User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need new bike rack....Yakima Holdup?

I recently replaced my old bike hauler with a new one and now I'm looking to change the bike rack. I want something that holds 2-4 bikes and is easy to load.

I currently have a Hollywood that carries 3 bikes. It's okay but loading the mountain bike or touring bikes is hard and putting my daughter's Townie on the back is horrible. The road bike is light and loading is no problem. The Hollywood is also a 1 1/4" and the receiver is 2" which causes more sway than I'm comfortable with even with locks. The old bike hauler had the 1 1/4" receiver and the rack still swayed more than I liked.

I'm looking at a Yakima holdup with the additional piece that would allow me to haul 4 bikes when necessary. It's closer to the ground so loading the heavier bikes would be easier. One of my concerns is whether the arm that locks the front wheel in place will accommodate a bike with fenders. I sent an email to Yakima last night but haven't received a reply yet.

I'm hoping others here have used this rack system and get their opinion of it.

Here's pics of the Yakimas and the Hollywood on my bike hauler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Robert Foster has that model and I've followed him with it loaded...works great. I think if you cover the fender with a diaper or similar type of cloth, you should have no problems with it. I just bought one as well, different brand, but it's a hitch type, top loading model and I love it. Mine has a single clamp over the bar though.

Edit: Here is the one I got. http://cgi.ebay.com/4-BIKE-WHEEL-CRA...item439f4770de
    Last edited by Metric Man; 05-17-10 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add link
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MM.

I found a local dealer who had one in stock. He also suggested I use some type of cloth to cover the fender. He didn't have the 2 bike extension in stock but he did have the 2" HoldUp and it's now on the back of my bike hauler. I love how it fits snugly in the receiver and folds up when not in use.....think I'm really going to like this one. No more lifting the heavy bikes up onto the old one

The installation was a little irritating as my largest socket was just a little too small for the hitch bolt. That meant a trip to Sears to purchase a larger socket....which led to the purchase of a larger socket wrench and socket extension as mine was too small for the new socket. Why does the simplest job turn into a major production

He ordered the extension for me and it should arrive long before I need it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith