Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bifocal Sunglasses Update

Broke my bifocal sunglasses and decided this time to replace them with riding sunglasses that are optically correct when in a riding position. Down side was the missing bifocal. So I went to one of our forums favorite sites: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

I found you can convert your sunglasses into bifocals by getting Optx 20/20 Stick-on Bifocals. So hopefully by next weekend I will have some bifocal riding sunglasses.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with those.
    For my sports specific prescription eye wear I use SportRX
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried some stick ons and never had much luck with them. I like the "fishing" glasses from www.boomersintheknow.com They are UGLY, but they are polarized, and that really help in early morning rides into the east. The bifocal part is not polarized, so there is no distortion on you speedo screen. The have several other bifocal and reading sunglasses so you may find a pair you like. I got a pair of amber for dark or cloudy days, but I don't really use them much. Here in Fla we don't get a lot of overcast days. It's mostly sunny, and then it rains for 20 min.

I also have another pair from some company in GA. They are bifocal safety glasses that are issued by my brother in laws company. They are not polarized, but they are better looking, and the bifocal part is not as obvious. When we visit them this summer I'm going to get another pair or two, and jot down the company's name and address.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Marin Stelvio Ultegra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Bi Focal contact lenses that I use for Cycling and Golf. They work great I can read my computer with no problems and distance vision is great. Of course this allows me to use any regular suglasses.

My Bikes
    Trek 4.5 and an old pristine Miyata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, finally something I can bring to the party...

I have used the stick on bifocals...they are a great idea that doesn't work. I have tried them 3 different times over the last years and each time I have learned that they have not improved.

HOWEVER, I have also tried inexpensive bifocal sunglasses. They are available for around $25. They are excellent. I wear them on every bike ride so I can see ahead - clearly, and look down and read my computer. They work - great. I have also bought bifocal safety sunglasses that work well as well. I purchased my bifocal readers from Ritzyreaders.com. I found them on the sport section of the site. I have also recently seen bifocal sunglasses made by Maui Jim which go for about $200.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess I get a chance to confirm your findings. Was it Optx 20/20 stick ons?

My Bikes
    Trek 4.5 and an old pristine Miyata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomamueller View Post
    Well I guess I get a chance to confirm your findings. Was it Optx 20/20 stick ons?
    yup

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Optx stick-ons and they work great for me. I actually only put a single stick-on in the right lens. That leaves the left lens completely clear for distance, and when I look down I guess I just use the right eye. I have no trouble with double-vision or blurriness or anything like that.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with bifocal safety glasses like these on eBay. Item 200468129906 Dirt cheep and work well. Go to the local drug store and test their reading glassed to get the right power at around 12 to 18 inches and you'll be in business. I really like the close fit to keep the sun from getting in over the top, and they stay put. I can read the trip computer and fix a flat and all for less than $15.

Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sdean, I like the look so I ordered a pair. I could always use them in the car or them as a back up to the riding glasses. I subscribe to Specialized optically correct vision in the riding position. This can be issue on normal glasses.

My Bikes
    Mongoose passed on to my son, Miyata, Tailwind, V-Rex, De Rosa, Safari, just added a Bike Friday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good success with the stick on bifocal things. I have them on several sets of sun glasses - riding and driving; and on a pair of safety glasses. I trimmed some of them to a smaller field of view and to fit fancy glasses shape. Tried the bifocal contact lenses in the past and didn't like them - not long enough or short enough. I've since got implants (cataract surgery) nearly corrected to 20/20 so I can use non-prescription sunglasses in the daytime. #

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I subscribe to Specialized optically correct vision in the riding position. This can be issue on normal glasses.
    What does this mean?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... So I went to one of our forums favorite sites: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

TM, I went there and did a search for bifocal and ended up ordering 5 pr, 4 of the sunglasses, and one clear. For $6 ea I figure I can't go too far wrong. I'll put one pair in each car, have two for riding, and keep the clear ones for the workbench. Thanks for the headsup, and hope they workout. BT
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sdean, I like the look so I ordered a pair. I could always use them in the car or them as a back up to the riding glasses. I subscribe to Specialized optically correct vision in the riding position. This can be issue on normal glasses.
    I hope those are the right power for you. As I said I went to the drug store and tested a number of reading glasses in order to get it right at about arms length.

Take care, Greg

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix pro / Specialized Stumpjumper xtr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post. Going to look into them. (What's the cost of the stick on ones?)
    Ant
    2008 trek 7200
    2010 STUMPJUMPER FSR elite
    2007 yamaha rhino for the trails
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    Good post. Going to look into them. (What's the cost of the stick on ones?)
    Ant
    $9.95. So I see you are just around the corner. Do you ride with Action Wheels?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix pro / Specialized Stumpjumper xtr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I just started. Ride with the D class and C class now and then. Do u ride with them?
    Ant
    2008 trek 7200
    2010 STUMPJUMPER FSR elite
    2007 yamaha rhino for the trails
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use clip-on polarized sunglasses over my regular bifocals.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the stick-ons for a while. Sometimes it can take several tries to get them to stay on, but they eventually work well. But, ever since I tried the $8 Elvex safety glasses, I haven't ridden with anything else, except at night when I ride with my regular Elvex safety glasses, which I also wear at work.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sdean +1 for that recommendation. They stay in my car. The stick ons the jury is out. They stay on but are too big and thick. But I really like the Specialized Sunglasses. Really clear and very comfortable. Until you try them I can't explain further.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sdean +1 for that recommendation. They stay in my car. The stick ons the jury is out. They stay on but are too big and thick. But I really like the Specialized Sunglasses. Really clear and very comfortable. Until you try them I can't explain further.
    You can use scissors to make the stick-ons any size you want.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the 5 pair of the bifocals in the mail the other day. Took 2 days to arrive. Used them over the weekend (1 pair anyway) They are great. Very light weight and they don't slip off my nose when I'm sweating and hammering. I did notice that they are very close to the face and there is not a lot of ventilation. That's ok in the am when it's cool, but when it's hot it got a bit warm. I just pulled them away from my face by a silly millimeter or so it was fine. They stayed put.

I got one pair for riding and a spare. I also put one pair in each car.

I got one clear set and I'll use them at night and in the workshop. Look forward to getting some other styles soon.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Got the 5 pair of the bifocals in the mail the other day. Took 2 days to arrive. Used them over the weekend (1 pair anyway) They are great. Very light weight and they don't slip off my nose when I'm sweating and hammering. I did notice that they are very close to the face and there is not a lot of ventilation. That's ok in the am when it's cool, but when it's hot it got a bit warm. I just pulled them away from my face by a silly millimeter or so it was fine. They stayed put.

I got one pair for riding and a spare. I also put one pair in each car.

I got one clear set and I'll use them at night and in the workshop. Look forward to getting some other styles soon.
    You are right on several accounts. They arrive quickly w/o premium shipping and they don't fall off. Actually would make a good pair of sport sunglasses.

I too will order extras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    You can use scissors to make the stick-ons any size you want.
    I will give that one a try too. Thanks.