Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Flat at 50 mph! Scary.... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/649183-flat-50-mph-scary.html)

yrrej 05-27-10 11:13 AM

Flat at 50 mph! Scary....

Well I used at least one of my get out of jail cards today...

I was going down what is reputed to be the steepest hill in Madison County Ky
this morning when suddenly the bike started shuddering. ( Grizzards Hill)

I started feathering the brakes and finally came to a stop. Examining the
tire revealed a gash in the side and tread. I was not in the mood to try to
repair the rascal...

I was about 10 miles from home and there was no cell signal so I started
walking/pushing.

As luck would have it, an empty school bus appeared after about 25 feet of
walking :)

The ladies in the bus had seen me riding the road many times and
*graciously* delivered me and bike to my door.

According to the Garmin 705 data it appears that I was going about
50 mph when the event occurred.

What is weird is that the only other flat that I have had was at the
base of the hill that I had just come down...

Whew....

Jerry

bobthib 05-27-10 11:37 AM

You didn't mention if it was front or rear. That's scary (going 50 on a bike is scary, but a flat.) but a front tire would really freak me out. No matter, you handled well, and that "guardian angel" was a real God send.

RE: the tire gash. A friend of mine told me about using a fold dollar bill or two to line the tire will let you limp home. Of course that's assuming you are able to fix the flat and pump it up.

I actually had a chance to try this out last week. After stopping at our usual park for a rest on the Saturday club ride, as I exited the lot I felt a bump, bump, bump coming from the rear end. I stopped and looked and the rear tread and sidewall has a gash and a bubble. I deflated the tube, inserted the folded $ bill, and rode 10 mi home with no incident. :)

DnvrFox 05-27-10 11:54 AM

Scary. However, what is REALLY weird is that you have had only 2 flats. Wish I could say the same.

yrrej 05-27-10 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 10875130)
Scary. However, what is REALLY weird is that you have had only 2 flats. Wish I could say the same.

It was the rear tire...I was fearful that the tire would come off of the rim and bring the bike ( but not
me to an instant stop).

I travel the back roads of the county and the fact that I only have 1997.0 miles on the bike probably
accounts for the small number of flats (so far).

The tire was a 700x28 Continental Gran Prix All Season with only about 500 miles on the rascal.

I ordered a a replacement and installed a 700x28 Vittoria Zaffarino till the new tire arrives.

Jerry

cyclezealot 05-27-10 01:33 PM

I was once riding at about 25 mph while descending at Big Sur.. No barriers, Feared I was about to fly into the Pacific.. Yes, fast flats are scary.

stapfam 05-27-10 01:42 PM

Feel lucky it was not the front.

cyclinfool 05-27-10 03:43 PM

And this is why I descend like a married man with kids - wait a minute - I am a married man with kids!

cyclezealot 05-27-10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 10875802)

Talkin to me.. IT was the front... . But luckily it was a slow leaker.. Had it been a big pop, I am not sure what would have happened. Still. shook the bike just a bit.. Never been the same on a descent since..

ahsposo 05-27-10 05:08 PM

Amen.

ahsposo 05-27-10 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 10876426)
And this is why I descend like a married man with kids - wait a minute - I am a married man with kids!

I, too, have that baggage. It's why I like to descend as fast as possible and continue to pay for life and accident insurance.

Now if I could get back to a mountain...

kr32 05-27-10 08:01 PM

+1 nodoubt.
you are indeed lucky

NOS88 05-27-10 08:08 PM

Bikes can get a wee bit jittery when the rubber goes at that speed. Gald you didn't go down. But that's not near as scary as getting on a school bus filled with "ladies".

yrrej 05-27-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 10877582)
Bikes can get a wee bit jittery when the rubber goes at that speed. Gald you didn't go down. But that's not near as scary as getting on a school bus filled with "ladies".

I think I would have happily rode in the back of a garbage truck to escape a 10 mile
walk to get home... ( and two ladies don't count as a bus full :D

Jerry

byte_speed 05-28-10 06:51 AM

Glad the OP's event ended well.

I had a similar incident that also ended well and it was the front tire that went. I hit a broken beer bottle at about 30 mph with explosive results. Luckily the road was completely straight and I got it stopped with only minor staining of my padded shorts. After I stopped I found that the tire was cut nearly completely in half with only the beads and a bit of rubber holding it together.

NOS88 05-28-10 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by yrrej (Post 10877731)
I think I would have happily rode in the back of a garbage truck to escape a 10 mile
walk to get home... ( and two ladies don't count as a bus full :D

Jerry

I don't know; I think it depends on who the two ladies are. ;)

Pat 05-28-10 10:22 AM

Yeah, I think a front flat especially a fast deflation at 50 miles per hour would have resulted in a crash. I don't even want to contemplate crashing at 50 mph and using my hide on the road surface as a sort of impromtu brake pad.

Cone Wrench 05-28-10 11:35 AM

Did it happen something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

ahsposo 05-28-10 02:15 PM

Or something like this?

rumrunn6 06-03-10 01:33 PM

do you really want to be going that fast?

that actor is well known. what is that clip from?

yrrej 06-03-10 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10907975)
do you really want to be going that fast?

Well, it is a rush...

It is about the only time that my 212 pounds has any use with respect to biking.
Going down that hill is like being shot out of a rocket, no pedaling required.

My children have suggested that a seventy plus grandpa might need be a
little more careful.

Jerry

rumrunn6 06-03-10 02:08 PM

I like going fast too. I just can't imagine that fast, or any road that speed would be safe on. I have trouble taking any corrective/evasive action at 30 mph. you're a 212 lb 70 yr old going 50 mph downhill? seriously? I'd like to see that.

yrrej 06-03-10 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10908177)
I like going fast too. I just can't imagine that fast, or any road that speed would be safe on. I have trouble taking any corrective/evasive action at 30 mph. you're a 212 lb 70 yr old going 50 mph downhill? seriously? I'd like to see that.

Ok, you can replay the ride yourself...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34742443

The hill is the little 'v' near the end of the ride

rumrunn6 06-04-10 04:51 AM

interesting display. sorry I'm not familiar with how to "play" it. do i click a button or something?

so your bike computer/gps records your ride including all those stats? pretty amazing

I thought gps were not accurate for judging speed on steep hills up or down because they rely on flat linear measurements - not sure if I'm explaining myself well. how is your speed measured? by gps or with an on-bike sensor?

yrrej 06-04-10 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10911073)
interesting display. sorry I'm not familiar with how to "play" it. do i click a button or something?

so your bike computer/gps records your ride including all those stats? pretty amazing

I thought gps were not accurate for judging speed on steep hills up or down because they rely on flat linear measurements - not sure if I'm explaining myself well. how is your speed measured? by gps or with an on-bike sensor?

There show be a 'play' label/button towards the upper right side of the display, click it.

I have a sensor attached to left rear chain stay. The sensor is used for cadence and
speed calculations. There is also an 'altimeter' in the device.

The garmin will even give your position on a map shown in the display as you ride.

rumrunn6 06-04-10 07:19 AM

oh man, that is SICK! in a good way :) :thumb:

gotta get me one of those. it would be funny to hear some audio during the playback - like hearing you grunting uphill or screaming downhill ... hahaha

anyway - thanks for the explanations