User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Root River area info!

We're going to try to get to the Root River area again this year (had to abort last year). Need to know a couple things- we'll be up there may 31-June 4. we just got over the black fly season down here, don't want to drive 10 hours to find another. How will the bugs be?

Thinking about staying in Lanesboro, and doing out and backs. Recommendations for lodging? I can find a Hampton 30 miles away, but would really like to stay in town.

Thanks!
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not ask the "locals" in the appropriate regional subforum?
    Not sure where Root River is -- maybe here? -->http://www.bikeforums.net/great-lakes/
    or here? --> http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ountain-Plains
    Last edited by RonH; 05-28-10 at 02:37 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    why not ask the "locals" in the appropriate regional subforum?
    Not sure where Root River is -- maybe here? -->http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=233
    or here? --> http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ountain-Plains
    Thanks, but I know there's several folks here familiar with/in the area. If this fails, then I'll hit the regional forum.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been there twice. Really love the area. Don't know about the bugs this time of year.

There are several places to stay in Lanesboro.
    http://www.lanesboro.com/lanesboro-lodging-main.php

There's a bike shop right in Lanesboro. You could call them about the bugs.
    http://www.lanesboro.com/BusinessDetail.php?id=110

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might check this out. Supposed to have info about facilities on the trail.

http://www.rootrivertrail.org/
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, we start tomorrow, but the weather forcasts are not looking good. So, if we break the trail system up into 4 pieces:
    Peterson to Houston
    Peterson to isinours
    Preston to fountain
    Preston to harmony

what order would you do them in knowing you could be rained out at any time?
    Want to maximize scenic value.
    We'll ride all of them if weather cooperates, but it ain't lookin good for the second day on...
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 05-30-10 at 06:49 PM.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Preston to Harmony section has some healthy hills, up to about 8% to 9% in places. Likewise for the Rushford to Houston section. Harmony is a nice town, my 2nd favorite in that area.

The towns past Peterson are rather boring (read that Rushford and Houston).

The trail from Preston to Rushford is relatively flat. Very pretty though, at least to Peterson it is.

The town of Lanesboro is the jewel of the trail. Very nice. Art gallery, playhouse, nice stores, ice cream shops, some good restaurants.

I enjoy the easy ride from Lanesboro to Preston and back. About 20 miles and very scenic along the river. Doesn't take too long though, so it's not a workout. Then you ride to Whalen and eat pie, also quite scenic.

The ride up to Fountain, from isinours, is a rail-grade uphill. Running about 2% to 3% for 5 to 6 miles. Nearly all that steady uphill grade. Nice ride though. The ride back is a blast, all downhill.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-30-10 at 10:31 PM.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Root River= Wow!

DSCN0210a..JPGDSCN0212..jpgDSCN0208a..jpgP1000042a..jpgP1000055a..jpg153221[/ATTACH]P1000035a..jpgP1000052a..jpgP1000046a..jpgDSCN0210a..JPG153217[/ATTACH]DSCN0208a..jpgP1000042a..jpgP1000055a..jpgP1000031a..jpg

I was just there last week and concur that Lanesboro is the jewel of the system and hands down the place to stay... the Green Gables Motel was where we stayed and it was very nice for $97 including taxes. Have breakfast at the Lanesboro Chat & Chew. No bugs as of last weekend. The hills are on the ends of the trail, i.e. going up the last few miles to Harmony and on the other end to Houston. And up to Fountain as TB said. As you go the final five miles or so to Harmony or Houston there is less shade to go with the hills, which are curvy and you cannot see the end and they are blind coming back downhill... so use caution.

Round trip Lanesboro to Harmony is about 46 miles and Lanesboro to Houston is about 63 miles. There is a very good restaurant (I forget the name) right where the trail comes in to Lanesboro coming from Preston/Isenour. It has an open deck right on the river by the trail bridge.... and a martini bar upstairs. The rides in either direction from Lanesboro are about the same aesthetically...all of it is good. (FYI Lanesboro to Houston to Harmony and back to Lanesboro is 110 miles if you are feeling frisky.)

Here's a pic or two... you should have a blast! (A 50+ gathering there might be fun sometime.)

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/st...onypreston.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billydonn; 05-31-10 at 12:29 AM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow is right! Rode from Preston to Peterson and back today (boss said it was time to quit). Had pie Carmel apple ala mode and blackberry cobbler, but pics are on camera, not phone. Spectacular weather, not a lot of traffic. More tomorrow if weather cooperates.

edit- found the business center computer at the hotel- no SD card reader though.
    No bugs to speak of, but lots of squirrels and chipmonks.
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 05-31-10 at 03:34 PM.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Great pies at Village square in Fountain and Village square in harmony
    the two resturants are run by cousins

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellphinus View Post
    Wow is right! Rode from Preston to Peterson and back today (boss said it was time to quit). Had pie Carmel apple ala mode and blackberry cobbler, but pics are on camera, not phone. Spectacular weather, not a lot of traffic. More tomorrow if weather cooperates.

edit- found the business center computer at the hotel- no SD card reader though.
    No bugs to speak of, but lots of squirrels and chipmonks.
    As I recall there is lots of bird life too... and lots of deer between Preston and Harmony. Sounds like you have ridden the non-hilly sections so far (finger wag goes here). . You are staying in either Preston or Peterson I take it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Suggestion: get off the trail at Lanesboro and ride around the town a little. Lots of nifty B&Bs. Coming into Lanesboro from Preston the nice restaurant, Riverside on the Root, is immediately on the right just after you cross the long bridge.

Looking forward to your pictures!

http://www.riversideontheroot.com/
    Last edited by billydonn; 05-31-10 at 07:23 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preston to harmony wins (for me, so far). Peterson to Houston tomorrow.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the last two pieces today. Fountain to isinours junction- was downhill all the way, literally didn't have to pedal, the ride back would make a great training ride. Wife said she was done riding for the week after that (not because of difficulty, she hasn't been riding since mid April), So I got to ride Peterson go Houston alone. Went off and forgot my computer, phone and camera. Since it was mostly flat, and not especially scenic ( nice quiet woods forost of the way, some along the river, some along the road), I just got into a rythm and went. Finished it in just under an hour, we loaded up, and are in Door County, Wi now.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billydonn and I were just there. I will be in Lanesboro again next week and we have made several vacations there.
    It all depends of what you want.
    I need 50 to 100 miles of biking per day to be happy. It is my daily exercise.
    Lanesbury to Fountain is an easy ride of less than 30 miles.
    Lanesbury to Harmony is a more challenging ride of less than 50 miles.
    Lanesboro to Houston is relatively easy with about 65 miles.
    Green Gables is a motel in town. Pretty good and reasonable.
    There are a few good restaurants in town and 2 bars.
    All in all a charming town for biking, eating, drinking, fishing, rafting, boating and hiking.