Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/63378-special-thread-50-yo-bicyclists.html)

MikeSimone 04-30-17 09:26 PM

New to BikeForums and 50+

Greetings from Virginia! (Below is my first post to BikeForums last week.)

I'm Mike Simone, age 64, and just joined BikeForums this morning. I noticed a great thread from 2004-2011 about Rolls bicycles, and I will post a good bit of information to that thread (if it is still open) about the top road racing "Strada Professionisti" frame that Rolls had made in Italy in the early 1970s. Our collegiate team at West Point used them 1973-1975, and for a few years more after I graduated in 1975. I still have mine and love riding it, although I converted it to a fixed-gear 16 years ago. I have photos of the original bike, the reconditioned Rolls, and information I'd be glad to share about the dozen or so Campy-equipped Rolls that we obtained through Cyclesport in Park Ridge, NJ, and the early days of collegiate racing that the West Point team was active in promoting on the East Coast in in the mid-seventies.

More to follow soon,

Mike

caloso 05-03-17 12:11 PM

May 3, 1967

Hey, today is my birthday and I am finally eligible to join this august group. I've been looking forward to it. I usually hang out in the 33, Road, and Commuting forums.

Please tell us your age: 50 years, 0 days.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Road, mostly.
2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Ridley Excalibur
1986 Gazelle Champion Mondial

I am in the process of building up an Ellworth Roots CX bike and I have a 1990(?) Specialized Rock Hopper utility/beater.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Not really. I take magnesium in the summer to deal with cramps, but nothing else.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I don't think so. I'm definitely fitter than when I was 30 and I might be a hair faster than when I was 40. My diet is a lot better, for sure, and that hasn't hurt.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I've ridden a bike as long as I can remember.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I commute everyday and I road race--crits and road races, primarily. I have raced CX but both my kids play soccer so fall weekends are pretty full and it's been hard to get away to race. I might like to get a TT bike eventually. And if we ever get a velodrome built, I will definitely buy a track bike.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I ride nearly every day. I've averaged 6500 mi/yr over the last 5 years.

rustyjeeps 05-08-17 11:46 PM

I have an old Gary Fisher Mountain bike, a Merlin road bike and a Bruce Gordon touring all in decent shape and ridden, not as much as I would like

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I have always taken supplements and vitamins, no more now than when I was 40.

At 63, I have slowed down enough that I quite kidding myself a long time ago.

Off & on, all my life.

I am building for my first century then some multi-day tours after that.

I said before, off & on, when I'm on I get obsessed and ride a lot, 100 plus miles a week, I am coming from an "off" and back up to three 20 mile rides a week

IFG 05-21-17 11:53 AM

3-10-1961.

Member for a while, but I just started posting cause I need help over-hauling my Schwinn Voyageur bottom bracket. Most favorite bike 1978Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 that I did a ton of touring with before it hit a car door in 1990 in LA.

Bsgs87 05-28-17 12:20 PM

Please tell us your age. 68 and going strong

Specialized Roubaix Expert, Torelli Limited Edition, Jamis Zenith Comp on trainer

Multi vitamin, D3, prostate pill

Not much if any

At least 10 years

They are all good, but usually between 20 - 35 miles

I try to get in at least 3 rides a week.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.[/QUOTE]

packitin 06-01-17 06:36 PM

What type of bikes do 75+ folks ride? (I changed the age because I just attended by 60th HS reunion)
2008 roubiux Fuji

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? no

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I'm still kicking, that's all

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? 71 yrs of biking on and off
I've had about 15 bikes in my life. I have wrecked on most of them, but I'm still here.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. 5 or 6 miles (level if possible)
(average 25 miles per week - down from the 60 miles per week I did 5 years ago.)

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? 10 times per month.
About 250 miles per year. (I'm using the greenway that runs by the hospital, for obvious reasons)

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things. (I'm coming up on 79 - Oh My God!)

dhager 06-16-17 01:17 PM

Please tell us your age:

I ride a 2006 Cannondale Adventure 400 hybrid around my hilly, wooded neighborhood in Pennsylvania

We also have a house near the shore in New Jersey, where I ride an old Raleigh Pursuit road bike converted to a more upright riding position.

Daily B12 because 4 years ago I suddenly developed pernicious anemia, which was a shock.

I've slowed quite a bit from my 20s and 30s. Running was my activity of choice until my knees got bad in my 40s, so I switched to biking. I have also gotten back into weight training.

Off and on all my life.

Leisurely rides, mostly. Around the neighborhood and on the good rail trails found in Pennsylvania.

I'm a weekend biker, and some evenings around the neighborhood. I am building a road bike (starting with a 27" 1987 Cannondale frame) and want to start participating in some longer organized rides.

bobwysiwyg 06-16-17 01:49 PM

Please tell us your age.

73.. for a few more weeks. ;)

Currently, a Mongoose Selous.

No

Yes, slowed down, but can't quantify.

I'd say reborn. Got back to cycling 4-5 years ago after I quit smoking. It was to be something of an anchor for me (it's worked).

I tend to prefer longer rides, 15 or so miles and up. My longest so far is 42 miles.

6. How often do you bike?

3-5 times per week. My goal this year is 3,000 mi.

Mack3601 07-09-17 10:19 AM

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 59

I ride a 2016 Specialized Sirrus and a Genesis GS29 as a back up.

Only Saw Palmetto.

I had slowed down a ton until I started cycling at age 57.

Seriously about 1.5 years now.

Fitness riding, roads around my home. I ride 15-25 miles per day but I try to stay within 5 miles of my house in case I have to walk my bicycle home.

Last year was 4000 miles

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.[/QUOTE]

DazedNContused 07-11-17 08:34 PM

I've started riding with some new friends lately and gained a new perspective for over 50. I turned 60 three months ago. I have been back on the bike now for about three years, mountain biking to begin with but mostly road bikes now. The group I ride with now, men and women, are from 5 to 15 years my senior. Even with my age "advantage" I find myself struggling to keep up most of the time. Even more humbling is listening to their talk of how they no longer are concerned with being fast but are just out for a fun ride. I feel like a youngster, learning from the older kids as they share the experience they have gained from years in the saddle. One day in particular, while riding in a group of eight or nine, it felt so much like a flashback to my ten year old summers, riding with no particular goal other than the joy of riding.

Hospengr 07-26-17 05:36 PM

Please tell us your age. Almost 58

I ride a 2005 Specialized Roubaix (time for an upgrade!), and most recently, a Trek 520 touring bike (preparing for 9 week coast to coast tour, Southern Tier), to begin September 10.

Omega 3, but not sure it does anything. Also taking 2 prescriptions for high blood pressure, which did not develop until 1 year ago, post retirement. Go figure!

Started cycling at age 45, and was in the best shape of my life. (had bicycles all my life, but didn't really know about "cycling.") Rode centuries and doubles from 2005 through 2010, then slowed down due to new job and an injury (non-cycling related). Still rode from 2010 - 2017 about 1x/month. Wow, did that show how out of shape I was. This year, began training in earnest for the aforementioned tour, and ride about 300 miles/month. Still out of shape!

Started at age 45 in 2005, but had bicycles all my life. First century in 2005, trained through Team in Training.

Mostly 30 +/- mile rides with the local club, but throw in a few longer rides. Will ride my first century in over 7 years next month. Tour starting in September will average about 55 miles/day, for nine weeks. Love the club rides - the last one was 54 miles with 5538 feet of climbing. Nice 27 mile descent!

So far this year, 41 rides for a total of 1333 miles. Upped the ante in April, and especially May. Rode over 500 miles in May alone. In 2016, I rode 24 rides, 572 miles. Quite the difference!

ParamountScapin 07-26-17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hospengr (Post 19747413)
5. Tour starting in September will average about 55 miles/day, for nine weeks.

Dang............ that's a lot of miles. 9x7x55 = 3465mi. One hellva tour. That's what I used to do in 52 weeks.

PeterCT 08-08-17 01:48 PM

Please tell us your age. 51. Was out of cycling for years, got back into it the last few years.

Bianchi Veloce 2002; Trek FX 7.4

Nope though I have to take high blood pressure meds.

I'm not like I was when I was 25 or 30 but i'm stronger at 51 than I was at 41.

Whole life with a 15 year break from early 30's to late 40's.

Midweek, 10-15 hilly miles, weekends 40+, and I tour on the Trek FX on gravel and paved roads. Going back to Vermont in late August for a 6 day tour.

I try to get in at least 3 rides a week, often 4 or 5. I have no idea what my annual mileage is!

adamrice 08-17-17 05:19 PM

My road bike is a Bob Jackson made of 853, built up mostly with Campy Chorus
My street bike is a Swobo del Norte single-speed. I need to replace it.
I've also got a Catrike Speed.

No

Hard to say. I've been off the bike for a while and got back into riding regularly 3 weeks ago, so I'm still building my base. I've got better instrumentation now, so it's easier to objectively measure my performance than it used to be. Not sure, but I get the impression that a lower max HR has reduced my performance, if nothing else. Based on where I am in my rebuilding, a 30-miler now feels a lot harder than it seems like it should (the Austin summer doesn't help).

Have been riding since I was a kid—rode my first tour when I was 14. Raced a little in college but never had the killer instinct to make that worthwhile. Rode the Southern Tier in 2010, and hung up my bike upon completion (not because I was sick of riding—I just let other stuff crowd it out).

Short solo road rides right now. Have some thoughts about local credit-card touring, and eventually want to ride a different transcontinental route.

Right now, four 20-milers a week plus one longer, 30-40 miles. Once I've got about 1000 miles in my legs, I'll reevaluate. Total annual mileage remains to be seen, but I'd like to at least maintain current weekly mileage, though perhaps with fewer, longer rides.

Guru_of_IT 08-17-17 07:40 PM

Please tell us your age.

I ride a Specialized Roll

Boy howdy. Family history and my own history have turned me into a walking pill box. Fish oil, an 81 mg aspirin, multivitamin, magnesium, Vitamin D-3, rantidine and 4 prescription maintenance meds every day.

Unfortunately. Hypothyroid and chronic migraine will do that to you. Thankfully one is well controlled and we're getting the other under control.

Started at age 5 and biked up to 32. I gave it up for marriage (wife doesn't ride), kids and career. Plus we moved somewhere that cycling wasn't well tolerated.

I used to road ride. Now I'm going to be riding greenways and hopefully some of the "rails to trails" type rides.

I'm literally just starting back; first ride was yesterday, 7.28 miles. I'm hoping to get 2-3 rides per week and get in 500-ish miles/year to start. We'll see how it goes from there.

caloso 08-18-17 11:40 AM

Welcome back, Guru

jeromeoneil 08-18-17 12:56 PM

I'm turning 50 next year, and it's kind of freaking me out. This is just prep work for the inevitable.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
49 and 1/6th. :)

Mountain bikes primarily. I rode them a whole lot when I was younger. I'm just getting back to it now. I'm also converting to a more road friendly ride, but I live on a trail so I don't want to abandon that completely.

Jameson. A hot port on a cold day. That cures just about all my ills.

Complex question. I have four kids. My oldest is 28. My youngest just turned 2. So I can't really slow down too much. On the bike, though, I haven't got a lot of desire to go bombing down technical single track any more. If I'm going to crash, I would like a little runoff area.

Around a while. Took some time off. Getting back on.

Short rides right now. I try to get 45 minutes to an hour a day. I'm eventually going to ride into work. I'm planning an epic over the pass, although my conditioning isn't ready for it. I have a goal of doing the Seattle to Portland next year for my 50th, but again, conditioning.

I try to ride a bit every day. Mileage? I don't keep track.

funbikerchick 08-27-17 01:52 PM

Please tell us your age.
I am 57.

I currently ride a Liv Avail Advanced Pro. It is a road bike in the endurance category. I bought this one this summer. Before that I rode a Specialized Sirrus hybrid. I had two. The first was a Sirrus Sport Disc and the second was a Sirrus Sport Carbon.

I take a daily vitamin and Vitamin D.

I don't really have the energy for the same sustainable period that I used to have. Also, my muscles absolutely remind me the next day that I am not as young as I used to be.

I rode all the time as a kid. Then took up riding again two summers ago (Summer of 2015).

I spend most of my time on a smart trainer connected to Zwift. Other than that my average is about 20 - 30 miles of rail-trail asphalt riding. Next Saturday I will be riding my first century. I am excited but nervous at the same time.

I have no idea. I ride the trainer about 3 to 4 times per week for between 30 mins to one hour. I do this year round. My outside rides are much less frequent due to busy schedule and New England weather.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things. Again, I am 57.

packitin 08-28-17 11:08 AM

I can't answer any more questions. There are a bunch of kids on this thread.
If you are under 75, just be thankful and enjoy the rides. If I can go another 3 years, I'll be happy.
Since my wreck (which almost did me in ---- 1.5 days in ER, with bleeding on the frontal lobe), I am lucky if I can get in 25 miles per week. (I go on the greenway that goes just past the hospital - they can take me right in, I won't have to go far to the ER). I still enjoy it though, so who knows. My next purchase will be to attach a battery to my bike and help me to go up the hills.

Bustergut 09-02-17 10:12 AM

Please tell us your age.

A 3 year old Marin San Rafael.

Cod liver oil

Its been so long so must say a lot slower, as its almost 50 years since I last rode a bike and its a vast difference as my last one was built for me, it was a 5 gear racer, sadly its no more as I had a bad accident on it and an aluminium frame just doesn't survive a car running over it.

From 2 or 3 to 16

I used to do racing in a club then after my big accident I gave up to concentrate on running which I did for 30 odd years. but looking forward to all types of riding now as I want to do some of the long distance rides.

Not known

MikeSimone 09-03-17 08:00 PM

Keep on Riding -- Use It or Lose It!

I'm 64. I learned to ride serious bikes in 8th grade when I started longer rides on my Dad's fixed geared with wooden rims that had belonged to a great Belgian champion in the 1920s. I still have that bike and ride it on occasion.

My other favorite bikes are two Italian road frames: A Rolls (read Colnago) 1974 criterium bike with 10-speed Campy that I learned to race on in college, and which I converted to a fixed gear about 16 years ago. And a Mondonico stage racing frame (all Campy, of course) that I bought in 2001. I also have a 1995 Cannondale aluminum touring bike that I use for trails and local fun rides, but most of my workouts are on the fixed gear or Mondonico. As you can see, I love the traditional Italian steel frames with classic Campagnolo; I've tried some of the titanium and carbon bikes, but would not trade my Italian steel frames for them, even if the newer bikes were free of charge.

The keys to being healthy and fit in your Sixties are a) riding regularly, b) keeping diet, alcohol, weight, sleep patterns, etc., in moderation (I've never latched on to any fad diets or jazzy commercial exercise programs), and c) adding in other fitness activities and workouts, such as hiking, running, climbing, cross-country skiing, swimming, calisthenics, and moderate free weights or gym machines. I'm not competing and I really don't track statistics or total miles, but I'm cycling and adding in some of the other activities several times a week, and I've been doing these for about 50 years now without any major break.

I like fixed gear with tubulars because of the fun of "slalom" turns on open roads and cul-de-sacs, and because the fixed gear provides such a great strength workout for all the leg and lower core muscles.

I have to admit it's fun when I quickly pass people in their Thirties or Forties on a hill and they yell out something about "how it must be nice for you younger guys to be able to ride so well"!

So, for all of you who really are young (i.e., less than 64 years old), keep on riding! Use it or lose it!

Mike

adamrice 09-04-17 04:06 PM

Mike, I would love to see your dad's old track bike.

Tazeman 09-08-17 06:35 PM

Im a 58 year old male. Ridden on and off my whole life.

Road a Schwinn World Voyaguer for years (since 1972). Also, have a Trek 745 (internal hub). Just bought a new Kona Roadhouse Raw (freakin unbelieveable!)

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I do a whey protein shake every morning. I take cordycepts and over the counter testosterone.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Duh

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Most of my life.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. The road are so dangerous I really ride the neighborhoods. Sometimes on the weekends I get out early and log in the miles before the shoppers and church drivers get out.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Weekdays its usually 15 miles/day. Weekends vary - 30-50/day.

MikeSimone 09-10-17 07:52 PM

Photos of fixed gear from 1920s and 1970s

Adam and others asked for photos, so I'm attaching some in several postings. On the green Belgian Dossche Sport 1929 frame (modern paint after a disastrous attempt to chrome the bike in the 1960s . . .) you can see the old world lugs, small round chain stays, and distinct rake on the front fork to absorb the rough cobbled roads of Europe. The rims are Italian from about 1925. Belgian national road champ and 2x-winner of the Tour of Flanders, Gerard Debaets, moved to NJ around 1930 and became a world leading racing in the then-popular Six Day races in NYC, Newark, Nutley, and other velodromes around the USA and world. Google his name for some fascinating history of the one of the real "hard men" of Belgium cycling. Also see the DVD by Peter Nye "The Six Day Races" and Michael Gabriele's book "The History of Bicycle Racing in New Jersey" for more on Debaets and his peers. NYT sports page articles from the era marvel at how he survived WWI with two serious gunshot wounds in both legs, yet competed in the Tour de France and many of the one-day Classics over the next ten years.

My father and uncle, who lived near Gerard's bike shop in Paterson, NJ after he retired from pro racing around 1935, learned to race from him and bought his Dossche Sport road training bike. It's taken a lot to recondition the old steel and put on all modern (1960-1970) components to replace the rusted out parts, but I still ride it on occasion. The hubs and 69 of the 72 spoke date back to at least 1935, probably earlier.

The Rolls (someone had earlier threads on the 1970s Rolls) is from 1974. I raced on it in college, then converted from the old school 10-speed Campy to Campy Pista fixed gear about 18 years ago. Still love to ride this on hard workouts on rolling hills!

I see now that I have to convert the hi-res photos to a compressed format, so I'll get these pics posted over the next few days.

Mike

ririder 09-11-17 08:05 AM

I have a 2008 Specialized Sequoia that I use for most of my riding. I also have a Fuji Crosstown (?)that I installed a rack and paniers on that I use for quick runs to the store.

Not usually. In the winter I'll take vitamin D tablets.

It seems like I've slowed down since I was last riding seriously. I've been off the bike for about 4 years. I'm still getting back in shape so I'm not passing judgement on myself yet, and if I did slow down, no big deal.

I rode a bike all through my youth and then when I got my license that all stopped until I was in my thirties. In 2009 I rode in the Pan Mass Challenge to honor my mother who lost her battle pancreatic cancer. Getting ready for that ride opened my eyes again to riding. I took a few years off due to laziness and other life things getting in the way. I'm back on again and hopefully it lasts this time. I feel good when I ride.

I ride for fitness primarily. A few years ago I was riding on average 100 miles a week. Most of that was on local rodes. Fortunately we have pretty generous bike lanes here and I haven't have too many problems. We also have some good mixed use bike paths that I'll ride on from time to time.

Right now I'm doing anywhere between 7-10 miles, every other day as I try to get back in shape. Ideally I would like to do 10-15 miles 5 or more times a week with the occasional longer (30 miles) thrown in on the weekend.