Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-10, 06:23 PM   #1
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are they thinking.........

I have owned my Catrike Trail since last July and have put on 2300k, I ride as often as my wife lets me (ha, ha, but close to the truth). If you know the Trail and for that matter most trikes, they tend to ride lower than most bikes. I've been riding a trike 4+ yrs (1st trike was the RotatorC3). I've run across many people wanting to know all about the trike and I am happy to talk about it. While most ages love the trike concept, there's an age group(45-50ish) that seem to see the trike as some form of physically challenged vehicle(I don't know) but when I see them glance down then quickly look away, I feel sorry that they might never feel the freedom my trike gives me. This seems to be usual occurrence on the rides I take (road or trail). I'll be 57 in a few weeks and since I've been riding my trike I think I'm getting younger......hmmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1999-12-31 003 004..jpg (98.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 002..jpg (104.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1999-12-31 001 018..jpg (96.5 KB, 53 views)
Trikin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:33 PM   #2
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
I know nothing about trikes and don't think I have ever seen one. I would think it would be a good vehicle for touring, but don't know what advantages it might have over a recumbent bike. It must be heavier.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:34 PM   #3
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Looks cool enough, we don't discriminate here. Heck, some of our members have been known to ride a fixie
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:34 PM   #4
serra
Some guy with a bike

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Looks cool enough, we don't discriminate here. Heck, some of our members have been known to ride a fixie
GASP!
Cool looking bike by the way
serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:54 PM   #5
Terex

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikin' View Post
I have owned my Catrike Trail since last July and have put on 2300k, I ride as often as my wife lets me (ha, ha, but close to the truth). If you know the Trail and for that matter most trikes, they tend to ride lower than most bikes. I've been riding a trike 4+ yrs (1st trike was the RotatorC3). I've run across many people wanting to know all about the trike and I am happy to talk about it. While most ages love the trike concept, there's an age group(45-50ish) that seem to see the trike as some form of physically challenged vehicle(I don't know) but when I see them glance down then quickly look away, I feel sorry that they might never feel the freedom my trike gives me. This seems to be usual occurrence on the rides I take (road or trail). I'll be 57 in a few weeks and since I've been riding my trike I think I'm getting younger......hmmm
It's great that you enjoy riding your trike, but why would it give you any more (or even as much) "freedom" than regular bikes? If I were to consider a trike, here are my immediate thoughts.

It's unwieldy to handle compared to a diamond framed bike, or even most recumbents. You can't just throw it into, or on, most vehicles. You can't realistically take it with you on a plane.

I wouldn't be able to ride next to someone and chat, or ride in a paceline, or climb most of the hills around me. If I stop for coffee, I'd need a full parking spot. On narrow or busy roads, I'd be difficult to pass.

If the bridge is out - I couldn't pick up my trike and walk across. Even if the bridge is fully functional, I would not be able to cross using the narrow bike/pedestrian lanes.

I think that may be why people look askance when they see you riding. Most people would never consider riding something with so many limitations unless they had some physical infirmity that prevented them from riding a more traditional bike.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 07:17 PM   #6
JimT

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Elite, Trek FX7300 hybrid, Trek 6500 mtb
Yes, please elaborate on the "freedom" aspect and how it works for you. I don't want to miss out on something good here.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 07:40 PM   #7
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serra View Post
GASP!
Cool looking bike by the way
Trike.
Old 05-18-10, 07:43 PM   #8
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
It's great that you enjoy riding your trike, but why would it give you any more (or even as much) "freedom" than regular bikes? If I were to consider a trike, here are my immediate thoughts.

It's unwieldy to handle compared to a diamond framed bike, or even most recumbents. You can't just throw it into, or on, most vehicles. You can't realistically take it with you on a plane.

I wouldn't be able to ride next to someone and chat, or ride in a paceline, or climb most of the hills around me. If I stop for coffee, I'd need a full parking spot. On narrow or busy roads, I'd be difficult to pass.

If the bridge is out - I couldn't pick up my trike and walk across. Even if the bridge is fully functional, I would not be able to cross using the narrow bike/pedestrian lanes.

I think that may be why people look askance when they see you riding. Most people would never consider riding something with so many limitations unless they had some physical infirmity that prevented them from riding a more traditional bike.
Sly Stone: Different Strokes for Different Folks......
Old 05-18-10, 09:23 PM   #9
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
They race trikes ("barrows") in England. I understand they are very tricky to ride - most experienced 2-wheel riders will hop on a trike and start going around in circles the first time they need to turn. They can build them really light, so you can carry them over streams.
I've always thought a trike would be perfect in the winter, riding on snow and ice, except that you'd need some form of limited-slip differential so that you'd get drive from both back wheels. Otherwise, you're likely to be spinning the one driven wheel uselessly on the icy patch.
Anyway, good for you for adding some diversity to the cycling world. And yes, I have been known to ride a fixie on occasion...

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 09:57 PM   #10
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition
I have osteo-arthritis in my wrists and can't lean on the handle bars anymore, so the direct steer works for me, the mesh seat is the most comfortable for me so far, no saddle sores. My Trail weighs just 33lbs and is easy to lift into my pick-up truck bed, the width is 33in. about the width of your shoulders when riding a DF. I ride on some trails but the bulk of my riding is on the street, and the trike isnt ignored like most bikes are. I`m often asked how fast can it go, I can cruise at 20-25k on the flats and sure its a little slower on the hills but the downhills are a rush and I go as fast as I dare. The advantage over a recumbent bike is I have 3 wheels compared to 2 and never have to put my feet down if I don`t need to.
Trikin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 02:45 AM   #11
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Aggressor, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus
I would buy a trike except i havent found one for a 275 lb clyde.
Jamesw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 02:57 AM   #12
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I believe that the catrike trail as shown in the pic has 2 front wheels and only 1 driven rear wheel and that this should ease the worry over differentials. I'm told that they climb hills very well as they will travel at any speed you can pedal without falling over. The steering is indeed a bit tricky though.
Old 05-19-10, 04:20 AM   #13
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Nice Trike! I often ride my Tour Easy along with Trikers on group rides and see no dis-advantages to riding a trike except maybe transporting them via motor vehicle, and then only for those with small vehicles.

If I tire out on a hill and need to rest it's a bit trickier for me on two wheels than for those on three who just set the brake, lean back and relax a spell. The Trikes don't seem to have any balance issues at extremely slow speeds either.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 04:49 AM   #14
BritGuyNJ
Alan

Bikes: Trek 6700, Giant OCR C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
They race trikes ("barrows") in England. I understand they are very tricky to ride ...

Luis
They tend to look like this though, not low-profile at all:
BritGuyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 06:47 AM   #15
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Quote:
. . . seem to see the trike as some form of physically challenged vehicle(I don't know) but when I see them glance down then quickly look away, I feel sorry that they might never feel the freedom my trike gives me . . .
I think you are imagining a mental and emotional life that may have no particular correspondence with reality. You might, for example, observe that some people stare at you "as if something were wrong."

Good data is lacking, but trikes seem to be gaining an increasingly large market share.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:02 AM   #16
Terex

Bikes:
. . . seem to see the trike as some form of physically challenged vehicle(I don't know) but when I see them glance down then quickly look away, I feel sorry that they might never feel the freedom my trike gives me . . .

Quote:
I have osteo-arthritis in my wrists and can't lean on the handle bars anymore, so the direct steer works for me, ...
The vast majority people wouldn't consider a trike unless they have a physical limitation that makes riding a standard bicycle problematic. You have a physical limitation. Now go ride your trike and enjoy the freedom it affords you.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 12:11 PM   #17
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)

Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
Quote:

The ONLY thing that keeps the Mrs. and I off a "Touring Trike" is "COSTS", ouch, wayyyyyyyy out of our budgets, RATS! The second reason, we do live in a "3rd. floor" 1-bedroom apartment, which "two trikes" would suck up a lot of space and would be a bit of a load to get up and down the stairs Otherwise, we'd be joining in the FUN with ya!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 05-19-10 at 12:13 PM. Reason: change of wording
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 12:53 PM   #18
rdmjr

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terex View Post

Riding next to someone to chat isn't that big a deal; the trail I normally ride on is too busy for the DF's to do it too. Riding in a paceline probably wouldn't work, but I don't do that anyway, nor do I have any desire to. As far as parking goes, you're right - trikes do take up more room. Hill climbing isn't a problem; most trikes have really low gearing, and you can just stop and rest any time you need to. Starting off again's not a problem, just ease of the brakes as you apply pressure to the pedals and you're rolling again - no wobbling or zig-zagging, just slow, steady progress.

You might be surprised - my trike is only about 6" wider than I'd be on a regular bike anyway, but the perceived width tends to make drivers give you more room when they pass.

If the bridge is out - I can pick up my trike and walk across with it. It's not easy (with everything in the rack bag and the accessories, it's pushing 75 lbs), but it's possible. On the other hand, if the bridge is out, I probably wouldn't cross it no matter what I was riding

As far as the appearance goes, at the road crossings many more people will stop to let me cross than the DF's. So what if they think I'm in some sort of screwball wheelchair - I'd rather be across the road and zipping along the trail, instead of sitting there still waiting for the chance to cross!
- Bob

Last edited by rdmjr; 05-19-10 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added responses to Terex's first paragraph
rdmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 04:22 PM   #19
NOS88

Bikes:
Interesting observations. In my area I see five or six different riders per season on trikes (usually multiple times). I've always been somewhat amused that when I wave, nod my head, or say hello, I never get any response except eyes straight ahead on their part. It may be a mistake to try and imagine what others are thinking. So, I just keep moving on and greeting others I meet. I get similar reactions from some bent riders, and from some DF riders, and some tandem riders. I'd like to believe that what one is riding is less important than the fact that they are out riding.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've met a very strong young Cat 1 rider that I see on a weekly basis. He's always in full kit and riding very high end bikes. Yet, he smiles and waves to everyone he sees. When I first introduced myslef to him I commented on his "univeral" friendliness. His response was, "It's always good to make friends." A very smart young man IMHO.

Last edited by NOS88; 05-19-10 at 04:25 PM.
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote