Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

pedalhard

Something I have noticed since turning 50 last year

What I have noticed is this I actually get tired now, I have always been an active person in my job Chef and in my training was always able to push it to the limit and more. But now starting I guess around 49 I noticed really hard days at work followed by a ride or the gym leave me fryed, not use to this. My first reaction was to push harder but now see this is not working as after a day say of hill repeats I am finished for 1 or 2 days. Can still ride as hard as ever just I now feel it the next day more, I guess rest days are just part of getting older?

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hit me like that in my early 40s. I didn't take it well at all, psychologically. I knew I had to cut some activities out, but I didn't know what. Fortunately, I have no financial responsibilities to anyone other than myself, so I left full-time work and now work three-quarter time--one half-time job and a second quarter-time one. I still need one full day of rest a week, but that's easy to get with a four-day work week.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the growing older and stronger thread. Interesting take on the same subject.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    Read the growing older and stronger thread. Interesting take on the same subject.
    Oh, I keep working at cycling and get a little stronger and a little faster all every year. That doesn't change the fact that I absolutely, positively must have a rest day every week, nor that on any given day, working five hours feels a lot better than working eight or ten.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in the fried club - and allergy season makes it doubly hard... I've just hit 60 'n just a really hard day at work knocks me down - I really admire tsl's solution, but then, I have a 12-year-old, so my approach will be to re-engineer my job to make the stressors not lead to my stress... we'll see how that goes. I find it harder to maintain my motivation with exercise - I wonder if endorphin responses decrease after 50 - and my tendons and cartilige surely are not as resilient.
    All that said, fried or not, I still feel better after the evening commute back home than if I take the bus. I look back with nostalgia to my regular 18-mile (one-way) commute when I was in my late thirties... now I feel that I'd have to quit my job & move to a more bike-friendly place to get back into any kind of biking shape.
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an alternative to being perpetually tired? Whoa, who'ld a thunk?

My wife can't work. My kids are still in school. My pay is and has been decreasing. I need to work. I've just resigned myself to being tired and fried and I just keep trudging along.

The twins will be college seniors next year and they've been informed that they will be entirely responsible for their own finances from that point foreward, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it's not a train.

Retirement won't be too long after their graduations and that will bring an end to the rotating shift work and a change to a low pressure job with minimal responsibilities and the ability to quit if I don't like the job or the people. That should resolve the worn out feeling a bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love doing the long climbing rides, say 8-10K feet in 80-100 miles or chasing a group of younger, fitter, lighter riders around. A slacker and a little overweight, this has always been tough but rewarding.
    Recently for the first time I have been questioning my ability to keep doing these rides with faster people. I'm 56 in 2 weeks and I am wiped out after some of the rides. I can't really ask the others to slow down for me, can I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll hit 58 in 2 weeks and I agree with everyones observation. If you ride everyday, it will take a toll on you. In my case I ride every other day and cover more distance compared to daily cycling schedule. The rest day in between ride makes a big difference, unless you commute everyday.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sure sign of getting old is that you start waxing poetic about a great nap you've had.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Chef, you are probably way ahead of us on the nutrition issue. I have been trying to draw some wisdom from a quote that after 50 your need for nutrition increases, but your need for calories decreases. Staying on top of the nutrition game helps a ton. No white sugar helps recovery per Steve Nash.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find I need to rest more, not in terms of hours in a night of sleep, but time off, and time off the bike. Riding more than a few days in a row really wears me out, if I can force myself to ride no ore than 2 or three days in a row I feel much better.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err . . .

I hate to tell you -- but when you reach 70 . . . . . . . . . .
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 56, I generally feel better than I did six years ago. I attribute it to going to six days/week of exercise (a la Younger Next Year), but I guess it could be a placebo effect.

BUT -- once in a while, I am totally wiped out at the end of the day. Sometimes it is a day on which I didn't exercise. I haven't figured out what causes that.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

pedalhard
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    As a Chef, you are probably way ahead of us on the nutrition issue. I have been trying to draw some wisdom from a quote that after 50 your need for nutrition increases, but your need for calories decreases. Staying on top of the nutrition game helps a ton. No white sugar helps recovery per Steve Nash.
    Yes as a Chef and someone who has an intrest in healthy eating , my diet is not the problem, I did increase my protein intake after ride a bit for recovery and have alway eaten lots of fruit and veggies not much meat and no red meat. I see that getting older just means more recovery after hard rides and it really was a shock for me as I had never felt that before, oh well nothing to worry about, I wiill just enjoy the fact I still ride and workout.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recovery time increases with age as the body's reserve is not what it once was. More attention to appropriate rest is in order. I've experienced the same thing you describe, a full day of work, a ride and then tired. However, I've found that if I take a full rest day each week and a short "cat nap" of 20 minutes on other days, I'm good to go the rest of the evening.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off the bike for a week or so because of head surgery, but last week I took advantage of the great weather by riding 8 days in a row. That's the longest stretch without a break since last summer. 4 of those days were pretty long and hard, and I felt pretty fried afterwards. But I never seemed to recover very much even after easy days when all I did was commute 15 miles to work. I just don't seem to have the resilience I used to have. Now I don't seem to really recover unless I take a day or two completely off. That sucks I must say.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait tell you can't get a full nights sleep because the bladder refuses to ride through the night...
    I think as we get older not only do we need more recovery time but the quality of our sleep is less such that we are loosing on both ends.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice it when I realize I don't rest as much as I used to... or so it seems. Sleep doesn't seem to do as much for me as it used to, so i find more days start with bleary eyes. But I still feel better on days I ride than on days I don't. About one day a month off the bike would be about right for me.

I don't do the miles that a lot of you talk about, because the fat-tired monster I ride won't allow me to do it, either in average speed or distance. But there's a crazy amount of workout involved in the fewer miles I do.

I've also noticed that a full vacation doesn't work for me anymore, either; takes too long to come around, and I actually get bored with it! So I've gone to 'extended weekends' -- 4-5 days max, every few months -- and I seem to get rejuvenated more completely.

You can't always do what you used to do; there are adjustments that just HAVE to be made. But the feedback can be much the same if you do it right.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I love doing the long climbing rides. Recently for the first time I have been questioning my ability to keep doing these rides with faster people.
    Don't worry about it big john,

I'm older and slower that you are, so is Vertical Bob, and we just keep going! You can too. The others will wait for us at Dawson Saddle . . . or Wrightwood.

Rick / OCRR

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 62 I found that riding every other day works well for me, but the vast majority of my rides are hilly!
    Due to the rainy weather lately I have been riding my mountain bike up Mt Diablo (3849 feet)
    where there is no mud and it helps me a great deal with road riding as well!

Also I have had to deal with hypothyroidism that can sometimes be part of aging but I make sure to take the
    right amount of medicine otherwise one gets tired easily and associated with the other symptoms is no fun to ride!

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the chef's perspective. Most chefs I have known are incredibly creative in preparing wonderful dining experiences. But, most of them didn't practice good personal diet choices.

Pedalhard, congratulations on your diet and exercise disciplines. Evidence is in your signature line.
    Please go ahead and plug your restaurant???