Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How was your ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/647711-how-your-ride-today.html)

Blues Frog 05-22-10 05:07 PM

How was your ride today?

I did a 25 mile ride with a friend today. He was the only other one who showed up for a "club" ride. An MS 70 was done in the city today and I wasn't feeling ready for that mileage yet. So most went that direction I suppose. " I'm fine, how about you?" :) God Bless. Wing Nut

cyclinfool 05-22-10 05:13 PM

Thanks for asking - mine was 60+ miles over rolling terrain - a club ride. It was supposed to be an easy ride but turned out to be a push. Im tired, but again, thanks for asking.

maddmaxx 05-22-10 05:26 PM

Wonderful. Low 70's, low humidity, no wind, well groomed trails with most of the holes and washouts filled and a pleasent tired feeling post ride.

wrafl 05-22-10 05:32 PM

It was foggy at the start, had the lights on to be seen. The fog lifted at around 9:00AM but the cloud stayed for most of the ride. The temp was in the 60's with calm wind and I did 54 miles. The sun finally broke through the clouds after I got home and I would say I had a good riding day. Tomorrow will be mostly sunny and temps to reach the mid 80's. So I'm looking forward to be back on the saddle again.

cranky old dude 05-22-10 05:38 PM

It was grrrreeeeaaat!

I took the long way home from work and headed over to Braddock Bay park and then east bound along the lake shore. It was a leisurly ride of 21 miles from 05:30 a.m. until 07:00 a.m.

I think I saw one car and it was going the other way.

I'm looking foreward to a repeat of the same ride when I get out of work tomorrow at dawn. :)

Allegheny Jet 05-22-10 06:04 PM

Thanks for asking and I'm glad you are fine. The 80 miles were harder than expected even though I kept my HR in Z2 for most of the ride. After 4 recovery/post ride beers and a couple gobs of peanut butter and am doing fine now.

NoRacer 05-22-10 06:24 PM

I did this ride - in 2 parts - http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/32961 and http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/32962

It was a good solo ride through Delaware flatlands/wetlands.

gash44 05-22-10 07:16 PM

My ride was great got lost and I think that was the best part plus lots of sun and warmth. Did 35 miles of fun cycling. Does not get any better than that. In fact it was better than my 53 mile ride Friday out to Concord MA. to see the beginning of the start of our country like the North Bridge where the Colonials and the British started it all. :)

marathon marke 05-22-10 08:08 PM

Good to hear that you had a great ride, Wing Nut! And thank you for asking.
I did a very easy, flat 35 miles, as tomorrow I'm doing one of my favorite (and most challenging 65 mile routes. I did this hilly ride last Sunday also, but tomorrow's weather is supposed to be much hotter than last week. So tonight I'm taking it easy with a movie, some popcorn, and the dog, while my wife is out with a couple of her friends. God bless you too! :)

BikeWNC 05-22-10 08:54 PM

NealH and I joined several friends on the Ruby Ride Metric out of Franklin NC. We rode 63 miles and 4500' of climbing in 3:50 ride time/4:10 total. It was a nice day after the light rain shower cleared out. Great route, but I fought tired legs all day.

JimF22003 05-23-10 02:26 AM

Nice cool ride with lots of hills (9000 ft. over 100 miles.) Just about perfect except for finishing the last five miles in the pouring rain :(

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34198949

Jamesw2 05-23-10 04:52 AM

Got a ride to Coldspring with the LBC. The owner had it set up with a rack in the bed that would take at least five bikes. My plan was to ride some rollers 17 miles then ride home @ 42 miles. Had issues with my shifter and meeded to make adjustments. It was overcast when we started but by the time i finished the first leg the sun was out. I had a camel back @100 oz and two waterbottles. I finishes the first leg of 17 miles

Temps were now in the high eighties and I was now heading South into a 10 mph headwind and bright sunshine. Afrer 17 miles I checked my water and only had 8 oz's left. and I was hot. Found a Lov's travel station and called my wife to pick me up. It took me about an hour to get cooled down. I am also a clyde and it was my first ride in hot weather and 16 days since my last ride.

cyclezealot 05-23-10 05:21 AM

Club ride was 74 miles with 9 miles of climbing to an altitude of almost 2800 feet. I need down a beer quickly , if I don't fall asleep first.

kr32 05-23-10 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 10852455)
Nice cool ride with lots of hills (9000 ft. over 100 miles.) Just about perfect except for finishing the last five miles in the pouring rain :(

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34198949

Jim, was this a solo effort? I have seen you post this ride before if I remember correctly. It is beautiful up that way.

cyclinfool 05-23-10 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 10851114)
Thanks for asking and I'm glad you are fine. The 80 miles were harder than expected even though I kept my HR in Z2 for most of the ride. After 4 recovery/post ride beers and a couple gobs of peanut butter and am doing fine now.

Peanut butter and beer - recovery nutrition of champions!
When I do this the peanut butter is crunchy and served from the jar on a big spoon, the beer - Corona light.
The way I figure it I am getting the bread I would have had in a normal sandwich in liquid form...

Retro Grouch 05-23-10 06:09 AM

Not-so-good for the Grouch.

The weather yesterday was perfect but, unfortunately, I've been under it for a week. I've been coughing so badly that my rib cage aches. The worst of all possible worlds - well enough to struggle through work all week but not well enough to bicycle on the week end. I've started taking some OTC drugs, but I'm not getting well as quickly as I think that I deserve.

Not being able to bicycle qualifies as one of the big 3. Maybe I should cave and go see a doctor. I'd really like to get this cleared up by next week end.

Blues Frog 05-23-10 06:24 AM

Retro we are getting the first of the warmer weather in the NW corner of Misery. It looks like upper 80s and higher for a while now. We were getting the cool and rain stuff. Our route has some honking hills even for Misery. Then it evens out with some milder hills and curves with some oak covered (shaded) curves. It is good to cool off and go slow for a small distance then go at the hard hills again on the way home. I was dismayed as an old Baptist country church has been torn down on the last curve out. The folks have a beutiful home there but I like nostalgic buildings with stately old oaks. It was a romantic area; with a little imagination you can see the Ice Cream Socials and such with the kids out playing in the trees around the church ..... Anyway at the next junction the sign was left up. Good for those who remember Smith's Fork Baptist Church. Y'all take care. Wing Nut

roccobike 05-23-10 06:29 AM

Great rides both Thursday and Saturday. Thursday club ride was a moderatley hilly 34 miles at 18.3MPH Avg which is the fastest I've ever done that ride and certainly is one of the fastest times for that club. We shared the pull time more than usual and I think that helped.
Saturday was a great ride with the Selma Cyclepaths. The "B" group was feeling frisky, completing a 35 miler at 19.0.
This has been a great year to date as I'm riding at about 1MPH faster on club rides compared to last year.

Wogster 05-23-10 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 10852651)
Not-so-good for the Grouch.

The weather yesterday was perfect but, unfortunately, I've been under it for a week. I've been coughing so badly that my rib cage aches. The worst of all possible worlds - well enough to struggle through work all week but not well enough to bicycle on the week end. I've started taking some OTC drugs, but I'm not getting well as quickly as I think that I deserve.

Not being able to bicycle qualifies as one of the big 3. Maybe I should cave and go see a doctor. I'd really like to get this cleared up by next week end.

The general rule of thumb is that if a cough doesn't get a lot better after a week, you should see a doctor to make sure it isn't something more serious.

JanMM 05-23-10 12:46 PM

Nice club ride in the flat country of Johnson and Shelby counties today. 55 miles with the temp edging up into the 80's toward the end. By flat I mean that the little ring was not used today.

wrafl 05-23-10 01:27 PM

It was hot and muggy. Did 30.6 miles despite the temp. Had to quit as I was about to run out of water and gatorade otherwise the weather was bearable.

The Weak Link 05-23-10 02:05 PM

It was a recovery ride, so I limited the ride to 138 miles at an average, including my one rest stop, at 21 MPH. As far as climbing was concerned, I would have gotten more in but the sherpas thought I didn't have enough oxygen tanks to keep going up so they made me take it easy :rolleyes:

Retro Grouch 05-23-10 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10854088)
It was a recovery ride, so I limited the ride to 138 miles at an average, including my one rest stop, at 21 MPH. As far as climbing was concerned, I would have gotten more in but the sherpas thought I didn't have enough oxygen tanks to keep going up so they made me take it easy :rolleyes:

Nice work. I love the detail about the one rest stop.

ahsposo 05-23-10 03:58 PM

The heat and humidity are taking up residence down here in the Low Country. You guys reporting cool temp rides make me jealous.

I do "Mileage Lite" so I'm reporting 64k for this Sunday. The heat is taking it's toll on my speed and will to ride the distance. When I left the house I was thinking I would do about 90k or so but after four 24oz (get refills of ice water from a golf course!) bottles of water and a spot of lemonade provided by some cute seven year olds at N/C (because I left home without any money and they thought I looked too sweaty to go without) I headed for the ranch and my chores.

Gosh, that Weak Link sure has rebounded from his difficulties hasn't he...:rolleyes:

cyclinfool 05-23-10 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10854088)

Doper