Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/63378-special-thread-50-yo-bicyclists.html)

george25923 12-29-14 09:34 PM

Bike helmet bill length. I wear a baseball cap instead of a bike helmet because the sun bothers my eyes very much. I would like to wear a bike helmet but all the bike helmets I have seen have very short bills for some reason and would not block out the sun. Does anyone know of bike helmets with longer bills similar to baseball caps?
Thanks
Em

longhaulblue 01-01-15 09:59 AM

Please tell us your age. 56

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

A Surly long haul trucker.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Multi-vitamin since my 20s.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I've always been slow. :(

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Gave up driving 4 years ago. My bike is my only form of transporation.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Commuting and touring.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I ride 6-7 days a week. My annual mileage is about 6000miles.

79pmooney 01-01-15 10:52 AM

Currently 5 bikes: (2) ti customs, one triple road and one road fix gear, ~1970 531 Raleigh Carlton set up as a fun winter bike, a 1983 Trek set up as a city/rain/commuter fix gear and my old Peter Mooney10.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
81mg aspirin, vitamin D, vitamin C, multi vitamin and fish oil.

A lot. I raced in my mid 20s. My forte was climbing at a level past aerobic. I get humbled if I do that now! Still a strong climber but I no longer have any of that top end. Younger folk who never would have passed my even into my 50s now do. Long rides take longer although the differences there are not as large if I am in good enough shape. But rides like the 3:58 105 mile road race I did at 23 are just distant memories. That would be more like 5 hours now if I got into super shape and rode it with t he perfect fast group.

First bike at seven. First road bike was my Peugeot UO-8 at 13. Then a Lambert at 20. Raced at 23-25. Never stopped riding.

Long rides, short rides, rides into town, commuting and in recent years, Cycle Oregon. I try to do more miles on bike than driving.

About 250 days/year and ~7,000 miles. Health/injury has hampered me some in the previous several odd numbered years. (Two hard crashes and foot issues.)

george25923 01-12-15 09:38 PM

I started riding a bike again in May 2014 and did about 2400 miles last year. A couple of weeks ago I noticed toe corns on the outside of both of my little toes. They don't hurt when I ride but hurt if I touch them or sometimes when I wear sandles. Anyone else develop toe corns from riding?
Thanks
Em

Fat Freddy 01-13-15 12:09 PM

I ride a Diamondback Haanjo Metro Plus road bike, 700c wheels, 59 cm frame.

Centrum Silver multivitamin.

For biking, not at all. I still have the gams for it. It's how I get my exercise now, my feet are shot.

I've been biking a total of 45 years.

Long leisurely riding, just poke around in new places and light shopping, and watch for photo ops to capture subjects for painting.

I'm just getting back to riding after about six years without a bike. When I rode before it was commuting back and forth to college and then to my job, sightseeing, and for just the pleasure of riding. In my heyday I would estimate 2,000 - 3,000 miles a year.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

I am 65.

h2oxtc 02-01-15 06:41 PM

It's been a long while since I've visited this thread - always interesting to learn more about the "community". Welcome to the recent posters!

Originally Posted by graemesmith (Post 17406545)

Well I went to the LBS and rode my way up the offerings till I didn't feel any improvement for the increase in price tag. I ended up in a stock 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3 which I have since regeared at 53 x 11 as my fitness increased and went electric with a 10 speed Ultegra Di2 kit I got on eBay. As a kid I used to ride strap on pedals - now I am completely at home in SPD's.

Interesting way to buy a bike, and what a sweet road bike at that!

Originally Posted by Joe Minton (Post 17406906)

I also ride my Cannondale Synapse. I keep this bike light (21#) and it is fitted with clipless pedals. I average about three mph faster compared to the other one.

Joe

Welcome Joe, you'll find a strong community of Cannondale enthusiasts here at BF. I have two Caad 8 Optimos, and if I could hide them somewhere would buy more. I love Cannondale's road bikes.

Originally Posted by avidone1 (Post 17407652)

I ride 5 or 6 days a week. Annual mileage is about 2k

Welcome Avidone1. Congrats on the annual mileage!

Originally Posted by longhaulblue (Post 17431592)

Gave up driving 4 years ago. My bike is my only form of transportation.

Longhaulblue, I'm amazed at the number of people on BF for whom a bike is their primary or only mode of transportation. Hats off to you for making it work.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 17431705)

Currently 5 bikes: (2) ti customs, one triple road and one road fix gear, ~1970 531 Raleigh Carlton set up as a fun winter bike, a 1983 Trek set up as a city/rain/commuter fix gear and my old Peter Mooney10.

First bike at seven. First road bike was my Peugeot UO-8 at 13. Then a Lambert at 20. Raced at 23-25. Never stopped riding.

Welcome 79pmooney! That's an impressive cycling pedigree. I've been looking for a Ti bike to add to my collection ... and will someday. I'm presently working on my first ever SS bike (since I was a kid anyway) Will check the SSFG forum to see if you've posted a picture of your Ti fixed gear there.
Edit: Have since discovered your philosophy on technology, so no photos :(

Welcome again!

rockettj 03-16-15 06:09 AM

bike helmet bill length

Bike helmet bill length. I wear a baseball cap instead of a bike helmet because the sun bothers my eyes very much. I would like to wear a bike helmet but all the bike helmets I have seen have very short bills for some reason and would not block out the sun. Does anyone know of bike helmets with longer bills similar to baseball caps?
Thanks
Em

I've got a similar prob and what I did was I ordered from Rawlings a base coach's helmet. no ear flaps. it hasn't arrived yet so don't know if it will solve my issue. i'll write back when it comes in and ive tried it out. good luck, though

icyclist 03-16-15 06:27 PM

Supplements: My girlfriend wants me to. Don't tell her I don't.

Slow down yet? Having ridden up Haleakala Crater about two weeks ago, I'd have to say no, at least in terms of effort. I can't go as fast as I could 30 years ago because I weigh a little more, but I'm probably about as fast on the flats.

How Long? About 60 years. And I still have my 1961 French road bike (Follis).

gugie 03-27-15 12:50 AM

Please tell us your age: 56

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? This 50+ guy rides a bit more upright than a few decades ago. I switched from long TT, 14cm, slammed stem racers to handlebars same height as seat bikes.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Vitamin I daily

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Slower, but I'm compensating by tapering.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? First "10 speed" when I was 13, First "real bike" when I was 15, rode down the Pacific Coast when I was 18, several tours in my 20's, triathlons in my 30's, married, kids, now I'm back in the saddle, again, with a rando style.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Commute to work, 1 week long tour/year. a few 200k brevets/year is my current goal.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Commute 17 miles round trip 4 days/week as a goal, ~5000 miles annually

MARAIS 04-07-15 08:52 PM

Age 62.

1) Today bought a Pinarello Paris Campy Carbon Chorus on eBAY, arrives 16 April.

2) Slowed down?
Paralyzed (bedridden, wrote my will) in 1995 at 42; given wheelchair by Mayo Clinic, diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and Rx'd immuno-suppressing drug for life (ironic, had developed the corporate strategy for this drug company and since I was only on the business side it never occurred to me it cures no one).
However I read a 3-page research paper delivered to my deathbed (had no cognitive abilities, no memory, slurred my speech, could not walk without falling, et al) and discovered German chelation under Dr Dietrich Klinghardt so I fired Western medicine and removed my mercury leaking amalgams (they aint silver, that was marketing in 1830 by Crawcour Brothers who were expelled from the US but not before they distributed "royal succudaneum" (deadly mercury) in the US.
Am back to life, with gratitude. Give speeches globally, am national activist.

3) Tested for Supplements I take on a bio-resonance machine: too numerous to list, but will discuss if interested. Take NO pharma, despite my chronic ribcage pain.
IVs Vit C (non GMO), Glutathione (feel 18 after this!)

4) Cycled across Europe in college and post-grad fellowships studying in France; England; Italy. Midlife: Rented bikes for vacations, short rides around summer houses, always had a bike. Lately, hiatus due to health, so just getting back now. Look forward to it.

5) Will be doing short rec rides around the chain of Lakes nearby; maybe plan for tour in France next year. Would love to see TDF again.

6) Plan to do daily short trips of 10-20 miles starting out, several times per week (5?). We will see.

SkippyJammer 04-14-15 11:53 PM

I've been extremely inspired by riding my bike. I'm 60 y/o. In the best shape I've been in for the last 20 years. I used to be a super fit person, basically a work out junky. Stopped to raise a family but now I'm back in the groove. My old 'fighting weight was 150lbs. I'm now at 162, down from 190. And i've kept it there for the last 2 years. I live in Santa Cruz, CA, a slice of cycling heaven.

I'm mainly on my Trek Madone 3.1 roadie. But it's been radically upgraded. Every component except the shifters and derailleurs. I also have a Trek 29er aluminum MTB.

No

I know I've slowed down. But it's been so long since I was riding I can't reference it. But since I bought my Madone in 2012 I've decreased my segment times dramatically and those marks continue to fall.

I used to race collegiately back in the mid '80's. Plus long hard rides. Then on and off until 2012.

Mostly short sprints up a 650' hill to work (time trial, Merckx style). Plus some longer rides on the weekend.

4-6 times a week. About 5,000 annually (a guess)

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
60 y/o

Give a dollar if you're in the 'Cruz and you want to ride!

Jarrettsin 05-10-15 04:12 PM

Please tell us your age.

Cannondale Quick 4 and I added the Shimano PD 420 click R pedals, been using my iphone but ordered a bike computer.

Nope just trying to diet and eat right

A bunch

25 years ago I used to ride a road bike and could do 50 or 60 miles. Then marriage, kids and life got in the way.
But the kids grew up and I got to retire. So I decided to buy a new bike get back into riding and lose weight. 5' 6" and 195 a month ago when I started down to 190 now!

Working on building up my distance and climbing strength (I live in a very hill area)

Been getting out 3 times a week about. have put a 190 miles on the bike in the month plus a few days I've had it. Did a nice 26.7 miles today with an avg of 12 mph (small rolling hills)

Striper4 05-10-15 05:16 PM

Age 55
My Ride is a Trek Dual Sport 8.5, upgraded from a Cannondale F800
Really just got back into riding a few years ago and now try to ride atleast 100+ miles per week.
Take a multi vitamin
I'm 6' 194lbs in decent shape but want to get down to 185s and more toned.
My riding style is pretty aggressive and my average cruise speed is 18mph on the Trek Dual Sport (I like to engage the Road Bikes and push, and there are many instances where-by I'm right on there tails or passing them. The 8.5 is pretty fast for a Dual Sport/Hybrid Type Bike.
My Goal is to be in tip top shape when I retire at 62 so God willing I can enjoy many years of retirement.

BikeForMoi 05-13-15 09:08 AM

<donning Kevlar vest>

Age 54

I have a new eBike. Yes, an electric-assist bike. It's an urban/city type bike with pedal assist. And guess what? I used that bike on my very first "slow spokes" group ride last night, which wasn't slow at all. LOL. Yes I got some interesting looks. I know I'm breaking some cardinal rule and a group of Lycra-clad enthusiasts will show up with pitchforks at my door, but I don't care. I can't ride without some assist and that's just the way it is. As it was, even with pedal assist, I was working hard on that 17.5 mi loop. I was cranking those pedals and sweating in the humidity and I feel it today. I was never a cyclist and never in good shape and I'm carrying 40 extra lbs as it is.

My philosophy: we work with what we have and celebrate anything that allows someone to ride a bike, no matter the bike type.

ColaJacket 05-13-15 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BikeForMoi (Post 17801427)
<donning Kevlar vest>

I have a new eBike. Yes, an electric-assist bike. It's an urban/city type bike with pedal assist. And guess what? I used that bike on my very first "slow spokes" group ride last night, which wasn't slow at all. LOL. Yes I got some interesting looks. I know I'm breaking some cardinal rule and a group of Lycra-clad enthusiasts will show up with pitchforks at my door, but I don't care. I can't ride without some assist and that's just the way it is. As it was, even with pedal assist, I was working hard on that 17.5 mi loop. I was cranking those pedals and sweating in the humidity and I feel it today. I'm 54 and was never a cyclist and never in good shape and I'm carrying 40 extra lbs as it is.

My philosophy: we work with what we have and celebrate anything that allows someone to ride a bike, no matter the bike type.

Good for you, at least you're getting out there and biking.

What group does this 17.5 mi loop, and where does it start. I live in Morrisvile, NC.

Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014.

Just trying to eat right.

I've just returned to biking to improve my fitness, so I'm hoping to speed up as I get more fit.

I biked a good bit in HS/College, but not a lot in the past 25 years. I've been biking for a month, now.

Right now, I'm biking around the neighborhood, but I hope to do group rides, within the next month. I'd like to do a half-century (either US or Metric) before I turn 51.

I try to ride 4-5 times a week.

I am 50.

BikeForMoi 05-13-15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ColaJacket (Post 17802065)
Good for you, at least you're getting out there and biking.

What group does this 17.5 mi loop, and where does it start. I live in Morrisvile, NC.

The group is a "Slow Spokes" Meetup group, though I don't find anything slow about it! I just joined them for the 1st time last night. Go to meetup.com and do a search for "Slow Spokes" in Cary. They have beginner/D/C/B rides, though I would actually classify their ride paces as D/B/A. I was in the "D" group, of which was comprised of the 2 organizers and me. Everyone else was riding over 16mph. Last night 3 of us did the 17.4mi loop and everyone else (about 12 others) did a longer 22 or 23 mi loop.

Their rides always start from the parking lot near Wells Fargo Bank at 10050 Green Level Church Rd. They have a weekly Tues night ride and a Sunday pickup ride and a more advanced ride I think on Thurs evenings.

ColaJacket 05-13-15 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BikeForMoi (Post 17802091)
The group is a "Slow Spokes" Meetup group, though I don't find anything slow about it! I just joined them for the 1st time last night. Go to meetup.com and do a search for "Slow Spokes" in Cary. They have beginner/D/C/B rides, though I would actually classify their ride paces as D/B/A. I was in the "D" group, of which was comprised of the 2 organizers and me. Everyone else was riding over 16mph. Last night 3 of us did the 17.4mi loop and everyone else (about 12 others) did a longer 22 or 23 mi loop.

Their rides always start from the parking lot near Wells Fargo Bank at 10050 Green Level Church Rd. They have a weekly Tues night ride and a Sunday pickup ride and a more advanced ride I think on Thurs evenings.

I'll have to work myself up to the 17.5 mi loop. I'm doing about 7 mi per ride right now.

GH

BikeForMoi 05-13-15 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ColaJacket (Post 17802103)
I'll have to work myself up to the 17.5 mi loop. I'm doing about 7 mi per ride right now.

GH

Come out anyway! It's a "no drop" group and there's a 9 mi easy loop that I was expecting they would do. I was very surprised when they kept going and I was struggling to do 17. If you come then we can do the short loop! I put the 'slow' in slow spokes.

qcpmsame 05-14-15 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by BikeForMoi (Post 17801427)
<donning Kevlar vest>

Age 54

I have a new eBike. Yes, an electric-assist bike. It's an urban/city type bike with pedal assist. And guess what? I used that bike on my very first "slow spokes" group ride last night, which wasn't slow at all. LOL. Yes I got some interesting looks. I know I'm breaking some cardinal rule and a group of Lycra-clad enthusiasts will show up with pitchforks at my door, but I don't care. I can't ride without some assist and that's just the way it is. As it was, even with pedal assist, I was working hard on that 17.5 mi loop. I was cranking those pedals and sweating in the humidity and I feel it today. I was never a cyclist and never in good shape and I'm carrying 40 extra lbs as it is.

Exactly my thoughts, I tell well meaning people that tell me, "its unfair that You have to deal with Parkinson's Disease, or the major surgeries, or the chronic kidney disease," I simply thank them, then tell the person that "You play the hand you are dealt", whining about things won't make it go away, or help you get through the difficult times. Getting out and riding, no matter what you ride, is a step in taking back your life. Stick with your rides, no matter what, it will be worth your efforts.

Bill

SammyJ 05-17-15 04:40 PM

Please tell us your age.

Just turned 60

Cannondale CADD8 105

A slew, two many to list!

I haven't. I weigh less now than I did in high school.

All my life, not every month or year, but

Local rides for training and endurance, local MUP and bike lanes.

2-4 times a week. 1K

Jumbos 05-19-15 04:14 PM

True Newbie. Turned 64 last week and purchased a Specialized Expedition Sport. Long time runner (30+ years) and still going strong but recent injuries (knee and foot) have "encouraged"
me, along with my surgeon's recommendations, to find alternative forms of exercise in addition to running....therefore, the Bike. Stay tuned.

Dolanarc1 05-19-15 04:41 PM

Please tell us your age.

Just acquired a new Dolan Ares SL Carbon, complete with Dura Ace Dsi, best carbon bike I've had in 12 years. :)

Good and proper nutrition has always been a large part of my life. The family and I have been seeing a Dr of Naturalopathy . He is a big believer in freshness and good quality. He makes his own shake powder. It has brown rice protein, enzymes, amino acids, anti-inflammatory ingredients, etc.etc
I have one shake in the morning for breakfast and I'm good to go. Almost all of my aches and pains from years of competition have faded.

Considerably, but still have no problem hitting 60+ kph in a sprint with the boys,

42 years competitively, I'm addicted like a drug

About 10-12 hr per week, most of my road rides are 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. But now that we have the new Pan Am velodrome I've been sprinting again :)
I've been to Italy a few times recently, going for 3-4 hour rides with a gang of locals and then stopping somewhere nice for lunch and a cool glass of vino, well, if there is a bike riders heaven that just about does it for me, :)

Almost everyday, but if something comes up and I have to miss I'm anal about it like I used to be, average 8-10,000kph per season

Poonjabby 05-20-15 06:58 AM

I have two bikes one is my gravel/commuter Specialized Secteur Sport disc. I’ve upgraded the seat, seat post, brakes and tires and wheels. The second is a Specialized Roubaix Elite SL4 that has been upgraded with Roval CLX40 wheels. The Secteur is dialed in comfort wise I’m still tweaking on the Roubaix.

Not really

Age I don’t think I’ve slowed. My uphill daily grind is weight. I’m currently on a 1700 calorie a day diet trying to shed 50 pounds. I’m frustrated with myself that I let myself get so far out of shape. I’m determined to get this weight off. I’m a competitive personality and I hate being the one everyone in the group waits on.

I started cycling in May of 2014. I’d ridden bikes as a kid.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

Commuting mostly during the week. Longer 30-50 mile training rides on the weekend.

I commute to work 3-4 days a week. It’s 8.27 miles from my house to work. So round trip it’s about 16.6 miles each day. A couple a days a week I’ll commute from my work to my wifes work and pick up her car and drive it home and she will ride her bike home. Those days work out to a little over thirty miles a day. On the weekend I’ll do between 30-40 miles a day. I’m averaging right now 130-150 miles a week. My goal this year is 6000 miles.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

None

I turned 51 February 2015 of this year.

oldnfixed 05-30-15 11:38 PM

Iʻll be 57 in September. I rode as a kid, quite a bit in my late teens through late twenties. From high school until 1992 I was a pack-a-day smoker. Iʻve been an almost-every-day, year-round commuter since 1999. I average 3500-4000 miles a year. Iʻm partial to vintage equipment. My main ride since mid 2007 is a 1963 Jack Taylor road frame built up as a fixed gear. I also have a 1990-era Cannondale mountain bike converted to road (drop bars, smooth tires). I have a 1964 Moulton 4 Speed (Sturmey Archer internal hub) I ride for fun. All my bikes have fenders, racks, panniers and lights. I wear a variety of wool shirts, regular shorts, and street shoes when I ride. The only supplement I take is a daily glucosamine caplet. Iʻve been working toward a grain-free diet for the last year or so. I do some upper body and core work (nothing elaborate) to try to keep things balanced. I also get to walk 3-4 miles a day (Iʻm a mailman). No physical issues to complain about. I tried some group rides but I get claustrophobic in a pack. I like solitary rides. When I donʻt ride I get depressed. I feel as good now as Iʻve ever felt. Iʻll ride ʻtil I die (on the bike, I hope).

The Pusher Man 06-02-15 08:16 PM

Currently I ride a 2013 Schindelhauer Viktor, gearing is 60T/30T with a Gates carbon belt (I live in the hills with significant elevation changes). In years past I rode a Bianchi Limited SL (among others) and made it through several century rides (the good old days). I don’t take any supplements at the moment but eat healthy and ride regularly. It seems for me I have slowed down with rides covering 20 miles or less (ET’s not what they use to be) but have better endurance and can cover longer distances without as much fatigue when ET is not a consideration. (I think it’s because I’m better at daydreaming now than when I was younger). I’ve been biking all my life with the most miles ridden when I was 30-45. The single-speed Viktor is a departure for me from the geared bikes I’ve owned in the past. I find it more relaxing and my head is in a more tranquil state, I am not equipped for speed and I don’t have to worry about what gear I should be in. I’m still into distance rides, and enjoy good elevation changes along the way – that’s why the 2:1 gearing. I guess you could say my biking attitude has transitioned from a competitive mind set to a recreational one. I usually ride once a day for ~10 miles but during any given week try for a 30 miler as well. I do upper body work outs 2-3 times a week along with ab work to keep this aging machine from falling apart. I turned 61 this month and feel pretty good considering … knock on wood.