First post, and this is the day after my first ride in at least 6.5 years. Like many, I'm getting back on a bike for health and weight control reasons. I'm sore in places I forgot I had today. After nearly 30 years of abuse while on active duty, my knees rebelled in my final year of active service and my primary means of maintaining myself (running) went the way of the Dodo. I recently turned 56.
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I have a Giant Roam 2 that I acquired earlier in the week. If I stay with it, it will likely be the first of a couple more acquistions over the next few years.
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
It's difficult to quantify, but I feel as though I have slowed quite a bit. All of my fitness benchmarks are in running, so I have nothing current to compare.
4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Bikes were my primary means of transportation as a kid. If I wanted to go somewhere, that was how I got there. Soccer moms hadn't been invented yet. I became quite adept at transporting myself and whatever else I needed to (football gear, lawn mowers, you name it) via two-wheeled conveyance. I haven't biked regularly since those early teenage years.
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
At this point, my intent is to limit my riding until my body adapts to it. I envision doing a lot of trail work, but who knows where this is going to lead?
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Not established/no clue