Inspired by BF threads about the subject, I bought some NOS Hincappie Super Roubaix bibs a few weeks ago and tested them on some of my spin bike sessions in February. Today I finally rode in them outside for the first time and was very impressed with the fit and comfort. So impressed that I just bought another set tonight ($40.00 plus shipping). They seem to keep the equipment in place much better than shorts. One of my better bike equipment purchases, no question.
You found Hincapie bibs for $40? Link?

As for nature calls, pull down the front just like with short. No problemo.
Old 04-03-10, 09:00 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
You found Hincapie bibs for $40? Link?
Source is eBay store called thegearmovement

Link: https://myworld.ebay.com/thegearmovement/

Better Link?: https://stores.ebay.com/The-GEAR-Movement

Prices do seem to vary up to $50 depending on size. The bibs are tagged "Made in Italy" and seem to be well made.

Last edited by billydonn; 04-03-10 at 09:07 AM.