Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 My youth revisited

From 12 to 16 years old I rode a Raleigh Rodeo muscle bike / stingray everywhere near home in West Germany. It was a skinny tire bike great for wheelies with a 3 speed SA hub and a Brooks banana saddle. Mine was red

I just dropped off a 26" MTB frame (Camelback from NYCBikes) and fork for painting at my auto body shop (their first). It's getting the 4 coat (primer, black, base, clear) treatment of a Ruby Perlescent Metal flake style paint. The sample glows in the sun! So far I have a 42T crankset, sissy bars, 16" ape hangers, stem, and NOS white saddle. I've updated some alloy wheels (rear -> bolt on) and installed very nice 1.5" slicks and a 7 speed freewheel. I've got some linear pull XT brakes and rear derailleur pulled off my son's previous bike. I would like an alternitive to a grip shifter but that may have to wait.

I hope she comes out as nice as I'm planning. She's funded by a dozen flipped bikes on Craigslist - which helps me overlook the paint job costing 50% of the total cost.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Famous race-car driver Gordon Johncock sits on a Raleigh Rodeo he won at a competition.

Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of one of my favorite childhood bikes - a banana-seat knock-off (Huffy?) with a 5-speed shifter! IIRC it was purple. Had a fat, slick rear tire. I got a bad case of road rash racing that bike and still have the scar to prove it. I'm sure my folks have a photo of me sitting on it, which I'll post if I can locate it.
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see it!
    I think I'd go with the twist shift over the stick shift on the top tube, if you know what I mean.
    One of the bike of my youth was a stingray, or what passed for a stingray, it was a 20 inch wheel frame, with a big sissy bar, banana seat, and a set of ape hangers. I had a slick for the rear tire. One day I decided to iinprove the 'style' and coolness of my bike. I put a 16 inch wheel on the front. I was styling, crusing down the street, Mr. Cool. Then I decided to pull off one my signature wheelies. I lifted the front wheel, and watched in horror as it bounced down the street without me. Yes, I became very intimate with the pavement that day. Of course this was way before there where such things a bicycle helmets, let alone laws that say stupid kids that don't tighten the front wheels enough have to wear one. I was only unconsious in the street for a few minutes before I got up not knowing what day it was. Bent my fork too.
    I learned two lessons that day, always make sure your nuts are tight, and pavement is hard.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up the frame today. Outside of the sun (or a photo flash) it looks dark hershey chocolate brown. I'm taking it to the LBS to get the BB shell chased and a BB installed. It's all going slow today because my prospective new car (burgandy volvo 850) is in the shop for a prepurchase inspection. It's going to be my son's beater.
    Korval is Ships