Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500FX Disk(2005) Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA (2006) Raliegh 420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0. Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
    1990 Raliegh USA 420
    2005 Trek 7500 (Hybrid)
    Just ordered a new 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA Im told it wont be shipped to my dealer till end of OCT.
    Im going nuts waiting.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
    Multiple less Irion from GNC
    Saw Palmetto protate formula
    S.A.M. e (I swear by this over the counter supliment taken in Europe for years, the only supliment
    (I can say actually made a notible difference in the way I feel)

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
    Quit a bit... joints mostly. Mostly.
    Just had a stress test on a tread mill which the doc said I did well on. Almost killed me!

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
    since childhood, but seriously in the 90's and again this year. switched to cycling because my knees
    couldnt take the impact of jogging, or even fast walking anymore.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
    15 to 20 mile rides mostly on bike paths here in my county. The paths join up all these duck ponds. Its actually quite nice.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
    About twice a week, but I long to do more. I have logged almost 700 miles this year (keep track on a nice little wireless cylometer from Cateye.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
    I do a little (very little) wieght training and some stretching and will be adding more soon.

Summary, cycling for me seems like the perfect exercise for me because the joints (knees) can
    handle cycling but not much else.

Spencerport, NY; on the Erie canal, a great towpath for biking!
    My Bikes
    Specialized '05"Globe"; Royce Union "Express"; Dahon "Cadenza"; Bianchi "Castro Valley commuter"; Cruzbike "Sofrider" FWD recumbent;
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 51,semi-retired(drive a school bus)

my work bike: Specialized 05 Globe (I commute 8.5 miles each way some days)

my junker bike: Ross-Union hybrid (my emergency back-up)

my newest bike(expected 2005.10.11):Rietti 26" Army Recon 21 Speed Foldable Bike
    I expect to keep the foldable bike on my bus for cycling during trip layovers.

There is no question that I have slowed down since my youth. If there is any condition attributed to aging it would be Arthritis! I can hardly walk 100' without great discomfort mostly in my knees. I have some sciatic and low back pain when standing. These discomforts and maladies are probably caused more by excess weight than by age, I believe. Bicycling has been a great equalizer! The past 3 years I have been able to devote more time pedaling my way around. Cycling has been very restorative to my health! Standing to pedal up hill is the only time I feel any discomfort from cycling.

I have cycled casually all my life. Most of my years I never biked more than just a few hundred miles yearly. As a teenager (way back when), I had a strong desire to commute across town daily, my bike was the quickest way. Today as a semi-retired old fart, I honestly feel as capable as way back when.

Most of my biking is to commute to work (the school bus). When I was younger I had occasion to need to cycle instead of driving or walking and have always considered a bike as essential transportation.

I cycle for the freedom and mobility it affords me as well as for the benefit it provides my health. I seldom go more than 40 miles on a tour or trip. Most of my cycling routine is all out, for a 30 minute(8.5mile to work) trip.

My longest trip this year was a 50 miler on the Erie canal tow path. The hardest trip this year was the 30 mile "Wanderer" leg for the Finger lakes area "Highlander Cycle Tour"; long, steep hills!!

A typical weeks worth adds up to between 50 and 100 miles of travel by bike. Mostly I am using my Specialized Globe which weighs 41 pounds the way it is set up. Did I mention it has a Shimano dyno-hub in front? It adds to the overall rolling resistance. I am definately in the market for a light touring bike next year.

Last week(Oct. 1st) I rolled over 1600 miles for the year thus far. I would like to make it 2000 miles by December 31st. Weather gets crappier as the season changes and we get 90 -140 inches of snow up here in an average winter.

Cycling is my major form of exercise although I do a lot of yard work and keep several gardens (half-assed) in my yard. I love horticulture and have a small greenhouse. I play a decent game of chess. Married to an angel for these past 28 years.
    Last edited by bikerjohn; 11-26-05 at 11:47 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 50 years and 2 days old.
    1) My main bike is a '92 Bridgestone RB-1 which I've changed everything but the frame and brake calipers. Campy Racing Triple crank & derailleurs, Brooks B17, custom wheels with Phil hubs (freewheel type), Suntour friction barcon shifters
    My MTB is a '95 Cannondale with a susp. fork and Thudbuster added.
    KHS Milano Tandem
    Frankenbike based on '90 Giant rigid MTB with drop bars, barcons, Brooks Flyer saddle, Sugino XD triple crank. I just finished building this bike and rode it today for the first time. It is intended for touring and long rides on dirt roads, poorly paved roads and offroad trails/paths. It works even better on and offroad than I had hoped.
    2) No supplements, but I eat much healthier now than when I was younger.
    3) I ride a little slower than I used to, but I that doesn't matter to me anymore. I still look for hills to ride even if I take longer to get up them,
    4) I rode constantly as a kid, seldom during high school, a bit in college then none. Started riding seriously about 15 years ago after a divorce and it has been a big part of my life ever since.
    5) Mix of short and long rides, more on road but a good bit of off road. Love 40 to 60 mile rides. Rarely commute. Annual cross-state ride (BRAG Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) no luggage (so far).
    6) I ride about 2 hours on or off road twice during the week. Weekends I usually do longer road rides, 40 to 60 miles and one or two centuries a year. Varies by season. About 2500 miles a year.
    7) Yard work. I have 12 acres.

Dawg
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cyfac Cadence, Kestrel 200, Trek Pilot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 60 yrs old in Sep. 05 and started riding Sep. 04 (started exercise program Jan. 03 and have lost 100lbs.)
    1)My bike is a Kestrel carbon fiber
    2)Centrum multi vitamin
    3)One year rider - my performance has been increasing to this point.
    4)One year.
    5)Regular 25 - 35 mile rides. Completed first 100 mile - 05 Seagull.
    6) Average 2.5 times a week and my mileage for first year was 2000 miles.
    7) Work out avg. of 2.5 times in gym per week to total of 4-5 workouts including biking per week.

One thing I have observed that I believe has made my results different than others is that my aerobic exercise sessions are a minimum of 1hr. and my weight loss results have been dramatic.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PSPSARGE
    I was 60 yrs old in Sep. 05 and started riding Sep. 04 (started exercise program Jan. 03 and have lost 100lbs.)
    1)My bike is a Kestrel carbon fiber
    2)Centrum multi vitamin
    3)One year rider - my performance has been increasing to this point.
    4)One year.
    5)Regular 25 - 35 mile rides. Completed first 100 mile - 05 Seagull.
    6) Average 2.5 times a week and my mileage for first year was 2000 miles.
    7) Work out avg. of 2.5 times in gym per week to total of 4-5 workouts including biking per week.

One thing I have observed that I believe has made my results different than others is that my aerobic exercise sessions are a minimum of 1hr. and my weight loss results have been dramatic.
    FANTASTIC stats, PSPSARGE! You must feel like a million dollars now. Welcome to the forum!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PSPSARGE
    You told us this much, how about your present weight and how tall are you? We have a little in common.

My Bikes
    Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    for my neighbor slightly to the east of me, ned from glendora, here is a link to some local bike trails i would like to share with you:

http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports...sgwf/index.htm

the west fork of the san gabriel river, in azusa canyon, is a favorite of mine. today i rode from sierra madre to, and around, santa fe dam. nice ride, also.

i hope you'll enjoy the site, if you're not already familiar with it?

*sdr*
    Howdy SDR,

I have ridden the West Fork many times. Sometimes
    I have ridden UP THERE from Glendora, and other times
    I have ridden it from the trail head. One of my most
    memorable trips up there was in late fall when it was
    getting very cold up there at night and me in my shorts
    and t-shirt with a friend following me down the funky road
    after dark with a one watt bulb on my headlight, streaking
    down the hill not sure I was gonna make it (because of a crash)
    and freezing my hands off as they were about to freeze.

I get down to Santa Fe Dam once in a while and have ridden
    the San Gabriel river trail too, but I tend to stay away from that
    now for the prospect of dead water mosquitos breeding grounds
    AND gang bangers laying for me at the side of the road.

I ride to Pasadena alot along Foothill/66 and Royal Oak Rd. through
    Duarte and Monrovia to Foothill in Arcadia and out that way to Lake
    in Pasadena. I visit friends in Duarte about everyday via bike. I am
    currently getting at least 20 miles per day during the week and 25-30
    on Saturdays.

If you see a guy with a baseball cap and sunglasses riding a White SWB Bent
    or a CLWB red bent, that's me!

Ned
    Easy Racer EZ1-SC http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm
    Lightning Thunderbolt http://www.lightningbikes.com/thunderbolt.htm

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi ned!

i thought you might be familiar with it -- living in glendora and all.

the last time i rode the west fork was about two months ago. drove up and started at noon -- it was around 100 degrees. i ran into three other bicyclists -- two of them had flats and the third was a young lady on a MTB from baldwin park. on the way down from cogswell dam she enticed me into the river and that's where we spent a good part of the afternoon.

you're a better man than i am if you ride UP from glendora!

i ride from sierra madre across foothill and down mountain, in monrovia, to royal oaks, in duarte, across the bridge at encanto and down to the santa fe dam. one lap around and back, retracing my route, gives me 27.5 miles round trip. i haven't ventured south of the dam yet. i understand that gangs south of whittier narrows can pose a problem, especially if you're riding alone.

a nice ride from my house is over to the rose bowl. depending on the route i choose it can run between 6.5 and 7 miles over, then i usually do a few laps around the loop (rose bowl & brookside golf courses) which is 3 miles, then head back home.

we sure are blessed to have riding weather year 'round.

i'll keep an eye opened for ya.

i'll be the long-lean riding machine with a pony tail on the silver n' red fisher nirvana s.

ride on!

*sdr*
    “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be 51 in Jan.Riding mtb for 21 yrs.About 1K mi./yr.Trail and road.Twisted a knee in
    '88 and broke my clavicle last Feb.(only missed 2 months from that). No vitamins,just
    lots of fresh air and (some) sunshine.Bicycle camping trips are my favorite rides.Camped in the mountains here in WA.Used to have a Yamaha 500 Enduro,but when I saw my first mtb I knew I had to have one.In High School I had a mtb of sorts that I built before there were such things.Single track is my passion.

Riding a bitsa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker1944
    I've busted my knee several times. I started using this product called flex-force. It helped to lubricate my knee joint. Try it, see if it works for you guys. Go to www.flexforceworks.com. Hope this help!

Bill
    What a joke! Read the 'guarantee'

10 Day Samples with 100% Satisfaction or return unopened bottle for full refund

How can I tell how well it works through an unopened bottle?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slide
    What a joke! Read the 'guarantee'

10 Day Samples with 100% Satisfaction or return unopened bottle for full refund

How can I tell how well it works through an unopened bottle?
    Haven't you ever heard of osmosis?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went to their site, the literature makes me believe that you get sent a full bottle plus a ten day free sample. If you aren't satisfied by the free sample, then you return the unopened bottle for a refund. But, it isn't clear and is confusing.

They state on their order page: Flex-Force with Hyaluronic Acid. One bottle containing 60 Capsules with 10 day supply for free for only $29.99 plus shipping and handling. If not satisfied with the free samples return the unopened bottle for a full refund not including shipping. Usually shipped next business day.

Florida to Oregon in 2007 lighthorse@eart's Avatar
    My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just turned 60 this month. Began riding a couple of years ago when my knees would not allow running. Bumbled around with a Trek 7500 for awhile then bought the Lemond and put 7000 miles on it the first year (including a solo, unsupported, crosscountry). Am planning on a couple more long distances in the next year or so. Right now I just train 2-3 days a week and play tennis on the other days.
    No meds or vitamins, etc. As with all physical exercise, at this age it takes more effort to attain and maintain a given fittness level. When I was training hard for the crosscountry I always rode 5 days in a row and then took two days off. We need recovery time.
    lighthorse
    03 Lemond Buenos Aires
    97 Trek 7500 (needs work)
    05 Scattante CFR
    06 Burley Hudson
    Melbourne, Fl.

uav
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age. 50

comotion road tandem, road singles

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

multivitamins - always have

nada

20 yrs

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

touring, long

twice a week, 5000

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
    hiking, crosscountry skiing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    61 YEARS OLD, no vitamins, I don't feel that I've slowed down, new (Dr. recommended some excercise as I'mlocked to a desk 50 hours a week,) neighborhood rider for now,no other activities right now

My Bikes
    2005 On-One Inbred single speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age.
    51 and about ten weeks

This 50+'er rides an On One Inbred singlespeed

No

I don't know, I just started!

My bike was delivered 12Oct2005, a friend came over on the 20th to help me set it up. She brought her
    singlespeed so we took a ride down a trail that parallels the Pima indian reservation fence here in Scottsdale.

So far, my longest ride is forty minutes, round trip, on a dirt trail. I'm putting off riding much longer until
    I can take my bike in for a fitting, I may need a longer stem (my friend warned me to go easy on the front brake )

I ride when it's not too hot after work or on weekend mornings. It's still getting into the eighties here. Fall should
    come before too long -- I hope (I don't like hot weather). I'll see how many rides I can get in before summer returns in May.

I've given up heavy weight lifting, now I just do dumbell stuff and simple exercises.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
    I'm only about ten minutes older than I was at the start of this note

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DnvrFox]I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 51

American Eagle/Nishiki (had it for 30 years), Specialized Hard Rock modified with fenders, lights, rack (for commuting), Giant Stiletto (for fun).

Daily vitamins when I can remember

I just don't push hard. Ride to enjoy the motion.

Biked all my life. Car-free till 32. Bicycle commuted to most jobs.

Commuting and city riding now, touring when younger. No time for touring anymore.

Daily, no clue.

They are no fun.

8. Moving from California to Arkansas has reinvigorated my bicycling. It's the hills.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age.
    Just turned 59.

I ride a Specialized Rockhopper on trails, a Nishiki Ariel on gravel paths and a Trek 720 Hybrid on roads (no more road bikes at this age with my neck problems)

Yup, Centrum Silver and fish oil. The Centrum makes a big difference in alertness. The fish oil is for high tri glycerides.

I've slowed down for sure. My 17 year old leaves me in the dust anytime he wants.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I rode my bike daily as a teenage delivery boy. Then I was a Roadie for a while, but did not enjoy it so I was in and out of biking until I got into Mountain biking about a year ago. Now I look forward to each weekend and taking a trail ride.

Mountain biking trails primarily, followed by gravel paths. I'll do some road work just for excercise during the week

Depends on the time of year. In the summer about three to four times a week. Now, about once or twice a week.

Boogie boarding. I have a BZ T-10.

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:[/QUOTE]
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age.
    Will be 51 in a couple of months.

I ride a Specialized fsr, giant nrs, schwinn s-20 on dirt trails; socked grr, bacchetta strada\corsa, catrike speed, 2004 fuji bourdeaux on roads, socked rans v2 to work, & dahon helios sl folding bike on trips to store and out of town trips.

Yup, multiplex vitamin.

Don't know since I didn't do much when I was younger.

4. How long have you been biking? 6yrs

5. What type of biking do you do? Started mtb, slowed down after breaking collarbone 2x and a face plant, and say about 70% roadie now.

5000 mi.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - walking, running

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Mt. Shasta MTB (my son's old ride tricked up for commuting with hybrid tires and racks).
    2. Glucosamine/chondroitin, maca, aspirin, calcium.
    3. Depends on the week; I have plenty of energy but am less 'resilient'.
    4. Periodic casual/rec for several years; commuting more or less full time for
    9 months.
    5. Commuting, shopping. Some rec biking with wife.
    6. Five days a wk. 6-27 miles/day.
    7. Pickup soccer, hiking.
    (57 y/o)

(50) + member
    My Bikes
    Montigue folding, Schwinn 564 road, and a 20 05 Felt F65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

I ride a FELT F65 and a Schwinn 564

Too many to list here. My wife is really into supplelments so we take more than our share.

I am in better shape now than I have been in a long time due to all the riding I have been doing.

I had a bike as a kid but just to do the paper route and run to the grocery store for Mom. I started riding a rode bike about two years ago.

Club rides twice a week and solo rides a couple days a week. Club rides are about 40 miles each and solo rides from 25 to 75 miles each.

I try to get out every other day, usually four days a week. This year I will have rode just under 4500 miles. I lived in Florida this past year so could ride all year. We live aboard our boat so who knows what will happen next year. It all depends where we are as to how much I can ride.

I dive but that can't be considered as regular exercise.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

I turned 65 on November 18, 2005.

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:
    I will not consider a slow sailing ship for I intend to go in harms way.
    John Paul Jones

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes ?

Fuji Club, Fuji Del Rey hybrid, Hercules 3-speed

None

Urbanization has changed the local riding environment from rural roads into busy suburbian routes. However, there are now more greenways and trails than before. My riding has been affected by these changes as well by advancing age. I'm sure age has slowed me down some, but how much is hard to say.

Biked as a kid and then in the military and college. Then had a 20-year slowdown when it was mostly around the neighborhood rides with my daughter. A group of us even bought bikes in Bien Hoa, Vietnam in early 1966 and explored the countryside until curfews restricted us to the air base there.

Mostly commuting, shopping and exploring local greenways and trails. I usually take a bike on extended car trips to explore local areas. Lancaster County, PA, is a favorite riding area. My wife and I have also done a couple of bike and barge trips to the Netherlands and a couple of Vermont Bike Tour rides. All of which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Almost daily, weather permitting. Raleigh, NC doesn't have a significant off season for outdoor activities. I don't use bike computers any longer as mileage isn't as much of a factor as time in the saddle for greenways and trails. My twice weekly commute to downtown Raleigh is 40 minutes one way and hilly.

Walking an hour each morning and still water Kayaking occasionally. My volunteer work in the paleontology section of a state museum often involves heavy labor with shovels, picks, rock hammers, etc.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age.

58 (for 3 more months)

Trek 2100, Cannondale Tandem and an old 1982 Cannondale on nasty days

Yes, glucosamine, saw palmetto, multi vitamin, aspirine, flax seed oil for Omega 3.

10-15% from my mid 30s

Pretty much all of my life, off and on.

20-50 mile rides, depending upon time available, weather, etc. perhaps 3 -4 time/week. Also will do 3 or 4 century rides each season.

3-6 times/week. 4,000 annual miles

In inclimate weather I weight train, use an eliptical and a stationary trainer, and swim.

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OldCrank . . . 50 years old on Jan. 1st 2006

I have a rare Cignal Road Series / All Campy for more spirited rides, and also a Peugeot PGN10 (reynolds 501/Huret) for more around town/relaxed riding. Previous ride was a Raleigh Professional (1974) original owner.

As I continue to age, I try to get at least one serving per day of a good liquid protein source, such as MetRx or Instone Nutrition. I take a timed-release multivitamin (either GNC MegaMan or Prevention for Men), Cod Liver Oil, Brewers Yeast, Royal Jelly, and use raw, unfiltered honey for all swetening. On the personal advice of former bodybuilder Franco Columbu, I supplement one extra gram of Calcium for every hour of weight training, or 500mg per half-hour (calcium not only is for bones, for the electrical signals throughout the central nervous system -- which are severely depleted with weight lifting).

Other than that, I try to eat "clean" as much as possible -- and whole foods. My wife and I enjoying cooking so most meals are from scratch.

I have "days" of feeling this way -- and other days of feeling that I am better than ever. I had a personal best with bench press earlier in this year. I do find myself getting more winded . . . but I attribute this to the on and off body weight gain that I experience throughout the year. Overall, I would say that my endurance has decreased, but my strength has increased.

All my life since childhood. Was a bike commuter back in the day when no one knew what one was.

I have been doing short recreational rides on alternate days of weight lifting -- in season. In the winter, I bike indoors on rollers, or use the stationary bike, if lazy. This year, for my 50th year of age, I want to focus more on riding and complete a century or two -- which I haven't done in close to 25 years. I'd also like to work on hill-climbing -- but that remains to be seen. The Mt. Washington hillclimb keeps pestering me to give it a shot, but I also realize the training and dedication it would take. We'll see.

For years just on alternate days between weight lifting. I have no idea of mileage at all -- although I've been thinking of getting one of those cycle computer things. I go more by "feel" -- some days I can do more than others, etc. But I never was one to count miles. Quaility not quantity as they say. You can certainly have a 20 mile ride that's more productive than a 50 miler. Don't you agree?

Yes, I do weight training. I have my own gym up in the attic with free weights, bench, and one of the universal-type Weider gyms. I also enjoy boxing workouts and have a heavy bag and speed bag.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate; KHS Flite 800; Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age:67. Since Ive only ridden for 4 years, I feel that I am still improving as a cyclist. My biking includes daily 20 to 30 mile rides with weekend rides in the 50 to 60 mile range. Six centuries so far. In 2005 was able to get in a little over 4000 miles. I ride approximately 6 days a week. I do Keiser machines and free weights for upper body fitness. I also enjoy the week long rides like Bike Florida, Cycle North Carolina and Bike Virginia. I have (2) road bikes, a Litespeed Ultimate and a KHS Flite 800. I cycle to stay a little bit in front of the Grim Reaper

Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast