Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 potential - advice requested

OK, so good deals are often hard to come by, right? There's a LBS with an '09 Specialized Roubaix compact (NOT Comp model) on closeout. It's my size and I'm thinking about a test ride this weekend. Price has been dropped to just under $1600, which is better than list ($1900), but that's a lot more than I want to spend. Any suggestions for a reasonable counter-offer, provided I like it? I've read lots of great things about the Specialized carbon frames, and I'd like a comfortable platform for long rides. Thanks!

BTW, "N" is a 2005 Trek 1500 (aluminum frame) with triple crank.
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about the discount I got when I bought a leftover $1700 '06 bike at the end of the '07 model year.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd hit it.

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Offer $1300 with cash in hand and visible. It might work, might not. If it doesn't, the asking price ain't that bad.....
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really know how much you want to spend then stick to your budget. The price they are asking is reasonable for an end of season sale but this is the beginning of a new season (even though it is a year old it is still "new"). Tell them your max price and head for the door and don't look back if they don't agree.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, you are psychic! That's almost exactly what I was going to offer. How did you know?
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2011 model bikes will be appearing soon so I would be aggressive with what you offer for the bike. That is of course, it fits, and you like it.