Long Run Nick
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Runner/Bikers out there?

I have mentioned in several of my posts my passion for running. Haven't seen any responses from crosstrainers. I realize this is a Bike forum. Just surprised, I guess. I am sure my running base (over 71K miles) has made my riding over 450 miles in less than 3 weeks possible, after not being on a bike in 12 years. This at age 66. Most of us can do a lot more than we think we can. Thanks for letting me brag. Actually, I am very greatful and maybe this post will motivate some folks. We limit ourselves a lot by our thinking. Be you 50,60,70 80 or 90+, a basic rule in Physics says a lot: A body in motion, tends to stay in motion. Stay in motion. Nick

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braggart! On the other hand, that is worth bragging about! Any complaints from your body parts about riding that much after a 12 year gap?
    You haven't motivated me to run - I've never run - but I certainly agree that you have to keep moving.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Running is wonderful, and I miss it terribly. I developed a bone spur in my left heel that brought my running to an abrupt end this spring. I am back on the bike again after a collarbone-breaking crash last June. It's all good. So far, it's REALLY good!

My Bikes
    '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What she said ^.

I've got arthritis in both hips and can't run much any more. I'd rather run than bike for exercise, but biking is great for commuting and long-distance recreational tours. I used to race (road bikes) about 30 years ago, but that's a dim memory...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed running in my teens and 20's. Now my bad back and knees won't let me run very far without causing me a lot of pain.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only run if I'm being chased.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave up running because of knee pain. A friend recommended bicycles and the rest is history. I tried to run again a few months ago and it almost killed me with boredom...I don't know how I ever did that. Not to mention it uses a whole new set of muscles. I ran for two miles and almost couldn't walk for two days!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 3 days a week during the months that I dont have enough light for a bike ride before work. Even this summer I may take one day a week for a run/swim workout. For overall fitness I like the benefits of cross training. I dont enjoy running the way I enjoy cycling, but I do like feeling fit. I especially like the way my legs felt when I swim after a 2 mile run

There are several lifetime runners in our cycling club that have switched to cycling because of injuries/conditions.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running makes you impotent.

My Bikes
    '82 Colnago Super; '07 Cannondale CAAD9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed running through the years but the constant battle with overuse injuries and finally herniated disc that took forever to heal (but thank goodness eventually did) led me back to riding. I think you acquire fitness running a little sooner than you do riding but I like being able to walk w/o limping.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cross train but I don't run as much as you. I bike; run; swim and weight train.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the sensible things about cycling is that it does not put any strain on the knee joints. I ran for a Club over here till I was 34 and I was competitive in the South East region. 15 mile crosscountry was my distance and I started running when I was invalided out of the Marines with my knees damaged. Kept running for a long time but eventually the kness got so bad- I finished up DNF more times than a finish.

I no longer run as I can't- Even running for a bus would put me off work for a week so I cycle instead. Even at the gym on the treadmill I walk. admittedly at 6mph so I do get a cardio workout on it- but running- no way.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been a better runner than a cyclist, even after decades of doing both- it's just the way it is. Hope I never have to give either activity up.
    Last edited by rnorris; 05-25-10 at 06:58 PM.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can no longer run, then power walk, speedwalk, or racewalk. Your legs need some impact exercise, and cycling alone will lead to osteoporosis. It is very common for elite cyclists in their 40s to have the hearts of 20-year-olds and the bones of 60-year-olds.

I still run on dirt or sand, and occasionally on asphalt, but I have had to give up running on concrete -- too hard on the ankles and feet, although my knees can still handle it. My fitness program includes weight training, running, walking, and cycling, and the latter three serve many of my transportation needs, as well.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Nick!! I also have been primarily a runner for a number of years. My focus for the past 6 years has been ultrarunning, with an emphasis on 100 mile trail races (including Stu's Ancient Oaks 100 miler in your state of FL). I have always used cycling as cross training. I am now in the process of switching my primary focus from running to cycling. Ultrarunning was taking a significant toll on my body. I still love running, and try to do two 10 mile runs per week between rides. I think the weight-bearing element of running is valuable to me, as I don't do much weight training. Agree completely with the use it or lose it concept.
    Congrats on your successful re-entry to cycling.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run, but only on one condition, I'm gonna miss my bus if I don't

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Run Nick, you are fortunate that you are still able to absorb the impact of running. I was a collegiate decathlete and running defined me in all the sports I participated in after my competition days ended. In my early 40's I began coaching high school track and field and started to run, then train, with the athletes I was coaching. I had visions of competing at the national level in the Master's 45+ championships when I would become eligible in a couple years. The 200 meter and 110 hurdle times, that I was running with the kids, would allow for a podium placing. I began to have some chronic pain in one of my ankles and a visit to an orthopedic doctor revealed that there was no more cartilage in my ankle. I thought I could work through it but soon after I began to get sciatica pain due to over compensation so I retired from running and began my cycling passion.

Fast forward 14 years and I now train and race bicycles to get my "competition fix" and look forward to every minute on the bike. Last December I had my ankle fused with 9 screws and a plate and for the first time in a long while I'm pain free. I can even walk down a flight of stairs with something in my hands again! I anticipate beginning to do short sprints over the next couple months in preparation for the "off the bike work" in cyclo-cross racing. I have no visions of ever running any distances longer than 50 meters.

Enjoy your running while you can and do everything to enable your body to keep on running. I believe that your cycling will help in keeping your cardio up while you reduce your time running.
    oldschool areodynamic brick