Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commuting Maintenance.

First of all a neighbour came over with this "Thing" of a Mountain Bike he bought a couple of months ago. Cheap Claud Butler but for the price he paid for it- he got a good deal. He wants to use it for commuting the 5 miles to work. Couple of problems- A click on the crank----Could be B/B- pedals or loose cranks. And the steering is a bit springy. Cheap front suspension with no adjustment so he is stuck with it and the crank noise will have to be investigated. Then I ran through the bike- Rear wheel does not turn freely so Cone adjustment or Greasing needed- or both. Brakes definitely need adjustment and new blocks- Gears need adjusting and I don't like the look of the cables so they will need replacing for reliability. Reckon a few hours and he will have a respectable bike but it will cost him more in parts than he paid for the bike. I don't charge for labour as Neighbours have skills That I might need- This one is a Plumber.

Then my Son in law came round. He has started commuting the 10 miles to work and the weight is falling off him. He has the FCR1 that I bought as a possible commute for me and although he has good mechanical knowledge- he is not a bike mechanic. So check over the bike and Crank noise again. Tighten the pedals and the outboard bearings and noise still there so might be changing over to my spare Standard crankset for him. Then a check over- Chain needed cleaning so after that he had to clean the bike. Chain is still not worn so no worry there---Yet. Check tyres and a hole in the carcase on the rear. Didn't like the look of it so so changed it to my last spare tyre. Took the tyre off and it is almost bald. It has only done about 500 miles- but that is the difference beween a 150lbs rider and a 185 lb one. I get at least 2,000 miles out of Michelins but have to admit that these are Lithions- not my favourite tyre at all.

Then a test ride on the FCR. Found the crank noise--Front derailler cable hitting the crank. The bike rides well- well it should do as it has all the right bits on it- but for me the frame is a bit heavy.

Problem is- It fits me perfectly. Saddle height- position fore and aft and the only difference is bar height. He has the bars level with the saddle now and I have mine 4" below the saddle. The Problem???????-- I can see that one morning he is going to go out for his commute and find a problem with the bike. He is only round the corner and if I fit his bike- he will fit mine. I had better keep Boreas under lock and key in the shed and make certain that it is not borrowed one morning. Because if he borrows it for one morning- I might not get it back.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    First of all a neighbour came over with this "Thing" of a Mountain Bike he bought a couple of months ago. Cheap Claud Butler but for the price he paid for it- he got a good deal. He wants to use it for commuting the 5 miles to work. Couple of problems- A click on the crank----Could be B/B- pedals or loose cranks. And the steering is a bit springy. Cheap front suspension with no adjustment so he is stuck with it and the crank noise will have to be investigated. Then I ran through the bike- Rear wheel does not turn freely so Cone adjustment or Greasing needed- or both. Brakes definitely need adjustment and new blocks- Gears need adjusting and I don't like the look of the cables so they will need replacing for reliability. Reckon a few hours and he will have a respectable bike but it will cost him more in parts than he paid for the bike. I don't charge for labour as Neighbours have skills That I might need- This one is a Plumber.

Then my Son in law came round. He has started commuting the 10 miles to work and the weight is falling off him. He has the FCR1 that I bought as a possible commute for me and although he has good mechanical knowledge- he is not a bike mechanic. So check over the bike and Crank noise again. Tighten the pedals and the outboard bearings and noise still there so might be changing over to my spare Standard crankset for him. Then a check over- Chain needed cleaning so after that he had to clean the bike. Chain is still not worn so no worry there---Yet. Check tyres and a hole in the carcase on the rear. Didn't like the look of it so so changed it to my last spare tyre. Took the tyre off and it is almost bald. It has only done about 500 miles- but that is the difference beween a 150lbs rider and a 185 lb one. I get at least 2,000 miles out of Michelins but have to admit that these are Lithions- not my favourite tyre at all.

Then a test ride on the FCR. Found the crank noise--Front derailler cable hitting the crank. The bike rides well- well it should do as it has all the right bits on it- but for me the frame is a bit heavy.

Problem is- It fits me perfectly. Saddle height- position fore and aft and the only difference is bar height. He has the bars level with the saddle now and I have mine 4" below the saddle. The Problem???????-- I can see that one morning he is going to go out for his commute and find a problem with the bike. He is only round the corner and if I fit his bike- he will fit mine. I had better keep Boreas under lock and key in the shed and make certain that it is not borrowed one morning. Because if he borrows it for one morning- I might not get it back.
    The neighbour, well, sometimes a really good price on a bike, is because it needs work. You should give him a list of the parts he needs, then take or send him to the bike shop. You can bet if you call him for a plumbing problem, you will get the same treatment, he will send you off for the parts, and then help you get them installed.

As for the son-in-law, get a nice length of security chain about 2m/6' should be plenty, a nice long U-bolt, some concrete mix and a good cut proof key padlock and an old innertube. You make a small hole in the floor of the garage by a wall and put the U bolt in so enough is above the floor that you can get the chain around, mix enough concrete to fill the hole. Now you have a nice place to secure your bike, the innertube goes over the chain to protect your frame, the chain goes through the bolt, through the front wheel, through the frame, through the back wheel, then the ends get padlocked together. You put the one key on your keyring, you hide the other key somewhere your other half will not find it. Nobody is taking your bike. Security chain can't be cut, by the hardware store, it is purchased in a single length. I always keep the bikes locked up, even in the garage, garages are not the most secure places.