User Tag List

Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1564
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome gif4445 Enjoy the forum. Nice increase in mileage.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

eay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just turned 50.
    I ride a recumbent trike, tadpole. HP Velotechnik Scorpion, full suspension, folding. I've had it since September 2011.
    I take a multivitamin and calcium supplement.
    I'm more active now than when I turned 40.
    Biked until I was in my early 20s, stopped for no good reason. Got a Trek hybrid in my early 40s, gave it up as totally awfully uncomfortable, got my shoulder repaired, now stylin' on my bent.
    I ride for fun, sometimes for errands. I've done one tour, an overnight. It was fun and I'm trying to figure out how/where to do it again. Here's my tour video and probably the best and most terrifying introduction to me.
    I ride about three times a week. I have no idea of my annual mileage. My usual rides are 10 - 20 miles long.
    I lead rides for a local casual bike group ('normal' bikes) a couple of times a month. I've ridden one metric century, Foxy's last year. Sometimes I get out to the monthly 30mile ride that the local recumbent group does, but I've been concentrating on riding with my husband on his new trike, getting his mileage up and strength and so on. He's verging on faster than me since I'm excessively cautious on down hills and corners. I keep forgetting "rubber side down".
    I don't post very often since I have little to say.

liz
    E

an HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS (recumbent trike).

my triking blog

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    I don't post very often since I have little to say.
    That doesn't stop most of us!

Welcome to 50+, best group here (though C&V is danged good too, discussing C&V bikes for us C&V riders).
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to 50+, no minimum posting requirement I know of and you are certainly welcome to read as much as you like. Post when you like, read when you like, I would doubt anyone here judges a member by their post count, and we are here most days, 24/7.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a recumbent a few years ago based on my doctor's recommendation. I didn't care for it, and eventually unloaded the thing. I doubt I'd put more than a hundred miles on it. In hindsight, it was a poor example (BikeE), and someday I would like to try a proper one, maybe even a trike.

My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck fixed-gear (2001 bean green model)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 55 and I've ridden a bike most days since I was seven years old.

My only steed is a Surly Crosscheck that I bought new in 2001 and stripped down for fixed gear duties. I've never been a racer and happen to like mechanically simple bikes that are also quiet. I've ridden a couple of centuries (yes, fixed, but not too hilly) and some sponsored rides of about 50 miles, but my primary riding is commuting and grocery-getting. I have a pair of Ortlieb panniers for groceries and buying used vinyl records.

I consume one multivitamin, one vitamin E, and about 600 mg of fish oil every day. I have been lucky as far as my health is concerned, but I was diagnosed with having osteoarthritis in both of my hips last week. My left hip is pretty bad, almost no cartilage and two bone spurs. Fortunately cycling is a good option, though walking has become painful.

I really need to get back into riding with ACA again. Some really nice folks.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.

--Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, just turned 51.
    Been riding since forever!
    Old schwinn cont, and varsity
    Don't take any vitamins(not sure about them)
    215lbs, want to lose abit!
    Casual+ ride to work(10min ride)
    Live in ind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome ausfix and trx1. Enjoy the forum.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone. I am 55 years old and live in Michigan. I don't have anything fancy, just an old Walmart bike single speed with fenders and a Shiamo my son gave to me and I consider that fancy for me. I am overweight (235 lbs, 68") and hope to lose weight and regain some of my health. I used to love to take long walks especially in parks and on trails but I have to limit walking due to my lower back. I found out that riding a bicycle is a good alternative and so I started back riding this past summer and I love it. About five years before that my wife and I would take occaisional recreation rides on our Walmart bikes. I take multi-vitimins and a few other supplements including Omega 3 when I remember to. So it is not on a daily basis. I am planning on riding the single speed bike this winter and putting the Shiamo inside so that the gears don't get all mucked up. It will be my first winter riding. We have a neighbor that rides his bike during the winter and I always thought he was crazy. That was until a few months ago when I did a little research on the net and found out that a lot of people do it. I thought it would be impractical. Anyways, I am really looking forward to it. Thanks for this thread. I have a lot of reading to do and I am not a fast reader so I intend to learn and get to know people but it will likely be slow going. Take care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi boomerjim.

You might also check out the "Clydesdale" forum - nice folks there. Good luck on your winter riding. I am not familiar with a Shiamo?? Would that possibly be "Shimano"?? If so, I did not even know they made a bike, but only bike parts.

Enjoy the forum.

Winter riding is a challenge. I don't ride in the snow or ice, but I do ride in moderately cold weather. You could also get an indoor trainer. They salve the conscience and are nice to look at. Visitors think you are really an addict.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up on "Clydesdale". I think that will be my place. You are right, it is spelled Shimano, LOL. I'm not for sure but I think they make bikes too. I just put the knobby tires from the shimano MTB on my single speed comfort bike. So just waiting for it to snow now. Take care.

My Bikes
    Recherché, Surly Ogre
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I am 53 and new to this forum. I did some biking as a kid and back in the early 90's but none since then. I started running last December to get in shape and lose weight. I am 6ft and was 240 last November and now down to 205. I would like to lose another 10-15 lbs. Right now I run 3 days a week and go to the gym 3 days a week, to do some strength training. I now want to start biking again. I am in the process of rebuilding my Recherché road bike from the mid 80's. It is a Dave Moulton frame. After I get it done, and ride it for awhile, I am going to get a new modern bike. I am having fun right now building a new set of wheels for it and changing the components over to Campagnolo C Record. Once I get it done I am not sure how much I will get to ride until the spring. It will depend on what kind of winter we have this year. If we don't get much snow I will get to start getting some miles under my seat before Spring.

I am looking forward to starting to ride and share and learn from everyone here.

Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drorgo View Post
    Hello, I am 53 and new to this forum. I did some biking as a kid and back in the early 90's but none since then. I started running last December to get in shape and lose weight. I am 6ft and was 240 last November and now down to 205. I would like to lose another 10-15 lbs. Right now I run 3 days a week and go to the gym 3 days a week, to do some strength training. I now want to start biking again. I am in the process of rebuilding my Recherché road bike from the mid 80's. It is a Dave Moulton frame. After I get it done, and ride it for awhile, I am going to get a new modern bike. I am having fun right now building a new set of wheels for it and changing the components over to Campagnolo C Record. Once I get it done I am not sure how much I will get to ride until the spring. It will depend on what kind of winter we have this year. If we don't get much snow I will get to start getting some miles under my seat before Spring.

I am looking forward to starting to ride and share and learn from everyone here.

Bob
    There are several of us who combine bicycing with cross training and resistance training.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...er-than-biking)

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,
    Welcome to 50+, The Dave Moulton sounds really nice, the projected build should be a great rider. Post pics when you get a chance in the forum, please.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drorgo View Post
    I am in the process of rebuilding my Recherché road bike from the mid 80's. It is a Dave Moulton frame.
    Welcome to 50+. You should post some info and pics of your bike in the C&V too! You'll get lots of help and encouragement there.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Recherché, Surly Ogre
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    There are several of us who combine bicycing with cross training and resistance training.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...er-than-biking)
    thank you

Bob

My Bikes
    Recherché, Surly Ogre
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Bob,
    Welcome to 50+, The Dave Moulton sounds really nice, the projected build should be a great rider. Post pics when you get a chance in the forum, please.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    Welcome to 50+. You should post some info and pics of your bike in the C&V too! You'll get lots of help and encouragement there.
    Thank you for the welcome. I will post some pictures soon. I should have the build done within the next two weeks.

Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it happened, even though I was fighting it. I turned 50 this month, so I guess I am now allowed in to the 50+ forum.

I ride mostly a 1985 Bridgestone 400 and a Salsa Casseroll. I also have a Curtlo 29er ss for trails. A typical year for me is about 2500 miles outside and maybe another 1200 on the trainer in the winter( I hate the cold).

I have been popping in here and reading the posts for a while but did not want to post until I reached the magic number. Seems like a great group here and I see some familiar names from over in C&V.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KOBE View Post
    Well it happened, even though I was fighting it. I turned 50 this month, so I guess I am now allowed in to the 50+ forum.

I ride mostly a 1985 Bridgestone 400 and a Salsa Casseroll. I also have a Curtlo 29er ss for trails. A typical year for me is about 2500 miles outside and maybe another 1200 on the trainer in the winter( I hate the cold).

I have been popping in here and reading the posts for a while but did not want to post until I reached the magic number. Seems like a great group here and I see some familiar names from over in C&V.
    I know some folks that have stayed 49 for years.

Welcome.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Skyliner (step thru), Hercules 3spd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 54, will be 55 in 5 days, 12/18.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Schwinn Skyliner and a Hercules 3 speed.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Yes, I'll skip some days but I do take Vitamin A, C, Lutien, Lecithin, not so regularly E.now & them Omega 3. I probably should add a little calcium more often.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I have slowed down. I was an overnight stocker at one time, I don't kill myself putting up freight anymore, hopefully will never have to again (big-blue retailer). On the salesfloor now, not as physical but on your feet all day.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

As a child/young teen, bicycling was fun, freedom and transportation, it thankfully still is. When I was in my 30's I commuted around Glendale AZ on a bicycle, I loved it. The Hercules is a present to myself (birthday, Christmas) since I really love the older 3 speeds get me biking again. The Columbia I had stayed in the garage and the rust got to it, shame on me. The Hercules is inside, just got back from a spin on it-about 2 miles-a little while ago.

The Schwinn is outside, in great shape, will make it's way inside also. I start, stop, start and stop. So here I go again, cold weather is here-not so bad this evening, 44, wind 1-3 mph, having just got the Hercules, that's the first "run" with it other than the driveway and lane I live on. I'm tempted to go again, but will wait, I need to eat! I've had a minor sinus? infection, it gets <hot> at work-heat is on, it's hot outside-thanks, home-office...so that doesn't help but I guess we "suck it up".

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

The furthest I've ridden was a 10-11 miles, that could be my work commute (9.8mi) back & forth, I haven't done that, though have gone there on my time off. I like to ride for recreation as well as fitness, highlight "enjoyment" if you will. Nothing like being able to do a store run on the bike, visit friends, neighbors. Not in it for speed, recently read about spinning a little faster (easier) is better for the knees-I thought there was something to that-I realized that again tonight.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Not enough. The most was commuting in Glendale, but the last few years, not being steady at it, I'd say no more than 400 miles. This past year-not enough to talk about Making an effort to change this (now that it's winter-lol). At least it's not too hot like the summer, and the cool air can be refreshing.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

More off than on: Stationary bike, warm ups (deep knee bends, side stradle hops, side bends, twists (@ the waist), bowflex sport. Yard work, trim/cut trees-chainsaw, the real work-I think of it as excercise, part of fitness-is hauling the branches to the front.
    Last edited by ko57; 12-14-12 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarify

My Bikes
    mid 80's Benotto Modelo 3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age. I am 59, will be 60 this next September.

I would think that they ride the same variety of bikes as any age.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

I do not take any vitamins or supplements at all.

Of course I have slowed down a ittle, that is natural.

I worked in a bike shop back in the 80's for about 5 years, got into riding centuries and such.

Just getting back into riding as of today! I will be be doing short rides so I can build up my distance.

I hope to be biking a few times a week.

tougher than a boiled owl droy45's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm almost 53 but have been hanging out in the other forums and just found this one. I ride a newer Fetish Cycles Fixation that I built up myself to meet my comfort levels for commuting and general recreational riding. It's a hardtail mountain bike with slicks for summer and studded Nokians for winter. I rarely ride my vintage road bike because I got spoiled with the plushness of the Fetish. I have been riding all my life and now do about 2500 miles per year. I also like ice skating in the winter to help supplement my physical activities during bad snow days or real extreme cold (which are rare). Commuting to work 11 miles one way when I'm not assigned to be out of town has brought me much pleasure more recently as I had to take on a new job due to a layoff where I was. I had to move, and this has given me alot more riding opportunities like commuting which I couldn't do before. Enjoying every bit of it.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just turned 53 and prefer not to dwell on it, but the greying hair is hard to ignore.

Looking thru the C&V forums it makes me wish I kept every bike I ever owned. Decided to get back into cycling 4 years ago, in part to shed a few pounds, in part to do some cycle touring. I bought a Jamis Aurora Elite, which looking back is kind of a wierd bike. It's not really a touring bike, and it's not really a road bike either. Two years later I picked up a Cannondale R600 on CL. Wow - I didn't know an affordable bike could ride like that. A year later another CL buy, a Cannondale Caad8 R5000 with DA. Lovin that bike so much I picked up another on eBay as a rebuild project for this winter.

No artificial supplements, other than whatever chemicals are in ice cream, potato chips, and Oreo's.

When you start riding again at almost 50 you get a new point of reference. If anything I'm getting faster, but then being fast is not an objective in itself.

Answered above.

Have been doing all kinds of riding. Fitness/training rides, recreational rides with my wife, group rides when I can, a few Fondo's, and pretty much anytime I can with friends. "Someday", I'll actually do some cycle touring again. At the moment it's riding on the trainer in the basement.

I've been fortunate to ride off and on all year long. April thru October are great months to ride here in the Okanagan. Over the winter we get down to Phoenix a few times and enjoy the comparatively warmer temperatures. Annual mileage ... about 2000 miles, but just guessing.

Van Aug12.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, everyone. Enjoy the forum!

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, my first post. I'm 63 years old and my wife… well I better not tell.

Currently my wife and I ride a couple of 2001 Mongoose Pro Titanium Triomphes mountain bikes for off road and use 1995 Mongoose Crossway 850 hybrids for rail trails. We just ordered replacements for the Crossways and in the next week or so we will be riding Giant Escape RX 0s. Looking for forward to it.

Not really, aspirin daily

Well as many told me in my 40's it's all downhill from 50….. but 60 and counting. I am a CHF patient with an RF = 15% and on quite a few drugs and special diet. The good thing is I'm currently a class 1 so not in too bad shape.

All my life, In fact two days after we got married in 72 my wife fell and broke her collar bone. But we still ride. Back in the day we did some bike camping on old touring bikes.

Just keeping the joints moving. A couple of years ago, after retirement, we moved from our home in Maine to central Fl very close to a 46 mile paved rail trail. We try to ride on average 24 or so miles a day. Also we travel with our small motorhome to other trails throughout the states and Canada.

Each day. Have been averaging between 4 and 6 k per mile after retirement. However this year we broke the 7 k mark on Christmas.

Bruce & Cilla

Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast