Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-10, 12:09 PM   #1
chicagorick

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and now for something completely different - looking for new bike thoughts :-)

Today i ride the cervelo rs, durace - for 2+years. Love it. But looking to splurge - well not crazy splurge, similar coin - but a different ride. I think "plush" - hate that term - is probably best but not necessary. what do you all think?
chicagorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 12:29 PM   #2
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
If you're going to lighten your pocket of considerable coinage, check out De Fietsfabriek on North Wells Street. Those bikes are crazy hot.

BTW, are you currently residing in Chicago?
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 02:26 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Many bikes out there but One I have looked at but not ridden (No built up ones over here as they are still in short supply and still sold as a frameset) is the Pinarrello Dogma.

But more to a bike than an off the shelf beastie. You have to chance to custom build on a top frame. May cost a bit more and there may be the problem of getting a test ride- but groupset of your choice- wheels of the quality you want and components that will fit properly.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 02:57 PM   #4
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Plush is good.

I've got a fairly plush frame currently (Bianchi 928 similar to the current Infinito) but I'm thinking I want something even more comfortable and distance oriented.

I've seen some custom steel bikes set up for mudguards, racks and yet pretty sporty and my current bike lust is going that way. I'm thinking I want to do some light touring (mainly what I've heard termed "credit card" touring) and want something of a quick all rounder. Really haven't begun the search process so I don't have anything definite in mind, but that's how I'm starting to think.

What kind of riding are you thinking about?
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:41 PM   #5
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
I thought the Cervelo RS was already supposed to be a comfortable ride. At least that is the marketing pitch Cervelo uses with the RS. Is there something else about the bike that you would like to be different? I could say to try a Specialized Roubaix but it might be similar to what you currently own. Perhaps a Ti bike would be different. Look at Lynskey. I think the 200 series bikes would probably fit your need.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 06:30 PM   #6
NealH 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac
I would recommend taking a look at the new Parlee Z5 or, perhaps the Cyfac Gothica - which, by the way is a beautifully well executed bike. I was admiring one of these a few weeks ago at biking event in the mountains. The owner said it was the more relaxed model in the Cyfac line. It certainly was nice looking. Pricey too, and distribution is lean.

I test rode the RS a couple years ago and didn't think it was any smoother than my Calfee Tetra.
NealH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 07:04 PM   #7
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Pegoretti Responsorium - nothing more needs to be said.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:27 PM   #8
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Pegoretti Responsorium - nothing more needs to be said.
Can't argue with Dario's work.

But for a more personalized result, find a local builder and go custom. There is no better shopping/riding experience than when you collaborate in person with a builder that delivers a quality ride with the features you want.

My Calfee, Tallerico & Co-Motion will always be special to me.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:46 PM   #9
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
I thought the Cervelo RS was already supposed to be a comfortable ride. At least that is the marketing pitch Cervelo uses with the RS. Is there something else about the bike that you would like to be different? I could say to try a Specialized Roubaix but it might be similar to what you currently own. Perhaps a Ti bike would be different. Look at Lynskey. I think the 200 series bikes would probably fit your need.
+1 I have a Cervelo R3 and prior to purchase rode several different bikes and chose the R3 primarily for comfort. It has proven itself in two difficult road races with Paris Roubaix style pavement.

I can definitely see wanting another bike that is different. This reminds me of a story I heard between two men in the locker room of Sport Club LA when I lived in Los Angeles. In LA, your car defines you. The one guy says to the other..."I am totally bored with my Porsche Turbo Carrera." This was the $140,000 version. Well, where can the conversation go? Ferrari, Lambo, Astin Martin DB9 all a lot more money? Back to bikes.

I think BikeWNC hit the nail on the head. You have to define what you want that is different. I think you have pretty plush right now. You can definitely go custom. I would like a custom Serotta. http://www.serotta.com/Bikes/Road/ It would just be something completely different to ride and I know several people who have them and love them.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 07:12 AM   #10
tcs
Palmer

Bikes:
Maybe something like a Lynskey or Rene Herse brevet bike?

tcs

Last edited by tcs; 05-27-10 at 07:15 AM.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 09:32 AM   #11
mkane77g

Bikes:
Moots ti
mkane77g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 09:44 AM   #12
oilman_15106

Bikes:
I am questioning, what does a Cervelo RS with DA and assume killer good wheels cost?

My suggestion on a plush frame is a Torelli Nitro Express. http://www.torelli.com/frames/torell...o-express.html Italian steel with a ton of paint options.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote