Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Longer ride.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Longer ride.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 10:29 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Longer ride.

The winter has not been kind to me on the cycling front. Both the weather and a knee problem have curtailed my efforts not to lose fitness over the winter. Have done a few periodic 20 milers down to the seafront but even they have have been few and far between thanks to rain -cold and wind. Even mountain biking has not been too arduous due to the conditions.

But The last month has seen me out on the bike doing the 20 milers. Today and 7am and a brilliant sunny day. Wind was from the south and weak. Rain was expected later in the day so time for a few "Extra" Miles.

Short sleeve jersey time but it was still cool so on went the pertex to keep out the wind. Decided to ride East for about 25 miles- or untill I started to feel the effort and then go inland a bit to get a few slopes in. Perfectly flat out to the turn round point and a coffee. I felt good and the 25 miles were covered at 17mph- which shocked me as I don't normally ride at that speed even if it was a flat ride. When I stopped- I found out why. Tailwind of about 15 mph from the south west. I should have gone inland but decided that the slopes may get through to me so return trip to my Local seaside resort into the wind and I knew it was going to hurt. Longest time I have ever spent in the drops and after 48 miles my average had dropped down to 14.5mph. Time to get on the way home and that damn wind again. Only 10 miles but I called in at a Boot Fair where my daughter was selling a load of her "Junk" to innocent bystanders. Boot Fair is where you all congergate in a field after having driven there in your car and sell from the "Boot" of your car. You would normally call it a Trunk. Don't know if you have them over there but very popular over here.

So reckoned it out- 48 miles to Eastbourne- 10 miles home- so I needed a detour to ride my age. Nice easy one as I was getting tired by now so Up the local MUP to the next town up from where I live. It is apply named the Cuckoo Trail as I heard 3 on the way up but the last mile to the next town and I was about to bonk. Legs were aching but happily no problems from the knee. Stopped for another coffee and a slice of fruit cake and then downhill for the 5 miles home. Got home after 64 miles so ride your age achieved- just in time to watch the Grand Prix on TV. Switched on the box and set it to record as I knew what was going to happen. Don't tell me the result or how it happened as Next thing I knew was my wife and daughter creeping round me so as not to wake me.

So some good news- The knee is not causing a problem with cycling. Bad news is that I am nowhere as fit as I should be. 64 miles covered at an average of 13mph and I am not feeling that proud of it. Still it should give a bit of fitness to my usual first "Longer" ride in a couple of weeks. That will only be a 40 miler across the marshes that I try to do in 2 1/2 hours. Might not be possible this year as Banana man has been sponsored for this one.

P.S. on this- The knees ache- my back is stiff- my hands have a dull spot in them- but in view of my general lack of fitness- I am feeling happy. Or would be except that the Bike needs cleaning and I can't be bothered- That can wait till tomorrow.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-16-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-16-10, 05:35 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Sounds to me like you're back in the saddle. Way to go Stapfam.
Old 05-16-10, 05:54 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll get back in full glory soon. You put in a lot of miles and that in itself is a triumph, the speed will come back. I sure know the knee problems, I rely on the knee brace in early season to keep them from aching - I usually can discard them after a few months. Good luck - spring is here.
Old 05-16-10, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will soon be petitioning the new government to bring back global warming?
Old 05-16-10, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Good to hear you're getting things back on track, stapfam.

No injuries for me, but after hardly riding at all in '09 (my worst season ever), it's been touch and go for me this year. I'm slower than ever.