Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-10, 04:05 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
The Prince Climbed Mt Mitchell

I'm not doing the Assault on Mt Mitchell this year but still climbed it today. I'm in the mtns with family and was within riding distance so went for it. It was the Prince's first trip up and I really had to work to hold it back (humor).

Seriously, not only a great climbing bike but descends like a dream with the Fulcrum Zero wheels. A number of others were also doing the climb getting ready for next week's event.

Today's ride was a little under 80 miles with most of it on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Total climbing was around 8000 ft with the Hwy 80 climb tossed in "for fun".

Weather was good but awfully humid-had to "race" back from Mitchell to stay ahead of the Tstorms-just loosened the reins on the Prince and only felt a few drops of precip.

Enjoying a Corona Light post ride!
Old 05-15-10, 07:01 PM   #2
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a great day !

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 07:17 AM   #3
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I really like the Fulcrum wheels that came with my new bike, but they are the cheap ones. I was thinking about trying the Fulcrum 3 out, I have the 7 on my bike and they are pretty heavy.
Old 05-16-10, 07:40 AM   #4
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post

I prefer Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friend.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:51 AM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
A great ride on a great bike followed by beer-flavored water.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 07:15 PM   #6
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quote:
favorite beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
I prefer Dos Equis.
favorite jersey

kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 07:35 PM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
I've always considered Corona to be Mexican Koolaid. I hate to even think what Corona Light would be like.
Old 05-17-10, 07:43 PM   #8
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I've always considered Corona to be Mexican Koolaid. I hate to even think what Corona Light would be like.
Ouch!
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 08:27 PM   #9
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Old 05-18-10, 10:51 AM   #10
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds like a great, but tough ride jppe. Congrats on a job well done. Drink whatever makes you happy!

I rode the fall Cycle NC Mountains to the Coast tour last fall and have a better appreciation now of what it takes to ride those mountains.

Mark
FL_MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 11:15 AM   #11
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0
great ride jppe. enjoy the beer! you've earned it.
bikegeek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 10:27 PM   #12
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
IMG_6224..jpgIMG_6227..jpgIMG_6214..jpg

Not a single picture? I was up there last July and the weather changed a lot near the summit. I am waiting for them to hold the Escape from Mt. Mitchell!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 08:00 AM   #13
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Attachment 152049Attachment 152050Attachment 152051

Not a single picture? I was up there last July and the weather changed a lot near the summit. I am waiting for them to hold the Escape from Mt. Mitchell!
In my haste to leave the cabin I forgot my camera.........I thought about using my cell phone camera but clouds were really rolling in and I was worried about staying in front of any Tstroms. They can get rather nasty up there!

I was thinking--there are companies that do "rides down a mountain" like Haleakala in Maui. Wondering if a ride down Mt Mitchell might work. Probably best to head back towards Asheville instead of Marion though. There is a good 2 mile climb back up the BRP going to Marion which would not be suitable for the general public. Probably require too much red tape with the Parks folks???
Old 05-23-10, 10:48 PM   #14
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
In my haste to leave the cabin I forgot my camera.........I thought about using my cell phone camera but clouds were really rolling in and I was worried about staying in front of any Tstroms. They can get rather nasty up there!

I was thinking--there are companies that do "rides down a mountain" like Haleakala in Maui. Wondering if a ride down Mt Mitchell might work. Probably best to head back towards Asheville instead of Marion though. There is a good 2 mile climb back up the BRP going to Marion which would not be suitable for the general public. Probably require too much red tape with the Parks folks???
My plan last summer was to have friends (staying with them in Asheville a couple days) drop me at the top of MM and ride back down to Asheville. Not sporting by standards of veteran NC climbers, I know... but it would have been a challenge and fun by my standards and would allow me to get comfortable with the area. Well it, never happened. I had said friends drive me up there from Asheville to scope out the place and I came away kind of afraid of the BRP actually. There seemed to be too many blind curves with absolutely no shoulder and people driving faster than they are supposed to, especially down by Asheville where the road is used by commuters in a hurry and not just casual pleasure drivers. It might be safer riding in a group but I did not feel comfortable riding on the BRP alone in the Asheville area.

The guy who drove me up MM may have made my apprehensions worse. He just had to show off his new Beemer and drove way too fast up and back down the BRP, making me feel that HE was a prime example of a driver who would be a very real danger to a cyclist. Or perhaps it was just a case of "strangeplaceitis". Oh well, there will be other opportunities... it is a really lovely area.

I did enjoy some nice road rides in East TN on the trip though!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 07:48 AM   #15
jppe
Let's do a Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
My plan last summer was to have friends (staying with them in Asheville a couple days) drop me at the top of MM and ride back down to Asheville. Not sporting by standards of veteran NC climbers, I know... but it would have been a challenge and fun by my standards and would allow me to get comfortable with the area. Well it, never happened. I had said friends drive me up there from Asheville to scope out the place and I came away kind of afraid of the BRP actually. There seemed to be too many blind curves with absolutely no shoulder and people driving faster than they are supposed to, especially down by Asheville where the road is used by commuters in a hurry and not just casual pleasure drivers. It might be safer riding in a group but I did not feel comfortable riding on the BRP alone in the Asheville area.

The guy who drove me up MM may have made my apprehensions worse. He just had to show off his new Beemer and drove way too fast up and back down the BRP, making me feel that HE was a prime example of a driver who would be a very real danger to a cyclist. Or perhaps it was just a case of "strangeplaceitis". Oh well, there will be other opportunities... it is a really lovely area.

I did enjoy some nice road rides in East TN on the trip though!
Your observations were probably correct of the BRP near the bottom of the climb/descent near and in and around Asheville. Traffic can be rather heavy and folks seem to be in a hurry in the area over Hwy 74, Hwy 25, etc. In lieu of going that far, there is the Blue Ridge Crafts Center that is an excellent jumping off place before you get to the heavy traffic area. Had you started at the top of Mitchell, you really would not have had to worry about traffic passing you very much coming down from there-except for a spot or two. It's a pretty nice downhill run for several miles. I've down some up and backs from my sister in law's house and it's around 80 miles up and back as I recall. The return trip takes a lot less time that trip out!! I have not ridden it in a year or so and the pavement was pretty rough then-don't know if they've patched up some of the spots but it would jolt you enough to loosen a filling or two.