Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Surly LTH, Burley Duet, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got "the look" today

OK, so I am almost 60, mostly bald, trim, with white hair and beard. It was in the 80s today and I did a grocery run, the long way, so it was about 15 miles round trip. I was wearing cotton shorts, not Lycra and polypro top. As I am locking up my bike a lady who I would guess to be in her 70s or 80s walks by and I thought she was going to complement me on trying to keep in shape, etc. Instead she gives me a look that I can only interpret as "You are so f---ing stupid I wonder how you find your way home at night!" She went into the store and I did not see her again. I was downwind, wearing clean clothes, and trying to look presentable. I hope it was something that she had for breakfast that was giving her grief.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an age thing. My m-in-law used to ask if I was tired and needed a nap when I came in from riding. She just never really understood when I told her I was hot but reinvigorated.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares what those old ladies think?

I'm always thrilled to be able to run errands by bike and some snarling old biddie ain't gonna change that!

Actually, I've found that 99% of fellow shoppers are freindly and accomodating...if not darn right interested in trying it themselves.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was probably gas
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time drop trou on her.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she's not:

a.) paying your bills; or,
    b.) doable,

then who cares what she thinks? Your life, your ride, F*** anybody who doesn't like it!

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Next time drop trou on her.

Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    If she's not:

b.) doable,

then who cares what she thinks? Your life, your ride, F*** anybody who doesn't like it!

I like you guys!
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Who cares what those old ladies think?.
    Who care what anyone thinks?

A year ago I thought the bikes with the skinny tires and seat up your but was stupid, not to mention those silly outfits. Now I find that everything in road and CX biking (and perhaps mtb) all have an important purpose in the sport (Speed, comfort, weight, aero, etc.) and those things I appreciate. Some things are done to keep up with the Jones' as it were, and those things I eschew.

I don't care that I ride a BD bike, have speedplays, wear a reflective vest in the dark, and any number of things that are frowned upon. While I realize shaving one's legs has a purpose, I suppose I'll have to learn that lesson my self.

I got out, ride hard, and enjoy myself. I adopt the things that make sense to me.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A year or so ago I had a little old lady--think Sophia from Golden Girls--give me a completely different kind of look.

She was behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store. I was wearing lycra shorts since I'd stopped on my commute home, and she said to me, "I haven't seen a butt like that in 40 years!"
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    ...and she said to me, "I haven't seen a butt like that in 40 years!"
    I wonder, is that good or bad?
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she's not:

b.) doable,

then who cares what she thinks?
    I just coughed fizzy beer out my nose, thankyouverymuch.

My Dad had an old uncle who retired at age 65, sat down in his armchair by the fire and barely moved again until he died 17 years later. Because that was what old people were supposed to do.

Remember when Bing Crosby died just after finishing a round of golf? Apparently his last words were "That was a great game fellas". I was a teenager at the time and can remember thinking how, as and when my time came, I definitely wanted it to be while doing something I love. (I have a nagging fear that I'll breathe my last while on a conference call, or standing in line somewhere.)

However, my Dad's old uncle had a different opinion. His was "The stupid idiot, playing golf at his age. What was he thinking?" It just seems sad to me that some people think you shouldn't do something you love just because you're gettin' up there in years.

So back to the original post...as a wise man once said...

Your life, your ride, F*** anybody who doesn't like it!
    "I heard the music and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums, some people strum guitars. It's all in the music you hear" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe that was her "cougar" look...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Who care what anyone thinks?

A year ago I thought the bikes with the skinny tires and seat up your but was stupid, not to mention those silly outfits. Now I find that everything in road and CX biking (and perhaps mtb) all have an important purpose in the sport (Speed, comfort, weight, aero, etc.) and those things I appreciate. Some things are done to keep up with the Jones' as it were, and those things I eschew.

I don't care that I ride a BD bike, have speedplays, wear a reflective vest in the dark, and any number of things that are frowned upon. While I realize shaving one's legs has a purpose, I suppose I'll have to learn that lesson my self.

I got out, ride hard, and enjoy myself. I adopt the things that make sense to me.
    So is there a problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    A year or so ago I had a little old lady--think Sophia from Golden Girls--give me a completely different kind of look.

She was behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store. I was wearing lycra shorts since I'd stopped on my commute home, and she said to me, "I haven't seen a butt like that in 40 years!"
    Similar thing on a group ride. Gal waves us ahead, expecting her to pass after a long downhill, and she follows us for about 5 miles. When she finally did pass us she had a big smile on her face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not uncommon. The old saw that Misery Loves Company is as applicable here as in other places. People who are at least somewhat fit are threatening by their very presence to others who are not. At the same time cyclists, especially those of maturity are a minority, a very, small minority and so are targets for those who aren't comfortable with others not like themselves.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah - you silly goose, you had her when you bent over to lock your bike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C'mon, life is too short to spend a lot of time thinking about what someone thinks someone else might have been thinking.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should have asked..... want some?

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Connell View Post
    I just coughed fizzy beer out my nose, thankyouverymuch.

My Dad had an old uncle who retired at age 65, sat down in his armchair by the fire and barely moved again until he died 17 years later. Because that was what old people were supposed to do.

Remember when Bing Crosby died just after finishing a round of golf? Apparently his last words were "That was a great game fellas". I was a teenager at the time and can remember thinking how, as and when my time came, I definitely wanted it to be while doing something I love. (I have a nagging fear that I'll breathe my last while on a conference call, or standing in line somewhere.)

However, my Dad's old uncle had a different opinion. His was "The stupid idiot, playing golf at his age. What was he thinking?" It just seems sad to me that some people think you shouldn't do something you love just because you're gettin' up there in years.

So back to the original post...as a wise man once said...
    Sorry to push you into alcohol abuse... that's what that turned out to be! Beer should only come back out of your body in a stream into the stool!

I deal with much the same attitude, though it shows itself only occasionally....

My extended family lives with me (sister's fam); b-in-l gets on the soapbox about something, toward someone, pretty much 2x/month, and it's all bull****. Once, he got on me about my riding -- griping at me because I ride in the cold, the rain, occasional snow, instead of going out and buying a car! I'm supposed to grow up, do the right thing, and get a car so I can take my daughter to the hospital (she's never been anywhere but a scheduled doc's appt. for the past seven years). He's 61, I'm 51, and he won't see 71. I intend on seeing 91, and the bike will enhance those chances!

Somebody here said something very profound -- "You don't slow down because you age, you age because you slow down." Not 100% true, but profound, just the same.

My Bikes
    84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 86 Centurion Ironman, 88 Centurion Prestige
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you are old when you start thinking of 80yo as your contemporaries and caring what they think.

I think there is a certain homophobia towards cycling for whatever reasons. I think that is at the heart of some of the "issues" we deal with, that and in the US bicycles are looked upon as a children toys, something you are supposed to out grow.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
    You know you are old when you start thinking of 80yo as your contemporaries and caring what they think.

I think there is a certain homophobia towards cycling for whatever reasons
    . I think that is at the heart of some of the "issues" we deal with, that and in the US bicycles are looked upon as a children toys, something you are supposed to out grow.
    Never thought about it like that; but you're right, that explains the calls of "F*@@*T!" Fat, lazy, out-o-shape rednecks and thugs who couldn't run to the crapper if it was outside the back door -- they're MANly! Oohhhhhh--kkaaaaaaaayy! You drive some POS with a loud muffler or some BS subwoofer stereo system, don't signal when you turn, make that DEEEEP left-hand cut on a corner that will put you in oncoming traffic's radiator, and you're a MAN, that women WANT over me.... Sure. The bicycle makes the cast of Queer Eye check me out on a daily basis.... Uh-huh.

Gives me an idea for the clowns who holler "F*@@*T!" at me -- "You just lookin' for a boyfriend!"

My Bikes
    None.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't wear cotton shorts and polypro tops. It will make you appear erotically un-coordinated.
    - every mile of road has two miles of ditch -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    It was probably gas
    ...which end......I drive a motorcycle trike,..other bikers look at me the same way,...but it that look from the guy in the car with a mud-pie face wife and kids in the back seat jumping up and down.....you know...dam, I wish I was him...<look>

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, you gotta watch out for old ladies - one buzzed me the other day and I could see her smiling as she did it. they have an evil side!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she's not:

b.) doable,

I think we've hit upon the meaning of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast