Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-10, 11:45 AM   #26
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the quest for a doable old lady? huh?
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 12:09 PM   #27
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
So is there a problem?
Absolutely not!!! I ride. I enjoy. Life is good. Amen.
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 12:11 PM   #28
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post

Gives me an idea for the clowns who holler "F*@@*T!" at me -- "You just lookin' for a boyfriend!"
I tell them that Jesus loves them, but I think they are an *******.
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 12:14 PM   #29
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
That's why the whole Lycra debate is silly. A significant number of motorists would hate cyclists , even if they were wearing Tux's.

^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 02:10 PM   #30
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was out riding with my wife the other day and a passer-by yelled out "you go, granny!' to her. She was not amused.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 02:17 PM   #31
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
'The Look' is discreet compared to 25 years ago when I was riding on Peachtree Road on Atlanta's Near North Side and a 'Lady' (of the night) yelled out "Hey baby! You want a date?"
Old 05-27-10, 02:22 PM   #32
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
I was out riding with my wife the other day and a passer-by yelled out "you go, granny!' to her. She was not amused.
2003 did a hard long ride on the Tandem. Caught a bunch 90 miles in and the pilot chatted to the back marker as they went up the hill. The back marker mentioned that he was too old to do this ride--"But did you see that old bloke at the start- One of the Tandem riders- wonder how far they got? Pilot asked him how old he was and he said 35. I then chipped in with the fact that the Tandem was still going and that the old bloke was 55. We then accelerated past him and caught the rest. Didn't see the back marker again.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 04:03 PM   #33
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
She's really gonna be pissed if she finds out you told us about it.

Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 07:57 PM   #34
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
You know you are old when you start thinking of 80yo as your contemporaries and caring what they think.

I think there is a certain homophobia towards cycling for whatever reasons. I think that is at the heart of some of the "issues" we deal with, that and in the US bicycles are looked upon as a children toys, something you are supposed to out grow.
No.

That's just silly, honestly.

I don't think "rednecks" are any more hostile as a demographic group than "blacks" or "Mexicans" or "snotty Yankee buttholes".

BikesnobNYC has brutally nailed this topic over his last several posts, but he's too much of a gentleman and doesn't quite have enough huevos to come right out and say it.

Unfortunately cycling, which is apolitical and probably econeutral in the great scheme of things, has been co-opted by Warmulans, Gaia worshipers, and left wingnuts.

Too many in Middle America associate cycling with lefties. It's a shame and it's not fair, in my mind.

I never, and I mean never get harassed by "rednecks". I think I get professional courtesy.

I was once almost killed while on my bike downtown by someone with an "Obama '08" sticker. Is that of any significance?

I doubt it.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 10:00 PM   #35
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
She's really gonna be pissed if she finds out you told us about it.

Heh.

But on a related point, the oldest rider on the Lake Pepin 3-Speed tour this past weekend was 93 years old!
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 01:39 AM   #36
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
The look does not always have to be negative. Years ago I was riding with some friends.. Some teen girls yelled out to a friend. Nice arse... She wanted to slap him across the butt, but she missed.. But, of course that could be assault and battery with intent to commit murder.. My friend wasn't flattered by it all.

^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 01:49 AM   #37
Rowan
Has opinion, will express

Bikes:
The thought police planting evidence again.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 05:26 AM   #38
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
'The Look' is discreet compared to 25 years ago when I was riding on Peachtree Road on Atlanta's Near North Side and a 'Lady' (of the night) yelled out "Hey baby! You want a date?"
And your reply, and was she fun?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 06:22 AM   #39
toddtone

Bikes: 2002 Trek 7300; 2004 Trek 1000; 2007 Trek pilot 5.0; 2008 Trek 1500; 1997 Bianchi Alloro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Arnold View Post
C'mon, life is too short to spend a lot of time thinking about what someone thinks someone else might have been thinking.
took the words right out of my mouth.
toddtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 08:20 AM   #40
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
And your reply, and was she fun?
I didn't have any cash, she didn't accept credit cards and, besides, that would have messed with the common knowlegde that cycling is the most fun you can have without worrying about STD's.
Old 05-28-10, 08:39 AM   #41
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
No.

That's just silly, honestly.

I don't think "rednecks" are any more hostile as a demographic group than "blacks" or "Mexicans" or "snotty Yankee buttholes".

BikesnobNYC has brutally nailed this topic over his last several posts, but he's too much of a gentleman and doesn't quite have enough huevos to come right out and say it.

Unfortunately cycling, which is apolitical and probably econeutral in the great scheme of things, has been co-opted by Warmulans, Gaia worshipers, and left wingnuts.

Too many in Middle America associate cycling with lefties. It's a shame and it's not fair, in my mind.

I never, and I mean never get harassed by "rednecks". I think I get professional courtesy.

I was once almost killed while on my bike downtown by someone with an "Obama '08" sticker. Is that of any significance?

I doubt it.
I never said anything about rednecks or demographics, the statement goes deeper than that.

I have often wondered what the "issue" was and I am certain that much of it, and I have seen a distinct increase since AIDS came to be, is homophobia but how or why the connection to cycling I cannot say except maybe that for the clothing that is often worn, much as swimmers and skaters and dancers are often taken as being homosexual (not that there is anything wrong with it).

Do you wear a Speedo or dork shorts at the beach and why or why not? Let me ask that? Now consider that as you tear down the road in tight Lycra, what do you think ??????
Loose Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 08:47 AM   #42
lshaped

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite
who cares, she's haired up and healed over
lshaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 09:25 AM   #43
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Maybe it had nothing to do with you. Maybe she didn't like your gruppo?
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 09:29 AM   #44
Dan The Man

Bikes:
I thought this was "the look"
Dan The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 09:46 AM   #45
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Quote:
Do you wear a Speedo or dork shorts at the beach and why or why not? Let me ask that? Now consider that as you tear down the road in tight Lycra, what do you think ??????
I used to wear Speedos but they passed laws expressedly forbiding men in mid-life crisis from wearing them.

Then I gained 35 pounds.

I like Speedos. They give you better tan lines. I'd wear them now except my family would give me too much grief over it.

The whole "I'm a victim because I'm gay" crap is way overwrought IMHO.

The whole "I'm evil because I drive a white Ford pick-up truck" is also way overwrought.

Trying to be even-handed. Just sayin'.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 09:59 AM   #46
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywbee3 View Post
OK, so I am almost 60, mostly bald, trim, with white hair and beard. It was in the 80s today and I did a grocery run, the long way, so it was about 15 miles round trip. I was wearing cotton shorts, not Lycra and polypro top. As I am locking up my bike a lady who I would guess to be in her 70s or 80s walks by and I thought she was going to complement me on trying to keep in shape, etc. Instead she gives me a look that I can only interpret as "You are so f---ing stupid I wonder how you find your way home at night!" She went into the store and I did not see her again. I was downwind, wearing clean clothes, and trying to look presentable. I hope it was something that she had for breakfast that was giving her grief.
It may not be you she was thinking of as stupid, it was probably her dear old Frank, who let himself go, put on 75lbs and had a massive coronary in his late 40's, if he had ridden a bicycle he might have ended up in your kind of shape at 60 and still be knocking around, instead of occupying plot number BE22-47....
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 10:46 AM   #47
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywbee3 View Post
OK, so I am almost 60, mostly bald, trim, with white hair and beard. It was in the 80s today and I did a grocery run, the long way, so it was about 15 miles round trip. I was wearing cotton shorts, not Lycra and polypro top. As I am locking up my bike a lady who I would guess to be in her 70s or 80s walks by and I thought she was going to complement me on trying to keep in shape, etc. Instead she gives me a look that I can only interpret as "You are so f---ing stupid I wonder how you find your way home at night!" She went into the store and I did not see her again. I was downwind, wearing clean clothes, and trying to look presentable. I hope it was something that she had for breakfast that was giving her grief.
Just my half cents worth... Since she gave you the you're stupid look, and not the I hate your guts look, she probably just thinks you are going out of your way to make things harder on yourself, and should act your age. I get that look from friends and family quite often when I mention riding my bicycle someplace to do something... Where as the I hate your guts look comes when you threaten someones lifestyle by suggesting that they could ride a bike as well, and it's fun and good for them. Just a thought.
Bionicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 12:59 PM   #48
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
I
Do you wear a Speedo . . . and why or why not? Let me ask that? Now consider that as you tear down the road in tight Lycra, what do you think ??????
I wear this when lap swimming - why? Because it allows me to swim more freely, and is the proper attire for that activity, vis a vis lycra being the proper attire for bicycling. I hate being dragged down with a bulky swim suit, and, especially hate getting out of the water with canvas or whatever plastered to my legs and evaporating and the resultant freezing cold. And, the nylon wears forever.

DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote