Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Modified Bike Ride Reports (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/648966-modified-bike-ride-reports.html)

DnvrFox 05-26-10 04:45 PM

Modified Bike Ride Reports

As many of you know, I had an extreme amount of pain after riding this past year. So, I did the MRI bit (found I had a bulging disk and spondolythesis), the Neurosurgeon thingie (x's 2), the Physiatrist consult, a whole bunch of PT and home exercises and a major rework of my Lemond BA, including extended stem and other stuff.

So, finally, after my vacation, terrible weather, etc., I have been able to get out for some 20 - 25 mile rides the last couple of days. So far, things are working OK. The bike feels a lot better, and I won't be getting a new bike as long as the Lemond keeps working. I get more compliments on that bike!!

Anyway, that is the end of my ride report!! Ha - I bet you thought you were going to get a lot of pictures, etc., and a description of a 200 mile double century done in 7 hours. No such luck. If I can do 20-25 miles daily - or near daily - I will be most happy, and I don't care a hoot about how long it takes me.

Lesson learned - when you are getting into your 70's - and are riding a bike that was fitted in your late 50's - it is time to get a checkup on your bike fit. You SHRINK!!

10 Wheels 05-26-10 04:48 PM

Hooting for you.
Good thread.

Mojo Slim 05-26-10 04:55 PM

I tell every one that bike fit is a fluid thing. I've had mine tweaked at least 4 times in 8 years, most recently about 2 months ago, then a tweak to the tweak about 2 weeks ago. And bike fit includes little wedges in your shoes.

NOS88 05-26-10 05:14 PM

Pleased as punch to hear that ride report.

JanMM 05-26-10 05:20 PM

Sounds like good progress/rehab; a good report.

Attention readers: He said 'Physiatrist consult', not to be confused with another kind of healthcare provider consult.

Sounds as if the Lemond will be due for a colonoscopy soon? Nah....not quite that old, is it?

ahsposo 05-26-10 05:22 PM

Do I remember that maybe a special bike could be in your future?

DnvrFox 05-26-10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 10870986)
Do I remember that maybe a special bike could be in your future?

I don't think so. The Lemond just rides so nicely . . . .

cyclinfool 05-26-10 06:51 PM

You may have shrunk in body but not in spirit. Good to here your doing better on the bike now.

Wildwood 05-26-10 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 10871433)
You may have shrunk in body but not in spirit. Good to here your doing better on the bike now.

+1.

Had my last bike built with aging considerations in mind. Slightly shorter top tube and bit more stand-over. Using a setback seatpost and 13cm stem to get a good position today. I'm not sure if this is a good example of wise planning or just an exercise in exhibiting my cheapskate mentality.

billydonn 05-26-10 10:20 PM

Good to hear you are back on your bike!

Rick@OCRR 05-27-10 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 10870777)
Ha - I bet you thought you were going to get a lot of pictures, etc., and a description of a 200 mile double century done in 7 hours.

I've never been able to ride a double century in anything less than 12 hours, and now that I'm 60 I'm happy to finish a double century in anything under 14!

Rick / OCRR