Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mission accomplished!!

Just got back from a 1 week trip taking and leaving my son's extra wheel chair van from Denver to San Francisco followed by another week of cruising to Alaska from Seattle.

I bought a couple of one-step-up department store bikes on CL for my wife and me to take with us on the trip to SF, and we rode in several towns and in SF along the way. I gave the bikes to a young BFN member college student in SF, and hope he is able to use them - or else trade them or something.

On our cruise, we were able to do some bike riding in Skagway, and a rain forest hike in Ketchikan. Great cruise, by-the-way, and the AK weather was wonderful. We saw about 40 whales. It does add up to a pretty penny once you get everything paid for. ALmost the cost of a decent bike!! However, a portion of it (about 65%)was a present from our son and daughter-in-law.

I was also able to do lap swimming almost everyday - including a very nice pool on the ship, where I was the only swimmer every morning at 5:00 am.

So, back to the humdrum of everyday retired life in Denver!! We have very high winds today (50 mph), so no riding today. But I will swim today.

Life is a B I T C H!!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 friends from high school that I just got back in touch with. They are both retired and I hate them. They keep telling me about their days and what they do and I hate them. I can't wait for someone to hate me!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to have you back.
    What happened to the pictures, I am sure you just neglected to post them but will be right on top of this shortly.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I love your posts. You really have grabbed life by the horns. Mission accomplished indeed!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So which fine Canadian city got blessed with your presence?

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    So which fine Canadian city got blessed with your presence?
    We visited Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We opted out of Victoria, as the ship did not dock until 7:30 pm, and left at midnight, with a strenuous disembarkation day ahead, starting at 5:30 am for us.

So, we missed Canada.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't miss much then,at that time of day the fine burghers of Victoria have already rolled up the sidewalks and gone to rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From afar: Welcome Home!

While you were up north I was down in your back yard. I had some rides down past your house, up to the intersection of I-70&I-76, around Chatfield a couple times, etc. When the weather was good it was outstanding riding. BUT: On some days we had High winds that made me afraid to ride. On another day, on my way home from Parker I was caught in a thunderstorm complete with lightning. My flight back home yesterday was delayed hours due to the high winds.

But, I flat enjoyed the riding and the people I met on the trails. One evening while waiting for my ride buddy a family came by the Oberland Park Pond and we sat there enjoying the evening and chatting. Another day I got lost on the trails and had to ride the streets. I quickly came to understand that Denver Metro has wonderful bike trails that make cycling fun. But, when a person gets on the streets it gets hazardous real quick.

Now that I'm back home I'm looking forward to my next trip down, the trails and hoping our schedules match up.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.