Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2nd Ride on the recumbent tandem

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 06:08 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

Mrs. Grouch and I went out again yesterday. Didn't ride very far but it was at least a couple of miles farther than last week. We were a little faster too. Made some stops to adjust the ergonomics and I feel like I'm gradually getting that dialed in. Our first couple of starts, when we were fresh, weren't too bad but the last couple were pretty ugly.

I didn't feel too tired at the end but I was definitely ready for a nap when we got home. We're developing different muscles so our legs definitely feel tired before our breathing gets labored. I'm hopeing for "double dip" improvement - developing better technique at the same time that our fitness level is returning.

This is turning into a bigger project than I anticipated. I really thought that a couple of 10 mile rides and we'd be good.
Old 04-18-10, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No need to encourage you to keep at it as it's obvious that you are seriously working at getting in shape for the June ride.

I find that the higher BB on the Volae works the backs of my thighs a lot. That's where I feel it the most each year as I re-accustom myself to the bike.

The lower BB's on the LWB Tour Easy and EZ Sport seem to work the same muscles as my DF's do.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.

I often wonder if a recumbent indoor trainer would save me the sore muscles come spring time. The only muscles that I loose strength of during the winter are the back of my thighs.
Old 04-18-10, 06:21 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure it won't take too long to conquer this thing

I noticed a big difference in muscles used when riding the recumbent bike at the gym this winter. I also noticed it aggravated my lower back. I tried switching positions, etc and nothing helped. I doubt there will be a bent in my future anytime soon.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-18-10, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know you already ride a Tandem but remember that the team has to get together. You are both new to recumbents so both of you are learning new techniques. You are in for a few troubled rides till the body gets adjusted- but hopefully it won't be long before all 3 of you get together and start wondering what a learning curve was.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-18-10, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I know you already ride a Tandem but remember that the team has to get together. You are both new to recumbents so both of you are learning new techniques. You are in for a few troubled rides till the body gets adjusted- but hopefully it won't be long before all 3 of you get together and start wondering what a learning curve was.
I think that you're exactly right.

Mrs. Grouch and I had a conversation today about our starting technique. With our conventional tandem we always both pushed off with our left feet. The recumbent sometimes gets a little too wobbly before we're able to get our left foot pedaling. We decided to try the "proper method" with Mrs. Grouch completely clipped in next time. We'll see how it goes. Once we got going our second ride was a LOT steadier than the first one. We still haven't tried any hills yet. I think that I'll try some short hills around the neighborhood with my single recumbent tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 04-18-10, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I'm sure it won't take too long to conquer this thing

I noticed a big difference in muscles used when riding the recumbent bike at the gym this winter. I also noticed it aggravated my lower back. I tried switching positions, etc and nothing helped. I doubt there will be a bent in my future anytime soon.
I wouln't judge all recumbent seats by the ones they put on health club models. I'm sure they are deliderately designed so the average person can't stand more than 20 minutes on the thing, so you'll get off and let the next victim on.
Old 04-18-10, 06:49 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
It took me many weeks (months?) to really get used to riding my first bent four years ago. That varies by person - I'm a slow learner.
What's working in your favor on the tandem is that you have many years experience as a tandem team. It's just some of the details that will take a while to become routine. I'm still working on uphill starts from stop on my LWB bike, which I've been riding since late October. My starts look better than they feel, I hope.
Old 04-19-10, 03:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding this past Saturday I approached a tandem recumbent and told the leader he was cheating.
It looked pretty weird to me but I know they were having less a hassle in the strong winds we had that day.
Different strokes I guess. They looked happy, well he did I didn't really get a chance to see the trailer because we passed each other pretty fast.
Old 04-19-10, 09:56 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think that you're exactly right.

Mrs. Grouch and I had a conversation today about our starting technique. With our conventional tandem we always both pushed off with our left feet. The recumbent sometimes gets a little too wobbly before we're able to get our left foot pedaling. We decided to try the "proper method" with Mrs. Grouch completely clipped in next time. We'll see how it goes. Once we got going our second ride was a LOT steadier than the first one. We still haven't tried any hills yet. I think that I'll try some short hills around the neighborhood with my single recumbent tomorrow and see how it goes.
Our EZ Tandem is not a fair comparison to your Screamer as our BB's are lower than yours are, but you have described our launch sequence to a "T". We use platform style pedals so there's no 'clipping in'. The bride starts with both feet on the pedals and rotates the cranks to the point that I can apply power with my dominant leg, leaving my less powerful leg to maintain balance until we start. My strong leg and her two legs get us off to a decent start everytime, and a half revolution of the cranks is sufficient to bring my other foot up and find the pedal.

We developed this method on our Burley due to her physical difficulties and it's worked well for us.

This method should work even beter for you. With the Independent Pedaling System on your Screamer you can both apply power with your dominant leg on the launch.