Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back Pain Only the Morning After?

I'm sixty with some L4-5 problems that I can generally keep under control with exercise.

I've been riding for many years but am now experiencing a lot of pain the day after I ride. I feel NO discomfort while riding but the following morning I am so stiff and sore it is all I can to to get out of bed and put my pants on. Interestingly, even in that condition....I can still go out and ride without pain.

Unfortunately, if I stop cycling for a week or so the pain diminishes, so I know riding is the cause.

My stem is raised and I try to do my core exercises...but I guess I'm perplexed as to why the pain only appears the day after I ride?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you doing flexibility/stretching exercises too?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    68 y/o here, found that the forward lean position on a road, race bike has made my L4-L5 pain go away.
    You may just be sitting up too straight.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't suffer any discomfort while riding...but I have always woken up with soreness in the lower back, compressed discs and some arthritis creeping in. I have an inversion table I use to stretch on first thing, then about 35-40 inverted crunches, and the rest of the day is fine. When we go somewhere for the weekend and have to leave the table behind...I really feel it. Of course, YMMV
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pic attached of a couple of bikes I ride. Saddle height the same-saddle to bar distance the same but as you can see- the Gold bike has the bars lower by 4".

I have a back problem like yours. Or used to till I changed over to a road bike. That stretched out low position takes all the strain off the back. The gold bike is comfy for 60 miles- after that the body gives out a bit but back ache does not come into it.

Many think that an upright stance will help but it does not always. Mind you, with the bars lower- neck ache is understandable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys.

Regarding stretching and core work; frankly, if I don't ride at all then I really don't have any back pain or stiffness. It's only in the Spring when I get back into cycling regularly ( every other day) that the pain starts.

So...I'm cycling to keep the weight off and stay in shape...but doing so causes back pain, which then requires me to do exercises to stave off the pain. While I love riding and staying in shape...it's all starting to seem counterproductive when it brings on pain I don't normally have.

This getting old stuff is for the birds.

By the way...I am riding a road bike, raised stem not too low and overall geometry and fit is good. Again there is NO pain or discomfort when I ride, only the next day. I'm starting to consider trying a Mtn. bike to see if that would be better or worse.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked about stretching because the first several weeks each spring my body feels fine on the bike but stiff the day after. As I work on flexibility the day after stiffness goes away.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright