Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 06:53 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
--AGE--born Dec '50, coming up on 57
--Bikes--'98 GT Timberline mtn.bike & Lemond Reno road bike (only a couple years old)
--supplements--multi-vitamin and gluc-chon.
--Have I slowed down--yes, a good deal on the mtn bike (don't ride as much since I moved from the east, so think that is the main reason!-not age)
--As a kid, rode all the time-as an adult it was off and on for a while, then I started mtn biking around '95, just started road in the last couple years
--I do mostly road riding now, the trails are shorter and more technical, except for a few which are not all that close. I prefer trail riding, on long flowing trails, not a great technical rider when it comes to log crossings, though I used to ride at Rocky Ridge in Pa, and became a fairly decent rock rider, would take some time to get back to that level again! Now, it's mostly short road rides, when I can squeeze one in.
--Other physical activities--have a Soloflex which gets occasional use, and we just purchased a treadmill. I really need to use them more often.
--Above answers (expect age-she was born in 53) also hold true for my wife Donna, her mtn bike is a 98 Kona Lavadome (purple-she loves the color)-she's better thru rock gardens than I am.

Last edited by freeranger; 12-12-07 at 06:56 AM. Reason: some words ran together
Old 12-12-07, 08:15 AM

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

My primary ride is a 2006 Jamis Aurora...heavily modified..now have the "fit" JUST RIGHT!!!!!!

I still have my 1978 Schwinn Varsity.....gathering mostly dust now....purchased in Fairbanks, AK...used it to commute 18 mi each way from May to Sept....until I moved in '80 to Ithaca, NY, brought it with me when we moved to Cape Coral, FL in '99....won't/can't get rid of it...

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

recovery is longer....was never fast to begin with, so think speed close to the same....

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

paper routes as a kid.....commuted thru downtown LA during the early '70's gas lines, then just kept at it after the lines eased....use to commute from Western, down Wilshire, cross downtown, then thru East LA to office in Monterey Park...about 20 mi. each way?
Moved to Faribanks, AK in '76...commuted 18 mi each way thru 1980...May to September...
rode occasionally in the '80's and '90s....but very rarely...
Moved to Cape Coral, FL in '99....
started commuting regularly 2 years ago again...3026 mi. last year and just broke 4,000 mi. for this year this week!!!

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
most miles are commuting...12.4 mi. each way, almost every day, year round........at least twice a month, will do a 40-76 mile ride on a Sat or Sun. AM....have done 2 tours.....one about 230 mi. and another 403 mi...have scheduled a tour to Key West in Jan.....about 300 mi. based on the route we will use...

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Commute every day......3026 miles in 2006, and just broke 4,000 miles this week!! I put less than 3,000 mi. on my car this year!

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Occasional kayaking......mostly just work...owning my own business means 60+ hours per work....bike commuting has been a "gift".....

now instead of work stress compounded by driving stress every day, I see dolphins in the river most days, I follow 2 Osprey families each year and 6 different Burrowing Owl nests...as I cross the river, I have seen Manatees...(very rarely)...often see large Manta's, pelicans, etc.....stress free by the time I get to work, and more importantly, stress free by the time I get home each evening.

I am 61....weigh 203 and am 6'.....former Marine LT...Viet Nam '70-'71......2 years ago when I got back to commuting by bike, I was 57 lbs heavier...on 2 blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and type 2 diabetes meds......I am now off all of the above..

On 9/29/08, I am planning on leaving San Diego and ride back to Cape Coral, Fl.....will celebrate my 62nd bday and the 40th anniversary of my arrival to USMC's OCS program....as I arrived on my bday, you can just envision the bday party the SI's gave me....(Sargeant Instructors in OCS, not DI's)

See you on the road!!!!
Old 12-12-07, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:
Closing in quick on 51 (DOB 12/30/1956)

1.'95 Klein Quantum, bought used on Ebay as a 50th bday present to myself. Changed derailleurs, brakes, and cranks to DA (bought used for the most part on Ebay) and put on Velocity Deep V wheels when it became apparent that the Gipiemmes that came on the bike didn't like a guy who's north of 200#. Then there's the "dark and wet" bike, the 80's Summit Comp Pro TR (Japanese steel) that got me back into riding, now outfitted with fenders and lights for my 5:30 AM rides in the winter.

2. Just became a vegetarian, just because it seems to be what my body wants at the moment. Also just getting started taking supplements--right now an Emergen-C or two every day, saw palmetto and pumpkin seeds in the morning, Hammer PSA caps at night, glucosamine/chondroitin. On Friday my new Hammer shipment will be here and I'm going to try their multis, along with extra boron and chromium, thanks to their yearly sale.

3. I'm in the best shape of my life currently, so no, quite the opposite, actually. Undoubtedly had I adopted my current regimen earlier in life gains would have come more quickly, but I didn't, so there you go.]

4. Rode several times a week on my Claud Butler from ages 13-15, less and less from 16-21, then very little until my mid 30's when I commuted to school. 40-48, no riding to speak of. 48 started riding 7 miles 6 days a week, which became 15 at 49 and currently 20.

5. My "daily 20" on weekdays, then on weekends generally a minimum of 26 miles each day.

6. 6 days a week, as previously stated. Last year I rode over 5000 miles.

7. Riding is the only form of exercise I've ever enjoyed as a more or less daily thing. Will occasionally do some crunches or mild dumbell workouts. HATE gyms.
Old 12-12-07, 12:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Lugged steel road touring bike. One bike only.

No

No good point of reference, since I started riding at age 43. I feel the same, since I've gotten older, but gotten in beter cycling shpe. It has evened out.

11 years as an adult.

Mostly long, moderately paced rides. 60 miles typical. 100 miles now and then.

2-3 time a week. 6000 miles a year. Very consistant on both points.

Not much other than cycling. Some walking, but not regularly.
Old 12-12-07, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age. 50 (May, '57)

Surly Crosscheck steelie. 1st all purpose bike for commuting, light trails and some group rides.
Specialized Rockhopper. Hardtail mtb when I couldn't keep up with the 2x yo's on my crosscheck
Fuji Team Pro. Full cf roadie, my main ride now for club rides

Try to take a general multivitamin with mixed success ... of remembering to take it.

Last year I was the fastest I have ever been, even with gaining a lot of weight. Riding hard with club rides made me much faster than riding solo.

4 years regular riding after taking it up again. Rode fairly regular through college then gave it up till I was 47.

Currently all of my riding is moderate to long group club rides. Did 6 centuries this year. Occasional mtb. When I got back into biking it was as a commuter and I hope to be able to commute again when the job permits.

4x a week or more. In 2007 I rode a little over 7,000 mile ... avg ride was 44 miles.

Skiing. Want to get back to some running and weight training.
Old 12-12-07, 04:22 PM
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Special thread for 50+yr Bicyclists

Here is my response to your survey....good luck with whatever analysis you may do.

Please tell us your age.
Road = ’95 Cannondale R900
Tandem = ’90 Cannondale Road
MTB = ’04 Giant ds2
Cross/Touring = ’07 Kona JTS

No just One multivitamin per day

After a life time of being physically active the most noticeable loss is in endurance and reaction time. Recovery time from lengthy ‘hard efforts’ continues to lengthen as I age.

Off and on most of my life but much more over the last two years. I expect cycling will ultimately be my primary sports activity as I continue to age.

10 to 70 mile rec rides
A few multi-day tuors

In ’07 = 3 or 4 times per week …..5000 miles
For ’08 I expect to cycle the same milage or more.
Did much less in prior years due to time constraints and other recreational activities.

Currently, in addition to cycling regularly, I am:
Running 1 or 2 days per week including– 5 & 10K’ racing
Snow Skiing in winter
Hiking in summer

Bill J.
Old 12-12-07, 04:28 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Specialized Hard Rock converted to street bike with slicks, fenders, lights, rack
Bacchetta Giro 20 recumbent
American Eagle/Nishiki 10 speed
Giant Stiletto chopper
Murray Cruiser

I quit drinking Pepsi (2 liters a day +) still fighting a sugar/carbs habit.

Can't tell. So much else has changed as well.

I'm a lifetime bicycle commuter. Often car-free, otherwise car-lite.

Carfree, commuting, utility biking, some recreational riding.

Daily, multiple times. No clue on mileage.

No.

I already did. Don't ask twice.
Old 12-12-07, 11:33 PM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50 year old.

Road: 2003 Time VX Special Pro
MTB: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

3 fish oil softgels + 1 multi-vitamins tablet

I feel better than 10 years ago, more endurance but aches last longer.

Serious for the last 4 years. Some mtb biking 15 years ago. Biked to school as a kid.

A couple centuries a year, some medium rides, and mostly 20 milers.

Around 1,000 miles a year, 2-4 rides a week.

Hiking.
Old 12-13-07, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
This is an update, 3 years after my 1st response:
Please tell us your age.
I am 67 years old

I rotate through my collection of 12 road bikes, most are vintage like the 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile. The newest is a 2004 Torelli.

None for most of my life, but did take vitamins for a period & 2 years ago found I have osteoporosis in my hips & lower spine. I took fossamax for a while & now take a Strontium supplement at night and Citracal daily.

I definitely cannot reach the top speeds of my late teens through middle age, but my endurance hasn't diminished much. I just ride a little slower & the younger, fit riders blow past me through all kinds of terrain.

4. How long have you been biking?
Since childhood, with intermittent periods of daily bicycle commuting.
5. What type of biking do you do?
For most of my life, commuting and errands.

Currently only 2 or 3 times weekly, previously it was daily: During the previous 10 years, I averaged 3,000 to 4,000 miles yearly & continued at that pace during the first year of my retirement. We sold our home & moved in September. I just broke ground for construction of our new residence, so my miles for this year will only be about 1300, I'm only doing errands & short recreational rides until the house is finished.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities?
Stationary trainer, home building, gardening & walking my two dogs.

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 12-14-07 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-13-07, 10:39 AM

Bikes: specialized roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 57
1 2005 specialized roubaix
2 one aspirin a day
3 better rider now than earlier
4 regularly since 2005
5 recreational
6 3 or 4 times a week 1000+
7 treadmill in the winter trying to forestall putting the bike on the trainer
Old 12-13-07, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Stevens Strada 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:

1 - I ride a Stevens Strada 600 - they call it a street cross - fast & tough.
2 - I don't take supplements.
3 - I'm faster than I used to be. This bike is the best one I've ever had - my BMW - and it makes a big difference even if the engine is older.
4 - I'm 57. I remember getting my first two wheeler when I was 7 and I've always had a bike. My dad never had a car, not too surprising with 7 kids, so if I wanted to go somewhere it was the bus or the bike. The bike usually won. Bought my first drop bar 10 speed when I was 16. In 1966 bikes were not cool for teens.
5 - I commute to work March to November - if I have errands to run the bike gets used before the car. Ambling rides on summer Sundays with my wife.
6 - Five days a week 30km per day. 4800 km per year give or take.
7 - No other sports, in fact I hate sports.
Old 12-14-07, 09:24 AM
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, here is my two cents worth:

A: I am still riding my first and only "real" road bike, a 2002 Cannondale R700 USA Edition, although I am in the market for a full carbon Utegra/DA road bike.

A: A senior version of a multivitamins/multiminerals, time-release vitamin C, MSM and Glucosamine.

A: A little, but less than the 50+ generation as a whole.

A: Started riding a road bike at least weekly in Dec. 2002.

A: I only ride for fitness and recreation, on weekday evenings or Saturday mornings, sometimes alone, sometimes with a group. Six to eight charity rides a year.

A: About twice a week, usually in the 25-50 mile range, sometimes 70 miles, a few times longer (i.e.: century). Annual mileage is 2,000-2,500.

A: I try to cross train with a little running, make that jogging.

A: DOB: 12/22/1950, so I will turn 57 in Dec. 2007.

Ride On!
-Spoke
Old 12-14-07, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a Raleigh International from about 1974 until 1994 when I abandoned it for a MTB. I still ride the MTB for commuting and general transportation, but bought a road bike about 15 months ago for fun. I rode with my son and increased mileage over the summer until the all-aluminum frame of the Allez got the better of me. I bought a Roubaix in September and found it much easier to ride for long distances. I saw a closeout on a Lynskey titanium last month and jumped on it. Selling the Roubaix now. Keeping the Allez so my younger son (17) can ride with me.

A multivitamin, vitamin C, glucosamine.

I've slowed down some, but my old road bike was 10 pounds heavier than my new one, so that helps to compensate.
The main slowdown that I've experienced is giving up other sports that I loved, climbing and running, due to too many injuries and knee soreness. I find I can keep up with my old pace pretty well, but it takes me longer to recover and heal from injuries.

I first got serious about recreational road biking in 1974, stayed on the bike pretty regularly until the late 80's. I've used a MTB since about 1994 for commuting and riding with the kids. Bought a new road bike in 2006.

I commute to/from work in the summer about 3-4 days per week. The distance is only about 7 miles and it's mostly on a bike path. I try to get out at least one day during the week at lunchtime for a one hour ride with a friend from work and try to go for a longer ride at least one day on the weekend, weather permitting. Longer for me means 30-50 miles.

This year I probably have ridden about 2000 miles.

I weight lift 2-3 days/week and use a rowing machine when the weather doesn't let me get outside. I gave up running a few years ago because my knees were aching all the time. They don't ache anymore since I stopped running. I used to ski pretty regularly, but just can't justify spending 5 hours driving to/from the hill for about 5 hours of skiing. I'd rather go for a bike ride.

I'm 55 years old.
Old 12-14-07, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 55

Have old Raleigh M60 21 speed rigid mountain bike and old Raleigh 12 speed road bike with Team USA logo (age and origin unknown).

Use multivitamin for men over 50.

I have "slowed down" over the past 30 years with knee and back problems. Gave up running, soccer, tennis and racquetball.

I've been an off and on again cyclist my whole life. Rode for transportation as a teen, to classes in college and then took up road biking for about three years in the early 1980s. Some commuting in Atlanta, London and Ciudad Juarez and DC. This time I've been actively cycling for two and a half years with a ride most weekends.

Since September I've been a daily commuter (just over ten miles a day on a bike path). I also enjoy longer rides on days off and weekends. Ive just moved back to the US and haven't joined any of the regular rides of the local bike clubs.

I'm riding daily for my commute. I also try to get in a longer ride at least two time a month. For 2007 I'll hit about 2200 miles. 2006 when I wasn't commuting and just riding on weekends I put in about 1800 miles.

I walk, hike and enjoy cross country skiing when there is snow. Would swim more if pool locations and times were more convenient.
I also use a semi-recumbent stationary bicycle when I'm unable to get outdoors to ride.

Last edited by Consularrider; 12-17-07 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age. 61 (8/1946)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Steel road, DeRosa 1987, upgraded everything to Campy Athena in 1998. Lynskey should be here before the end of the year. It will help my back.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Fish oil tablets

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Oh Yeah, Hopefully I will bet back to 17 or 18 mph while I use to run at 20 - 21 mph

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Started riding in mid 30s, after destroying my feet running marathons also srode from 5 yrs to 16yrs,. Stopped riding for a few year due to an elbow injury.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? Building up my road miles, will begin short communte in the spring when it warms up some. Want to ride a century next year.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Just on the weekends now, will ride more during spring & summer. I have all my old rides on paper but no totals.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? some free weights

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? I already did. Bob
Old 12-16-07, 01:50 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Woodrup Giro, Mondonico, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610

Glucosamin and chondritin, occasional ibuprophen

As a rider I think my distance capability is more than it was in my 20s, and my speed might be better. My hill climbing is much worse, but I weigh maybe 40 # more. I do not have the base to recover quickly from a longish hardish ride and go do it again tomorrow, but this could just be need for better conditioning rather than age.

Started at 5, rode daily more or less from 12 thru 20. Occasional rider 'til 25, then long layoff thru 40. Occasional from 40 thru 49. Started riding again at 49, now riding with some regularity to this day.

Lond rides and short (12 mile) rec rides.

twice a week off-winter, 1000 mi/year

lately a lot of snow shoveling and a little yoga.

Perhaps, if you haven't already, you might indicate your age on your reply??

54 (again)

I hope this isn't too late!

My input!!
Old 12-27-07, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Time (carbon-06) racing -Raleigh(alu)training-Blue (al/carb)TT- Kona(alu)mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Please tell us your age.

Woodrup Giro, Mondonico, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610

Glucosamin and chondritin, occasional ibuprophen

As a rider I think my distance capability is more than it was in my 20s, and my speed might be better. My hill climbing is much worse, but I weigh maybe 40 # more. I do not have the base to recover quickly from a longish hardish ride and go do it again tomorrow, but this could just be need for better conditioning rather than age.

Started at 5, rode daily more or less from 12 thru 20. Occasional rider 'til 25, then long layoff thru 40. Occasional from 40 thru 49. Started riding again at 49, now riding with some regularity to this day.

Lond rides and short (12 mile) rec rides.

twice a week off-winter, 1000 mi/year

lately a lot of snow shoveling and a little yoga.

Perhaps, if you haven't already, you might indicate your age on your reply??

54 (again)

I hope this isn't too late!

My input!!
Hi,this is my first post
53 years old
Old 12-27-07, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Time (carbon-06) racing -Raleigh(alu)training-Blue (al/carb)TT- Kona(alu)mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by musher
Hi,this is my first post
53 years old
1)Road:Time vxrs Ulteam (racing)-
Blue TT 9RACING)
Raleigh (training)
Mtb:Kona (FOR FUN RIDES)

2)multi-vit,vit C,vit E,vit B50,calcium,CLA,ALA,Beta-alanine,L-citrulline,glutamine,carnitine,L-Arginine,Hmb-BCAA,creatine.

3)I am in the best shape of my life,justtake me longer to recover betwen training rides.

4)Started racing in France in 1970 and stop for 25 years, started racing again in 02.

5)Stage races-TT 10k,20k,40k,50k - centuries.

6)Daily 9,000 to 10,000 miles y. ,Nov.to feb. trainer and rollers only ( to much snow ),
weight lifting , skate ski, snow shoeing and hiking .
Old 01-01-08, 09:21 AM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turned 65

Turned 65 Christmas day
Have the following: 80 Tom Kellogg built Ross Signature (mine origionally and fully restored)
81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist full fendered,shimano dyno,converted to 5 speed running 38t thru oem regina oro gold freewheel with brooks B66 saddle.
91 Paramount PDG3 OS in 9 out of 10 point condition (it's my bread and butter daily ride retro fitted with stronglight compact 34/46 driving a 12-26 cog setup)
93 GT Mountain Bike converted to city bike with stronglight double 34/44 full steel fenders,paselatg 26x1.25 tires.
soon to arrive...CF Motobecane Immortal Force

This year will mark 40 years of cycling. I started after docs said the pin in hip/plate in knee would leave me with a limp...40 years later there's no limp.

I am no where near where I was speed wise or endurance wise when I did Red Zingers and Finger Lake Classics etc. racing. After decades of working in industry with the dust and fumes,I learned I had COPD in 1999. Not having full lung capacity reduces how fast you can go if you want to go far as well..

I mainly ride club rides. Weekday morning ride with the retiree "Breakfast Club" 25-40 mile rdes at 15-18mph. Usually ride from house to ride and back. Light shopping, bank visits, etc. are done on the GT (drove under 6K last year)Sunday rides are 35-70 milers at a slacked off 14/15mph pace.

My club mileage is usually around 2K and overall mileage close to 4K

*As Long as the roads are dry and free of snow and salt I ride.
*This winter is an exception because I'm recovering from double bypass surgery done Nov.2nd (who knew?..lol)

What else do I do? Flatwater kayak (I built a 42lb 17' stitch and glue wood/glass boat)and walk.(700 miles last year)

fwiw..I ride with two guys who'll turn 80 this year and still maintain a 15mph pace!

Last edited by Ranger63; 01-01-08 at 09:35 AM. Reason: missed some questions
Old 01-01-08, 10:48 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Turned 65 Christmas day

fwiw..I ride with two guys who'll turn 80 this year and still maintain a 15mph pace!

I sometimes ride with a former racer who is in his late 70's and there is not way I can keep up with him

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-01-08, 09:48 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I'm 56.
1. 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-speed road bike. I also have a Trek 4900 mountain bike, which I rarely ride.
2. No special supplements yet. I'm on pills for high blood pressure and cholesterol.
3. Haven't slowed down at all. Since started biking seriously last summer, I've actually speeded up some.
4. Like most folks, I biked from age 5 to 16. Got the Raleigh as a birthday present in 1981, but just rode it around the neighborhood. In the early 1990s, we lived in southeastern Minnesota, and rode the rails to trails bike paths in that area, sometimes as far as 40 miles. In July of '07, I broke out the bike again, and have been riding it regularly ever since.
5. Most of my riding is recreational, rides of about 10-25 miles. Occasional longer charity ride.
6. I bike 2-3 times a week. My Bike Journal mileage for 2007 was 572, so I expect it will be upwards of 1200 in 2008.
7. No other physical activities. Biking replaced running, which was ruining my knees. I golf, and walk 18 holes while carrying my bag once or twice a week, but that's not exactly aerobic activity.
Old 01-05-08, 02:59 PM
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello, I'm happy to be a part of this group. Yesterday (1/4) was my 50th!

I ride to work 3-4 times a week on a Jamis Commuter 3.0. Weekends I ride about 25-30 miles on a Raleigh R500.

Like most, I've been riding since a little kid. Now, I enjoy the freedom, economical and health benefits as well...
Old 01-14-08, 08:36 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age.
55 ("Baby Senior") in 8 days.

2007 Giant Cypress W.

Senior Multi; C, B Complex, E, Fish Oil, Flax Oil, Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM; Garlic; Echinacea and Golden Seal; (and three others I can't think of right now--I guess one of 'em should be for memory!)

Slowed down in what respect?

4. How long have you been biking?
Childhood into my teens, then nothing until I decided that the stationary at the gym reminded me of good times and I found a bike I love.

5. What type of biking do you do?
Recreational, fitness.

As much and as often as possible, but since I've only had my bike since just before Christmas, it's kinda hard to estimate annual mileage.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities?
Stationary bike; treadmill; elliptical; Cybex machines.
Old 01-16-08, 03:29 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
51 Y.O.
Cannondale R500 CAD3

Per my physicians recommendations: Vitamins A, B Complex, C and E and fish oil, all related to on-going helath problems

A bit but I have had 3 back surgeries, including two Ti plates, cages and screws for 2 levels and 10 abdominal surgeries all since 2000

Serious beginnig in 1972 until 1985. Stopped to return to law school (a mistake, never took the bar exam, still an engineer) rode in 1989 and 1990 on a Cannondale R300 but a back injury resulted in my right leg being paralyzed until my last back surgery in 2004. Wife and I decided to return while I was recovering from the 13th surgery in October and got our bikes in December.

Training and leisure rides. Want to race eventually

Beginning this week if the surgeon releases me.

Dirt bike in Motocross
Old 01-16-08, 04:09 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
51 Y.O.

A bit but I have had 3 back surgeries, including two Ti plates, cages and screws for 2 levels and 10 abdominal surgeries all since 2000
Welcome! It's great that you can get back on the bike after all these surgeries.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.