Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Is It Just Me (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/634265-just-me.html)

ddez 04-05-10 12:14 PM

Is It Just Me

Ive spent $1000s as most of us have,and gone through literally dozens of bikes and hundreds of bits and pieces(accessories)over the years,selling and or giving away and buying more always looking for that perfect bike or combination of bikes and never reaching that goal. We all call it N+1 dare i say sickness. Im down to 2 bikes and just recently realized im there,im not thinking about just one more accessory or bike. Everything ive set up on these 2 right down to the type of bells, is perfect for me. My mind is at rest so to speak.
So im wondering is this a mutation of the N+1 sickness or are there others out there who are perfectly satisfied,money no object, and have no desire to change a thing or add too the collection.
Im almost scared to ask. Id hate to be the only one with this new sickness. Maybe its old age setting in:eek:

rumrunn6 04-05-10 12:23 PM

everyone goes through a slump! :-)

Robert Foster 04-05-10 12:27 PM

:lol:I think it might be just you. :eek:

Bud Bent 04-05-10 12:53 PM

I'm kind of at that point, too, but I'd be very surprised if it lasts.

stapfam 04-05-10 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am down to 4 road bikes- 2 mountain bikes and one Tandem. (Could never afford another Tandem) But I have found that Only one MTB got used over the winter. The Tandem did not go out at all--

But on the road bikes- One for rides and one for hills. The Old OCR is getting ready for a few more Charity rides as it is the only one that will take the Placard. On top of that- It is a small bike and fits the neighbours son when he feels like taking me out for a thrashing.

Attachment 144927

But the other one. I bought it as a possible commuter but son-in-law needs it more than me. It was really bought with him in mind but I like riding it aswell. He was using the TCR but I wanted to use it occasionally so the 4th bike was bought so that I could get the TCR back. Problem is that it was cheap. Just a Giant FCR 1 frame at the LBS and built up using old stock from the shop. Only 9 speed but Ultegra throughout. Only basic items used in building it up but good basic items that have been kicking around the shop for a few years. Only Mavic Aksium wheels but they are the new type that are lighter.

I like riding that bike. So I am on the look out for another bike. Not for me you understand- I think I have enough bikes- but Son-in-law now needs a commuter as he has changed jobs and only lives ten miles fom his work.

My suggestion is that you stop being selfish. If you don't have a few spare bikes hanging around- how are you going to take your neighbour out for a ride just to show him what fun cycling can be- How are you going to get your relations to join you in your pastime if you don't have a spare bike to loan them- and how else are you going to get over this illness that seems to have afflicted you

jppe 04-05-10 12:56 PM

It is truly only a Canadian thing.

ddez 04-05-10 01:35 PM

Stepfam
Never looked at it that way. Food for thought.

jppe
Ill try not to stray over the border,could be infectious.

BluesDawg 04-05-10 01:46 PM

A brief respite. You'll soon be back with a vengance and you'll start thinking about new types of bikes for new types of riding. N+1 never goes away. It's just toying with you.

Velo Dog 04-05-10 08:21 PM

I posted a similar note on another forum a year or so ago: I've probably had 20 or 25 bikes (been riding since college, and I'm 65 now). I bought an Atlantis from Rivendell for my midlife crisis four or five years ago, set it up about halfway between the way Riv said it should be and what I thought would work for me, and in about 12,000 miles, the only thing I've changed is the saddle, from a Brooks Pro to a B-17. If I had a billion dollars, I can't think of anything I'd change on it.
But of course when I went by Rivendell last year and saw a used Rambouillet in my size for a great price, I snapped it up... I'm done now, though. Unless I get a recumbent.

Wogster 04-05-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ddez (Post 10626082)
Ive spent $1000s as most of us have,and gone through literally dozens of bikes and hundreds of bits and pieces(accessories)over the years,selling and or giving away and buying more always looking for that perfect bike or combination of bikes and never reaching that goal. We all call it N+1 dare i say sickness. Im down to 2 bikes and just recently realized im there,im not thinking about just one more accessory or bike. Everything ive set up on these 2 right down to the type of bells, is perfect for me. My mind is at rest so to speak.
So im wondering is this a mutation of the N+1 sickness or are there others out there who are perfectly satisfied,money no object, and have no desire to change a thing or add too the collection.
Im almost scared to ask. Id hate to be the only one with this new sickness. Maybe its old age setting in:eek:

What I think happens is that after a while you learn what does and doesn't work for you, so as generations of bikes go buy, you refine the process. Eventually you get to the point, where you pretty much have what you want. However your riding style doesn't always stay the same, so in a few months you may want to try something else abd the process begins again.

Allegheny Jet 04-05-10 08:35 PM

You probably don't have enough bikes. Take a tonic, there is hope for a cure.

'47 04-05-10 09:30 PM

25 years ago, before I was a cyclist, I was a runner. I sometimes miss the simplicity. The only "gear" I was concerned about then were shoes. I had a box where I'd unsentimentally throw them when they wore out (I was never a Shoe-Goo artist). As long as they fit well and I felt they were as protective as possible, I didn't think much about them. Performance was always an internal thing: attitude, preparation, diet, etc. Cycling equipment adds a huge dimension to what we do. So much seems to hang on Q-factor, tire width, butted spokes, etc. and always Bike Fit.........things external. Plus all the usual things internal.

I love cycling...but I sometimes miss the relative simplicity of running.

lhbernhardt 04-06-10 02:53 AM

This is why I just ride the fixed gear (or the 30-year-old tandem). I get a big kick out of keeping up with younger dudes who are on expensive carbon fiber frames with 11-speed shifting and fancy wheels - even dropping some of them on hills - on my steel bike with a fixed gear, ridden by a guy who will turn 60 later this year. From this, I have come to the conclusion that it truly isn't about the bike at all.

You don't need the latest fancy equipment to have a good ride! A 24-lb fixie is just fine for almost anything! (It's a True-Temper OX frame with couplers, which add some weiight.) I'd say equipment counts for about 1% of your performance, as long as it's working properly.

But having said that, my relationship with the bike has it constantly being upgraded. The latest upgrade was a set of carbon cranks. And I keep trying to find a carbon drop bar that has enough reach and depth plus a wing-shaped top. So I guess it's not so much N+1, but M version n (M.n). But any "improvements" are almost purely for cosmetics; they really don't make the bike go any faster or ride more comfortably (except maybe the saddle). So as long as you realize that, you can buy or not buy new bikes or equipment without deluding yourself.

"It's not the bike, it's the motor." Enhanced performance through equipment acquisition is illusory. Just ride what you've got; it is more than sufficient!

Luis

maddmaxx 04-06-10 03:06 AM

I do the same every now and again, only to come back later with a new plan. It's necessary to do other things sometimes......:eek:

BigBlueToe 04-06-10 10:11 AM

I have a similar problem. I got a $50 gift certificate to my local bike shop. I can't think of a thing to spend it on. All of my bikes are set up the way I want, there are no accessories I want that I don't have, I have plenty of bike clothes, etc. It's driving me crazy! Aargh. Luckily, the owner of the bike shop told me it will never expire. I can't imagine that my condition will last indefinitely. Hmmmmmm.......

dynodonn 04-06-10 10:33 AM

For me, there's always some maintenance item to buy, but as far as big ticket items, that pretty much has slowed down somewhat. Though I just bought a new lower end bike that I liked for commuting, but I already had a large amount of accessories/components to transfer from another bike keeping the costs down considerably. As in another post, I keep my older bikes, which are still in good enough shape for light duty use, in order for others to ride when out on family/group rides.

Whenever my cycling expenses go into the doldrums, I just take that extra money to make household improvements, which I can quickly shift back when my cycling expenses pick back up.

ddez 04-07-10 11:54 AM

Was at bike store today and saw a Lezyne mini pump,man is that thing pretty.:love: Thinking if i cant get it outa my mind in next few days, i will have to have it. Probably should just put it on my coffee table, too pretty to use.
Must be getting back to what we call normal.:D

Shp4man 04-07-10 04:43 PM

Forgive me for being a newbie, but what does N+1 stand for? I'm learning many new terms on this forum. For example: To "drew" a bicycle means removing the braze-ons and derailleur hanger from a desirable old lugged steel frame to make a fixie. Learned that one over in the C+V forum. It took me a week to figure out what the "FOO" forum was. ;)

tntyz 04-07-10 06:31 PM

For me, getting a case of N+1-itis has always been a sign that I'm beginning to lose interest in an activity. Maybe it's un-American, but I've been really happy with my gear for the last few years.

BengeBoy 04-07-10 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shp4man (Post 10638246)
s N+1 stand for?

"N+1" helps you answer the question, "How many bicycles should a person own?"

The answer is always "N" (the number you own today), plus 1.

Clear sign of illness when that is not your answer. BTW, so far this year, I am N-1. I'm getting rid of bikes so I can "re-load."

(Edit - this post just forced me to count what I've done the past 3 years. Started with one bike, bought 6, sold three. That leaves me w/4, I am likely to go down to 2 or 3, maybe add back one. Craigslist made me do it.)

LAriverRat 04-07-10 06:58 PM

N+70, yes i have a lead about a guy who has 70 bikes plus parts and tools who wants to sell all for ONLY $900. My wife would kick me out i think. Where would i put them all?( bike shipping boxes, break down each bike, pack it and store on racks). I only have 7 now.

gash44 04-07-10 07:46 PM

I use to think that there was something wrong with me as the bikes built up and all the parts I have hanging around tires, tubes, pedals, brake pads, water bottle cages and water bottles, helmets, pumps. Then one day I realized I was just fine and that there was nothing wrong. Boy was that a load off my mind. Hang in there you will realize this one day also. :D

oilman_15106 04-07-10 09:37 PM

Get that $5 subscription to Bicycling Magazine. I am sure all those ads for all that new, better than ever stuff will cure you!

'47 04-07-10 10:23 PM

Fellow Consumeratons.................If we don't continue to buy, then the cycling industry can't continue to engineer some of its planned obsolescence. The result might be that before I die I won't get to shift across 20-some cogs with a butt-to-seat activated neuron shifting system.

Husband, Parent, American, and.....VeloBuyer.

billydonn 04-08-10 12:18 AM

Veloacquirophobia.... pure and simple. Intervention team is on the way to your area.