Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour of California - disappointing.

Man - I thought that I was good-to-go. The tour starts at 4:00 St Louis time so I set my Tivo to record and watch is after I get home from work. What could possibly go wrong?

Tuesday the hockey game interfered. Phil Ligget dutifully narrated the action right up to the last kilometer or so when bicycling coverage was abruptly cut off in favor of, not the hockey game, but the hype prior to the hockey game. What a disappointment.

So tonight I sit down thinking that can't happen again - can it? Well, not exactly. This time it was my Tivo. The race ran long so I got to watch up until the last mile when my recording abruptly stopped.

Sigh!

My Bikes
    Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US TV coverage of the ride has not had much good luck! First the coverage got rained out, then the next day two hockey games did in the finish (don't know why the didn't start the ride earlier.
    Set Top Boxes like the Tivo and even worse the SA 8300HD have a mind of their own.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they'll replay today's stage here at 11 pm. Won't they be doing that in your time zone too?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cable has been out since Monday and I am off today waiting for them to fix it soooooo... no ToC for me so far except for the finish of stage 1.

Seriously thinking of getting Fios instead of Comcast. Things like this though I have a hard time pulling the trigger even knowing it is a good choice.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is that on Versus?

My Bikes
    Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's on Versus. Versus is the reformatted "Outdoor Life Network" and they do lots of Cycling, NHL Hockey and Indy/CART Auto Races. The remainder of the schedule is full of un-watchable programs like cage fighting, fishing, hunting and bull riding.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant believe that basketball hockey, baseball and all the other sports can run overtime and we come down to the last mile in a bicycle race and they drop it.
    George

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coverage aside, I'm really looking forward to Fridays Stage...it will be brutal!! It would take 4 hours to drive that in a car!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday's coverage was complete, I'll say that, even though the race wasn't very compelling.

OTOH, I read the minute by minute commentary out of London for the Giro, and it sounded like a stage for the ages. It apparently made for great viewing.

Oh well.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your Tivo is like my DVR, you can set the programmed recordings to always keep recording for extra time beyond the scheduled end. I have all my bike race recordings set to go 1/2 hour extra. That won't help counter brainless decisions on the part of Versus like Heidi Bowl II on Tuesday, but it would have saved you Wednesday. At least the replays are there as a backup plan.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are going up to Big Bear this evening (Thur.) to stay at our cabin near the lake so we'll be able to watch the ToCA stage finish in person.

Fri. morning we'll ride around the Lake, climb up to Onyx Summit (8,840 feet elevation), then descend into Big Bear City, walk around the Expo for awhile, then watch the race finish at Snow Summit. The climb the pros are doing will be much more brutal than our little bit!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sure is making me miss having the Tour de Georgia around every year. I wonder if we will ever have that level of racing in this area again.

Great to see DZ in yellow. If the leaders survive the Big Bear stage together, the time trial should be interesting with Zabriskie, Brown and Leiphiemer only a few seconds apart.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-20-10 at 01:38 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been following the AToC on http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/ . Who needs Versus!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
    I've been following the AToC on http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/ . Who needs Versus!
    If you are on are system that won't support video during the day, these are good to follow TOC

http://velonew.competitor.com/live/toc
    http://live.cyclingnews.com/?id=latest

Also if you haven't hear, Trek is announcing their Tri Speed Concept on Saturday.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Yes, it's on Versus. Versus is the reformatted "Outdoor Life Network" and they do lots of Cycling, NHL Hockey and Indy/CART Auto Races. The remainder of the schedule is full of un-watchable programs like cage fighting, fishing, hunting and bull riding.
    I know a few fishermen that would say the same about cycling, unwatchable.

I have watched bull riding and thought it not too bad to be honest.

To each his own I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Versus is much better at showing 2 guys bashing each others brains out.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or has the ToC been boring this year? None of the breakaways have worked, no one has mounted any bonsai charges that have amounted to anything, no high drama other than Lance's crash. It runs from 5-7 on the East Coast, so when I get home I lay down on the sofa, doze off a bit, and get lectured by my daughter about "why should we be watching a bunch of stupid people on bicycles?".

On the other hand, the bits and pieces I get on the Giro make it sound like mano a mano trench warfare. I wish I could watch that instead.

Still, given the choice between cycling and Inside Edition, I'll take cycling.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I think we can all agree to dislike VS/OLN a little bit somewhere in their programming, but when they don't turn the finishes of stages into hairballs, we get to see this cutie!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Is it just me or has the ToC been boring this year? None of the breakaways have worked, no one has mounted any bonsai charges that have amounted to anything, no high drama other than Lance's crash. It runs from 5-7 on the East Coast, so when I get home I lay down on the sofa, doze off a bit, and get lectured by my daughter about "why should we be watching a bunch of stupid people on bicycles?".

On the other hand, the bits and pieces I get on the Giro make it sound like mano a mano trench warfare. I wish I could watch that instead.

Still, given the choice between cycling and Inside Edition, I'll take cycling.
    I have been watching the Giro on Universal Sports at 8. Agree it has been so much more exciting. I do how ever like to see the rides in California. The members here who live there are lucky to have such nice riding.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ToC has been a lot of fun for us this year. The route was followed some of our favorite routes and Wednesday morning, we raced up Sierra Road ahead of the ToC. We had a nice lunch and watched the pros crest the top. Tuesday night, we attended a ToC party at Testarossa wnery and as part of VIP tickets hung out with Phil Liggett and Paul Shermen. They are great guys and story tellers. I have been watching both the ToC and Giro d"Italia.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Tuesday night, we attended a ToC party at Testosterone winery and as part of VIP tickets hung out with Phil Liggett and Paul Shermen.
    I knew it. You're all dopers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been watching both races on t.v. and yesterday I rode up into the mountains to watch the ToC go by. Today I'll probably go downtown to see the TT.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I have been watching both races on t.v. and yesterday I rode up into the mountains to watch the ToC go by. Today I'll probably go downtown to see the TT.

That stage was BRUTAL!!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I admit:

1) Tony Martin has gonads the size of cantaloupes.
    2) Sagan is a very impressive young rider. I hope he's clean. I hate to sound unpatriotic, but I think it would be cool if he won.
    Last edited by The Weak Link; 05-22-10 at 04:56 PM. Reason: wrong name

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what kind of bike is she riding?? Heee Heee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast