Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Success is close at hand!

Well here is the deal. I told my wife I could teach our 4 year old granddaughter to ride a bike without the use of training wheels. She said "Impossible" due to the fact that little Lily is not super coordinated. I bought her a run-bike where she mastered the art of balance. Then I rescued a 16 inch bike from someones trash(it had brand new tires and tubes). New seat and hand grips and pedals and a bit of cleaning. She has been working off and on for about a week on the "real" bike.

Last night she rode the length of the driveway without a crash and bailed out by going up a small hill into the yard. I have to say I was beaming.

Now if we can just get down the art of coaster brakes and dismounting we are ready to really ride.

I am really looking forward to getting out my Mt. bike and doing a short ride on the rail to trail once she is ready. My only dilemma is that I promised to take her to the LBS and buy her a Pink bike once she has mastered the beater bike. It will be money well spent.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work!

BTW, your post made it to the BF Facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/bikeforums?ref=ts
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work oilman I can remember when I taught my son to ride many many years ago it also brought a smile to my face. You will get another smile on your face when you get her the pink bike.
    Last edited by gash44; 05-20-10 at 07:52 PM.
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5
    2007 Lemond Versailles
    2006 Lemond Croix de fer
    1995 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 50 years on Lilly and still have trouble with coaster brakes .

I also don't know if this will help or hurt, but my wife rides a bright pink cruiser bike (with coaster brakes), and often gets comments, which she loves - she never gets whistles when driving a car!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know when my daughter finally got it I was jumping for joy (I have about 45 years on her). I had to take the pedals off the bike until she got her balance just rolling it around.Then when she was ready I put them back on and within two days she was riding around the block.

Now we ride together when I get home from work - we will ride to Starbucks and we will split a smoothie, then we ride home. She has some problems with the hills on a coaster bike. Her bike has a hand brake as well and she took to that quickly.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to Lily.

I learned to ride in 1947, training wheels hadn't even been invented yet. My learning took place on a gravel road.

I think I still have the scars.
    Last edited by Louis; 05-20-10 at 08:12 PM.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lily has a good grandfather!
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler