Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1555
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, my first post. I'm 63 years old and my wife… well I better not tell.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Currently my wife and I ride a couple of 2001 Mongoose Pro Titanium Triomphes mountain bikes for off road and use 1995 Mongoose Crossway 850 hybrids for rail trails. We just ordered replacements for the Crossways and in the next week or so we will be riding Giant Escape RX 0s. Looking for forward to it.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Not really, aspirin daily

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Well as many told me in my 40's it's all downhill from 50….. but 60 and counting. I am a CHF patient with an RF = 15% and on quite a few drugs and special diet. The good thing is I'm currently a class 1 so not in too bad shape.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

All my life, In fact two days after we got married in 72 my wife fell and broke her collar bone. But we still ride. Back in the day we did some bike camping on old touring bikes.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Just keeping the joints moving. A couple of years ago, after retirement, we moved from our home in Maine to central Fl very close to a 46 mile paved rail trail. We try to ride on average 24 or so miles a day. Also we travel with our small motorhome to other trails throughout the states and Canada.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Each day. Have been averaging between 4 and 6 k per mile after retirement. However this year we broke the 7 k mark on Christmas.

Bruce & Cilla

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Let's just say I easily qualify.

This one rides mostly road bikes, occasionally rides MTBs, and even a "comfort bike" when it rains.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Not yet.

None to date. But I started slow.

About 30 years. Yikes.

About 4-5000 miles a year of commuting and 4-5000 for fun. The fun rides include 60-100 mile climbing rides and double centuries.

Almost daily ... see above.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wanting to respond to this thread for several weeks now but just seemed to be better at lurking. However, I decided to use this to introduce myself to the folks on this 50+ forum. I'm 52 years old and have been a cyclist all my life. I love the bikes, the mechanics of the bikes and how I feel when riding a bike. On to the questions...

I have several bikes, some going way back but my two favorites are my road bike, a Giant TCR C1 full carbon and my old Gary Fisher hardtail Mountain Bike. I live in a "beach town" near marinas and boardwalks etc and the mountain bike with cross tires on it is nice for just getting around town. The road bike is well nice for those long club rides that I enjoy too. I also have a 1980 Nishiki that has been totally retored frame up. It is like looking at a brand new 1980s bike with Suntour Superb Pro groupo. I have had several people want to buy it and convert to a fix wheel but I just can't seem to do that to the Suntour group.

Historically I have been like a YoYo with fitness and diet. Gaining and losing when and where I had the time. Again, I find myself at the highest weight levels of my life, the most stress and anxiety at work and little home life to do anything after work. However, lately I have forced myself to take some time off work during the holidays and I just started back on a riding schedule again. I began taking a multi-vitamin in the morning and Vitamin D since my Doc told me I had nearly none in my blood workup and needed the D. Since getting over a cold at Christmas and beginning riding last week I'm feeling pretty good today. I go back to work next Monday, so I need to really try hard to make all of this work together for this new year. I have a 50 mile commute each way in the morning and evening. So fitting riding in is going to be a challenge to say the least.

When I'm eating right and riding, I feel great and don't feel like I have slowed too much, but when my weight is up, I'm tired and stressed I feel older than my 72 year old dad.

I too have been biking all my life and not just as a kid jumping on the Schwinn to visit my buddy down the street. Even as a 12 year old I was very focused on cycling. I had a close friend that would go on extended bike rides with me every day during the summers when school was out. We both had nice road bikes back then in the early seventies. The bike frames were made of good old fashioned Chrome-Moly by a French company called Fontan. These bikes were very similar to the Peugeot U08 but a little less expensive for us young guys. Those bikes really got us into another level of cycling for young people. We both completed our first century rides when we were 14 or 15 years old. It was an old Baltimore chapter of the League of American Wheel-man organized event called the Hunt Valley Hundred. I'll never forget that ride as long as I live. We arrived at the parking lot start and lots of people were asking us if we trained for the ride and we just looked at them like they were crazy. ("what the heck is training") We rode our bikes every day about ten to twenty miles and we saw the century just as a really long ride... like five or six regular daily rides all stuck together. I rode all through high school and college, stopping for this and that part of my life to get over with. Then again in 2006 I had several friends and acquaintances I knew that had been diagnosed with cancer, and felt like I wanted to help somehow. I decided to get involved with Team In Training. I did the 2007 Lake Tahoe Century with some dear friends in mind. The training for that ride got me back in shape and moved me into riding with groups of people and a local cycling club. Since 2007 my riding has started and stopped numerous times but I still love the feel of the wind on my face and the challenge of finishing a good climb. I'm back in the saddle again now, hoping to stick with it and lose some weight and get back with my riding group again soon.

When I'm back in the saddle it seems like I'm always working to lose weight and gain mileage. I mostly enjoy our local cycling club rides with other people. When I was riding regularly with them we were riding a B to BB paces. I like the 20-25 mile evening training rides that work up to the longer 50-60 weekend rides. A few years ago I think I completed three centuries that summer which was good for me. I'd like to do at least three this year if I can pull it back together early this winter. My first organized charity ride is scheduled for April 27th, its a metric century. I also enjoy just riding my mountain bike around town where I live. Its a small town on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay not too far from our Nation's Capitol. During the summer its nice to just ride down to the marina or a local pub for some lunch and a beer.

When I'm on - I can be riding 100 to 150 miles per week - but I'm not too much a statistics guy or tracking mileage over the long haul. I basically stick to a training schedule and if it call for a 10% increase each week or every other week I'll slap another few miles on to get to where I need to be. My biggest obstacle is being consistent and riding all the time. I often let work and life get in the way instead of putting my riding and my fitness first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First post, and this is the day after my first ride in at least 6.5 years. Like many, I'm getting back on a bike for health and weight control reasons. I'm sore in places I forgot I had today. After nearly 30 years of abuse while on active duty, my knees rebelled in my final year of active service and my primary means of maintaining myself (running) went the way of the Dodo. I recently turned 56.

I have a Giant Roam 2 that I acquired earlier in the week. If I stay with it, it will likely be the first of a couple more acquistions over the next few years.

None

It's difficult to quantify, but I feel as though I have slowed quite a bit. All of my fitness benchmarks are in running, so I have nothing current to compare.

Bikes were my primary means of transportation as a kid. If I wanted to go somewhere, that was how I got there. Soccer moms hadn't been invented yet. I became quite adept at transporting myself and whatever else I needed to (football gear, lawn mowers, you name it) via two-wheeled conveyance. I haven't biked regularly since those early teenage years.

At this point, my intent is to limit my riding until my body adapts to it. I envision doing a lot of trail work, but who knows where this is going to lead?

Not established/no clue

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard Top, grab a rack, stow your seabag and make your self at home, at 50+. Thanks for the long years off service. Old worn out LCPL here, wingwipe type from the mid 70's.

Bill

My Bikes
    1987 Mercian Pro, 1971 Peugeot PX-10E, 1966 Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time I ride a 1987 Mercian Pro that I rebuilt in '07 with Ultegra group and Velocity rims. This summer I retored a Raleigh Sports for local errands and short spins around the neighborhood. Did take it camping this past summer and rode 22 miles with the family on it.

Nothing age-specific but I do use a daily a pack of vitamins and supplements from Isagenix.

A bit. I was never a racer but I could push bigger gears and probably sustain a couple of MPHs faster for longer.

I got serious about riding in the spring of 1972, I was 15 so I morphed from a kid on a bike (Schwinn Varsity, circa 1966) to a cyclist without coasting, so to speak.

These days, shorter than I'd like - 25-30 mile routes. Would like to make the time to get back to longer rides.

Weekend warrior, mileage is too low to even mention!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have: two Stan Johnson built road frames(1988/1989)
    Serotta Atlanta
    Joe McElroy tandem (1984)
    Peugeot PSV 10 (1983)
    Trek 5000
    Couple of old Mountain bikes
    Some other vintage projects..

Daily multi vitamin and some extra vitamin C

I don't know

45 years. A lot as a kid, not so much as an adult, until about 4-5 years ago.

a lot of 20-40 mile rides, maybe 15-20 rides per year that are 50-90 miles. I try to ride on a regular basis, but I don't get out enough in the winter. I have a tandem that I get out on with my wife and kids. I also ride the local trails/paths with my kids quite a bit.

last year 2500-3000(i didn't start recording mileage until August, and logged 1500 miles Aug.-Dec.)

I turned 50 in November.
    Last edited by Roger M; 01-31-13 at 12:29 PM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to 50+ Roger and Ascherer, stick around and enjoy the place, it is friendly and the people are great. Pics are always welcome here.

Bill

My Bikes
    Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be the first to admit that while cycling will remain a passion of mine, my involvement in social threads like this forum and other sports interests I have, is and will be sporadic. About this thread, sorry I'm not around a lot but I'm pleased its still here. I was sort of hoping to find more of a mix of topics ranging from (off the top of my head) daily things that happen on your comute to more personal accounts like "I got into cycling when I saw (your personal hero) there and then, and this and that... or stuff like "ever since Coppi wouldn't let Bartali gain more than 30 or 40 meters and cracked him with his persistant pace" I knew I wanted to ride a Bianchi! (I was 12 or 13 then and devoured evrything I I found to read about Fausto and Gino... lol). I don't mind getting ridiculed for trying to rekindle some of my youths innocence. Heck, the other day a friend of mine and I were completely off our rockers spinning a "what if yarn" thing of something we both thought we would enjoy to seeS: what if, they would introduce a "historic" day (or two... lol) into the itinerary of the three greats, the tour, the giro and the vuelta. for those select "historic" days, all competitors must use identical single suppliers, period correct bikes (like a 1971 Eddy Merckx... lol), down to identical tyres except for frame size, saddle and handlebar prefs (homolgated weight). Let those technology spoiled brats sweat this one up to alpe d'huez... (on equal terms) (now my buddy called me a sadist at this stage...). So. cmon all yer old farts, let some of who ya'll are shine through instaed of getting mired in tech specs of what bikes 50+ yr olds like to ride.... (with regards to my peer group)

still have a heart, I can handle a few scars.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been hanging around for a few weeks now, so I thought it was time to add to this thread. Just turned 63 last month, and the young lady I'm married to is a few years shy of 60.

I currently have a Trek Navigator hybrid, the wife has a similar Giant. I also have a Lightning Stealth SWB recumbent that I haven't ridden much in the last several years, and have it listed on CL as it's just been collecting dust. As I explain below, I've become a bit of an endurance rider, so I'm looking to move to my first roadie in many years, waiting for the weather to warm up so I can do some test rides on a Giant Defy 2, Trek 1.5, Cannondale Synapse 6 or a Specialized Secteur. The wife wants to buy me a new bike as an anniversary gift (anniversary is on the 28th of this month) so I'll have it ready when the weather breaks.

Just fiber capsules and a daily aspirin. I used to be on a statin (Crestor) but the dr. took me off of it at the last physical, and we're waiting for some blood work to come back to confirm that I don't need it any more.

I was noticing a fall-off in flexibility and muscle tone over the last couple of years, and began taking some corrective actions to address those, but other than that, I'm not noticing much in the way of "slowing down". I do notice that I'm much more jealous of my time, which causes me to avoid things I really don't want to do. You begin to realize at my age that you have a rapidly closing window between now and the point at which you may be physically unable to do the things you want to do, so I avoid wasting time on stupid unrewarding activities as much as possible. Makes getting into the office every day a bit of a challenge though!

I think some of the physical deterioration I was experiencing was due to weight. About 8 years ago I dropped 50 lbs, kept it off pretty well, but in the last couple of years I saw it starting to creep back. Started paying close attention to my diet again starting last May and went from 215 to 178 (from what the scale was telling me this morning), and want to take off at least another 8 lbs, but it sure comes off slowly at this point! I also started taking fitness classes last fall when it got too cold to ride. My muscle tone is greatly improved, and the yoga class I've been taking is helping with the flexibility. I've also been taking a weekly spinning class during the off season, which I absolutely despise, but I'm going to start this season with my butt and legs pretty much where they were at the end of last season so I can hit the ground rolling come spring!

I got my first "adult" bike - a classic drop-bar 10-speed - when I was in my 20's and have been cycling pretty regularly for most of my adult life, though it was mostly casual rides around the neighborhood with the kids. About the time I turned 50 I got the recumbent and started to take it a bit more seriously. I weighed 250 lbs (I'm 5'8) at that time, and never took off any weight, but would routinely do 25-mile rides 2 or 3 times a month. Somewhere around the age of 55 or 56 I went back to the DF bike (a Schwinn MTB), as the bent was a little too tall for me, and I found that it was a little hard to maneuver in any situation dealing with traffic, as it was always very awkward to slow down or stop - my legs were a bit too short to do so gracefully. While the recumbents are certainly comfortable, I find that as much riding as I do it kinda all washes out.

I picked up the Trek about two years ago, and started to get a bit more serious, doing more 20+ mile rides on weekends, 12+ mile rides after work and going with the wife on tours and group rides. My goal this year is to do at least one metric century. I've already signed up for a 51-mile group ride that's happening in May, and it'd be cool to try a full century before the snow flies next fall.

It keeps going up every year, and if I wouldn't manage to break something on my cycle computer almost every season, I might have an accurate measure of annual mileage, but I'd guess that I rode 2-4 times a week, 12-30 miles at a time last year, and probably racked up a total of only about 6-700 miles. I think I'll probably double that this year.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 6.2 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just joined the forum because I found this thread so interesting. I am 60 and have been riding for fitness since the early 80's. I got into cycling when I got into triathlons. I was a runner and decided to expand my horizons. It's lucky that I did since my back won't let me run long distance anymore, and I hurt my shoulder and can no longer swim distances either. So, anyway, here are the answers to the questions.

I currently ride a 2011 Trek Madone 6.2 - Ultegra compact with a set of Rol Race SL wheels. I still have my previous bike - a Trek 5200. I only do road biking.

I take a few things - multiple vitamins, krill oil, Glucosamine and Condroitin, Milk Thistle, and a low dose aspirin. I was recently taken off BP meds.

I have slowed a bit, but not that much. I haven't raced in a long time (triathlons) so it is hard to tell.

I biked for transportation as a kid. As I said above I have been riding regularly since the early 80's.

I ride mostly with my wife. We ride together from our house and we are lucky to have some great places to ride around here. We also ride with the local club on occasion, or do a club route ourselves - mostly in search of more hills or different things to see. We did the 5 Boroughs Bike Tour last year as well as the Amish Country Century in Delaware. We are signed up for a bike tour in Arizona in March. We haven't done one of those before and are really looking forward to it.

We get out when we can. Usually that is about 4 times a week. We do spin classes in the winter, and have a Tour de France exercise bike as well. I would say we do something like 2000 miles a year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

My Bikes
    BH Crystal & hoping to get my own MTB soon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, i'm a 52 yo lady rider who just joined bike forums this month

My ride is a BH cristal, prowomen series 2012 roadbike...sorta 'hinted' to the hubby that it would make a great birthday present lol

i juggle work & family so i've been taking supplements for quite awhile. right now its multivits, vitamin c, EPO, omega 3 fish oil, lechitin & occasional glucosamine sulphate.

I felt a slowing down of sorts after i hit 50. i've been running almost everyday since 2005 and it was only in 2011 that i had my first injury, plantar faciitis. sadly, even after treatment it has never really gone away. in fact i started cycling bcos of that injury... to give my muscles a rest, crosstraining became of paramount importance and although i'm still passionate about running, i think cycling is better suited to my current needs.

I would say 'New' - august of last year

My rides are usually group excursions and my longest ride so far was around 110km. i find that i enjoy long rides that takes me to new places instead of shorter training rides along the highways that focuses on speed & performance.

Daily if i had my way lol...but alas its more of a weekend thing. total mileage last year was around 800km

My Bikes
    Specalized Expidetion Hybred. I do about 400-500 miles each month and am aiming for 5000 miles again this year.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell us your age.

I ride a Specalized Expidetion that I really like and am lusting for a 3 wheeler but the good ones are too expensive for me.

Fish Oil

Yes, I have slowed down overall but on the bike I was never that fast to begin with. Since I started riding about 5 years ago I have not noticed any slow down. I HAVE noticed that I am slower to heal from bumps and bruses than I was 5 years ago.

Biked a lot as a kid, got a drivers license at 14 and gave up the bike, started back on the bike at about 64 after lap band surgery. Lost the weight I needed and got hooked on riding in the process.

I generally start out with a 10-15 mile ride on the stationary bike at the rec center. Do that with my wife who doesn't really like to ride on the streets and then go out and do another 20-30 miles on the bike. I ride solo and really like it that way.

I try to ride at least 5 days a week and usually do. I average 5000-6000 miles per year

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things. Age is still 68. Retirement is great!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard to all the new 50+ posters that checked in lately. We love pictures of our bicycles on rides and of the rides you may take. I know several of you are already posting regularly in the threads, please stick around, we aren't really all that strange when you get to know us.

Justifa, it is great to have another lady here, we have many regulars of that persuasion, stick around and add your point of view on the topics.

Bill

My Bikes
    1983 SR road bike, 1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 59 and have been riding since age 7. On and off. Here's a pic of me:

I take a Centrum Silver vitamin most days.
    I have three bikes, see my signature. Here's my favorite:

I have slowed down a bit, but no biggie. I'm mostly a recreational rider. It's great being out in the outdoors.
    1988 Peugeot PY-10/P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamondback "Response Elite" MTB, 2002 Performance M201 MTB and a 1983 SR road bike that has become my favorite ride. At least for now.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shp4man, nice bike. You should be posting that in the C&V forum!
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    1983 SR road bike, 1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    Shp4man, nice bike. You should be posting that in the C&V forum!
    Thank you, sir!
    1988 Peugeot PY-10/P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamondback "Response Elite" MTB, 2002 Performance M201 MTB and a 1983 SR road bike that has become my favorite ride. At least for now.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox, the OP
    I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
    I'm 54 years old

Current bike is a Fuji Absolute Flat bar road bike

Centrum Silver one a day, and Glucosimene (sp) wonderful stuff!

I have been riding hard for the last two years and have a Kinetic trainer for the winter months.
    I have to say I am in much better shape now than I was in my 40's. I rode a lot in my 20's and I am a much better rider now than I was back then.

All my life. Stopped for a while when I got my first car, but now I'm addicted to bicycling.

My main ride is a circuit I do of 12 miles. I ride it very intensley. I'm always beat when I get done. Weekends I ride between 30 - 40 miles as time allows.

I still have a High School daughter that plays travel soccer, so it's kind of tough to get out as much as I would like.
    Last year I had 1,000 maybe a bit more.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm 54 and used to be a runner but find that the bike is easier on the body. Looking to retire in 3 years and hopefully relocate somewhere warmer with lots of oppurtunity to ride my bikes nearby.

Used to just have a big box store bike but couple years ago bought a Trek Mtn Bike to keep up with the kids and get out and about with them. Getting a new Domane road bike this year. I clearly see the difference in bikes now, since I want to go for longer rides. I also there is a definite difference in riding a bike thats actually been sized for you by the LBS, way more comfortable and enjoyable to ride.

does coffee count?

I don't think I've slowed due to my age although it takes longer to recover these days

Like everyone else, had a bike as a kid, two matter of fact. First one was orange with a bannana seat and sissy bar! Got out of it because of time constraints, now nearing retirement and there are more places to ride, getting
    back into it. Going to try RAGBRI this year if I can get on a team. Going to try my first century this year also if I can build on some longer weekend rides.

Neighborhood rides, some distance on the local MUP but not enough. Looking to get back out soon maybe start riding to work (39 miles one way). Starting smaller and working up hopefuly.

Not enough to keep track of, yet.
    Last edited by Roosterbird; 02-28-13 at 07:25 AM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rooster and BreakingWind, welcome to the forum.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    img_9708-1.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    I'm 58. I rode as a kid and through high school and beyond, including some centuries, DCs, and several long tours including cross country (100+ ave. daily, 140 top).

I got involved in other things in later 20s, and rode intermittently until a couple of years ago, with a return to mtn biking, and now mostly road.

I have a Trek 5200, a mtn bike, and an 'urban' knock-around bike. I take some glucosamine.

My best performance was a DC in under 10 hrs (age 19). I haven't got back to that, so I have slowed, but we'll see...

Mostly weekend group rides, 60+ miles, + up to 7000' climbing. I got back to it for cardio, but also because there's such great terrain here that's it's a waste not to.

~2000 miles last year, probably hit 3500 this year.
    Last edited by woodcraft; 03-18-13 at 12:12 AM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A belated welcome to the 50+ forum Woodcraft, hope you are finding the place welcoming and helpful to your return to bicycling.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I'm 57 and started riding last June. I smoked until I was 49 and ended up with a (very?) mild case of emphysema. For years before I started riding I was very sedentary and, though not overweight, in terrible condition. My first rides had me exhausted after a mile or two; now I ride about 15 miles an outing.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Rocky Mountain Metro 50D: alum frame w/ flat handlebars as high as I can get them, carbon fork, Deore gearing, hydraulic disc brakes - 27 pounds as she stands.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Compared to what? (See above.)

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? See above. I biked as a kid. I shudder now at the dangerous things I did. Stopped riding when I went to college.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. The idea for me is to work on my cardio-pulmonary endurance - to get my heart rate up and get out of breath and stay that way as long as my legs can hold out. I ride a gentle uphill slope until I tire, then turn around and re-trace my route. I happen to live in a spot where I can ride gently and steadily uphill about 12 miles. (So far I've not made more than about 8 of those.) I average 10 mph for the whole ride.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I ride between 50% and 70% of days. I haven't ridden a full year yet and my distance keeps increasing. In calendar 2013 I'll probably ride 3500 to 4000 miles. Maybe more.

I've been lurking here a bit since I started riding - learned a few things. Though I'm no expert on any aspect of cycling, I am a bit of a rarity here since I'm no athlete, no racer, in lousy condition, unable to ride very far or very fast, and willing to admit it. Maybe I can contribute a slow-poke's perspective now and then.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 54 re started riding 5 years ago have Spez roubaix Comp *2, a Trek 7.5fx, A Dutch sit up and beg granny bike, a mountain bike never ridden doesn't interest me, I ride most summer days average 40-50 miles unless I am worn out. Have entered the inaugural http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/ I took up cycling to improve sedentary life style and to cycle London to Paris which I have now done twice.
    I wasnt in any fitness state and do find every ride hard even when I do so many recovery seems to take longer than did before. Take recovery,hydrate energy supplements and will this week start on Creatine
    I am a memeber of a gym and take part in at least 4 classes a week consisting of pretty much everything.
    Hate riding in the cold hence havent ridden for 4 months should be starting soon. Have a TACX Fortius indoor setup but just doent do it for me.

Should say that I have not lost any weight but seem to have gained muscle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winnershcyclist,

I tried sending you a private message, but need to have 50 posts to the forum for it to be allowed and so far have only 29. Sorry, everyone, to have to post here.

I saw your recent post to the 50+ Bike Forum that indicated that you have cycled from Paris to London multiple times. My husband and I are planning to do this in late spring or early summer. Did you create your own route or did you use one of the routes shown on the web, for example:

http://london2paris.co.uk

or

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Lo...Route-607.html

Any information you are willing to send would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

spiritrider

Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast