Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gentle ride.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gentle ride.

Old 05-23-10, 03:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Gentle ride.

Todays ride was not a long one as We were taking out Pete- one of my neighbours that only started riding last Autumn and has not done many rides over the winter. We have got him up to 10 miles offroad on a flat trail but today was going to be 20 miles on the road. The bike we have loaned him is a Giant Trance- not ideal for the road but Don't think a change of bike to a road bike would have been kind to him today. "Some" of us kept our speed down to force him to go slow- but it would allow the hammerheads to show how "Macho" they are.

newrider..jpg

Met another rider that we have occasionally met and he joined us for about 6 miles. Another older rider and he invited us to his Cycle club meeting tomorrow. He bought his Colnago as a frame about 4 years ago on E-Bay for about 1/2 price and built it ups with Campy components. Surprising how easy it is to spot a quality bike when you see it.

The route we had planned was only a flat one but it has a couple of lumps in it. Two riders went for the first one and after making sure that someone was with Pete- I chased them. Got to within 50 yards by the top and caught them at the bottom of the down slope- just before the next lump. Halfway up and I passed one of them- he was breathing very hard and had gone. Sat behind the other one and he started to put the pressure in. I just upped the cadence to stay with him and as he flagged a bit- passed him.

Down to the cafe and the excuses started- My Boreas is so light I should have caught them on the first hill and the other one reckoned that low pressure in his tyres and grippy tyres did not help him. Now these two lumps are only 1/2 mile long each and about 8% and with my lack of riding over the winter- they should have lost me. Perhaps that ride that I overdid last week has had a better effect than thought it should have had. Or it could be that I had enough sense to let them wear themselves out so much on the first lump while I caught them on the downslope- and still had energy for the 2nd one----Experience will always work.

decent motor..jpg50+..jpg

Met one of the other regulars at the cafe and he said he had come down by Bike today. He normally comes in his classic Mercedes but decided to get some air round his body today. And sorry about the sacrilidge but no Pie today. I had eaten a full breakfast before I left so it was only a slice of fruit cake today.

By this time Pete was showing the effect of not training so Me and Ross took him home up the MUP. A few chances for Interval training and we showed him how its done. Slight slope and a clear trail and you sprint the last 200yards of the slope. Then you recover fully. After the 2nd one we could tell Pete was beginning to suffer so slow right down and just turn the pedals. We got him home with sore legs- a set of lungs that were beginning to burst and a Butt that did not sit on the saddle for the last 5 miles. Not certain if he enjoyed the ride but he said he wants to come out again shortly. Not next week but I think it will be back to offroading for a while. He found the few extra miles just a bit too much.

But that gentle ride did not do much to me today. I had the chance to put pressure in for a few slopes but nothing there to challenge me. But the object of today was Pete. He enjoyed the ride but also realises that road riding can be hard. The mad fool want to go offroad again next time. Problem is that if you say that to our group you will regret it. I may be the roadie that does some offroad but the rest of them are offroaders that sometimes ride on the road. Wonder how a novice will tackle a 1 mile 15% climb as the easy route to the hills????

Spike Milligan
Old 05-23-10, 03:48 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great post. It's amazing how you brits can make even the most casual of place settings look like royal tea time! Civilization the way it's supposed to be

Good to hear you are coming back up the curve. Winter is sure hard on the body and indoor training just bites. Oh well - life is good!
Old 05-24-10, 10:56 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Glad I got the ride in yesterday as it has been warm over here today. Pushing into the 80's but it is not going to last as by the end of the week we will be dropping into the 50's again. Should warn you lot that I have a Holiday booked for the next two weeks- so don't come to the UK for 2 weeks and 1 day. It will be cold- wet and windy- going by the last few holidays I have spent in the UK.

A few pics of the area- but not taken yesterday.

Th downs view shows the "Easy" 15% slope to the hills. and when you reach the top you get views like the 3rd one.

Downsview..JPG Downs view..JPG friston9..jpg

But Road riding and you can get some decent slopes in. High and Over is what it says-It is High and it is Over the Hills. Beachy Head is the Suicide Hot spot of the South coast. A 600ft drop to the sea. They do have a suicide watch Patrol at weekends and evenings so you don't stop near the edge as you will get a Rugby tackle to pull you away from the drop. And the 16% does exist but is only for .7 of a mile. I prefer going down it.

hills4..jpghills3..jpghills2..jpgHills1..jpg

Telephone boxes are Red over here and are a lot more modern than this one. But as this is an "Environmentally Sensitive" area- they have painted this one Green and kept the old style. Not far fron here is the Village of Friston- Famed for its Cafe for Breakfast and Cakes. A Real "Olde Worlde" Village with just a few houses but each one is special. Very Special at the price they sell for. Pic of my favourite slope as it is not steep- not long but leads to some exciting rides on the MTB in the forest.

friston8..jpgDSC00182..jpg

Spike Milligan