Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The N+1 Old New Mountain Roadster

I finally finished the Paramount except for maybe a new saddle. Much of the build came from parts I had laying around. I'm still not sure about the bar width either but here are a few pictures. While the Series Paramounts were by no means the top of line frame, I'm happy with the way it turned out. I did 20 on it yesterday and, except for adjusting the outer stop on the front DR, it worked fine. I did have to adjust the back wheel once as the axle weren't against the droput screws.

This is sort of test to see if I can get by with the double chainring. The truth is my knees simply need some very low gears for the hills around here. An 11-25 just doesn't work for me.

This was my first use of a compact crank and it seemed like it took a lot of trimming on the 34 tooth.

Here's the build.

'92 Series OS Paramount frame, almost mint, EBay find
    Headset - Shimano 600
    Crank - Shimano R700 34/50 compact
    Pedals - Shimano A-520
    Shifters - Ultegra 6510 NOS
    F/D - Ultegra 6500
    R/D - XT
    Cassette - XT 11-32 (shifts perfect with the Ultegra/XT)
    Chain - SRAM 951
    Brakes - Tiagra - new, couldn't bring myself to spend $100+ for Ultegra-note the internal top tube routing
    Hubs/Rims - Ultegra 660 w/ Mavic Open Pro formerly on a Fuji, then a Trek520
    Tires - 700x25 Gatorskins
    Stem - Velo Orange - 80 mm with Velo Orange 1" threaded x 1-1/8" threadless (This will probably be replaced by a Nitto stem in the future once I get the fit dialed in. However, it looks a lot better than I thought it would.)
    Handlebars - Nitto Noodle 177 in 48cm width (just had to try the really wide ones)
    Seat post - off of a Trek 520
    Saddle - Selle Italia that was on the tandem when I bought it.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 05-17-10 at 12:35 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent project -- a very interesting bike.

Great you could find some NOS Ultegra (9-speed) shifters -- I went on a similar search last fall for my commuter bike, and found some 9-speed 105's. My observation at the time was that these 9-speed Shimano shifter sets still fetch a lot of money on eBay. I guess lots of folks have the same idea -- they want a wide-range cassette in the rear but want to use STI's instead of bar-end shifters or downtube shifters.