Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My home-made bike w e-bay no-name CF frame -- I love It!

So I bought a carbon fiber MTB frame from China on E-bay. I had researched it a little and found that serious MTBers (which I am not) have been using these frames with no problem. I was out to built a hybrid, not a serious off-road bike. Frame, CF seat post, head set and CF handle bars just over $400! I took parts off of an entry-level Giant hardtail and swapped around some other parts I had weighing stuff as I went. The CF frame does, indeed, seem to absorb bumps remarkably well, so I swapped the tires for faster 26 x 1.25 at 80-90 psi. The bike handles potholes and going over curbs nicely even with the fork locked out. Last of all, I had to have my favorite sign artist decorate it, which is why I didn't post a picture sooner. I have a CF road frame on order from the same dude in China and will cannibalize a couple of other bikes to build a flat bar with CF fork that will be even a little lighter and faster.

Here it is:

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really cool Don. I like the flames!
    Looks like you have a magic shine - do you like it?
    I found it has been a really great headlamp.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Really cool Don. I like the flames!
    Looks like you have a magic shine - do you like it?
    I found it has been a really great headlamp.
    The Magicshine kicks ass! Have to say, when we come back on our Thurs. night ride we have a short stretch on the Town Lake hike and bike trail. A lot of joggers coming the other way will cuss you out unless you turn the light down.

I think they should just avoid looking into it.

I can't wait to get the road bike frame! Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Carbon-Road...item3f001a20e9

Regardless of if I am saving money or not, building my own custom s**t is infinitely more satisfying than buying a ready-made bike as far as I am concerned.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Don. It that your garage? It looks huge and clean too. A lift as well.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    The Magicshine kicks ass!
    For sure!
    The first night I had it I went out to the local ice cream shop to buy a 1/2 gal and on the way home I heard some kids on the side walk say - "was that a motor cycle?" referring to the brightness of the lamp. It was the MS that allowed me to keep doing my 6AM ride up until the first snow in December and to pick up when the ice was out in late March.

BTW - cool road frame - are you going to have it painted the same way as the other one?
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking ride and very distinctive. Hope you get many happy miles on it. Sounds like you found a good source for frames.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Looks good Don. It that your garage? It looks huge and clean too. A lift as well.
    That is Don's Automotive www.donsautomotive.com which supports my hobbies and buys groceries. Maybe even retirement some distant day! Yes that was one of our lifts in the background. The youngsters were well caught up with the cars so they had the shop pretty clean at the time.

I have a smaller shop at home which has a lift also. That is primarily for the 1/4 mile dirt oval track racing hobby

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    For sure!
    The first night I had it I went out to the local ice cream shop to buy a 1/2 gal and on the way home I heard some kids on the side walk say - "was that a motor cycle?" referring to the brightness of the lamp. It was the MS that allowed me to keep doing my 6AM ride up until the first snow in December and to pick up when the ice was out in late March.

BTW - cool road frame - are you going to have it painted the same way as the other one?
    Close to the same. Smaller tubes will make lettering harder.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good looking job Don. How about a clue as to the seller's ebay shop name.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Good looking job Don. How about a clue as to the seller's ebay shop name.
    Here is the one I used: http://myworld.ebay.com/bikebicycle9...MEFSX:SELLERID

There are others. Just search carbon fiber bike frame on ebay.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of rides do you plan for this "Don's".
    Ride your Ride!!

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    What kind of rides do you plan for this "Don's".
    Yesterday I put 50 miles on it just wandering around wonderfully empty city streets. My riding is urban. Two things I look for: steep hills to climb, interesting alleyways. No serious off-road, but I do go on the local park trails.

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, cool paint. I've seen these frames for sale on EBAY and often wondered about them. Let us know how your road bike turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa! Decal scheme almost comes close to the famous Centurion Iron Man puke purple and yellow paint! Head tube extender makes me think the frame is too small. Other than that, looks nice.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Whoa! Decal scheme almost comes close to the famous Centurion Iron Man puke purple and yellow paint! Head tube extender makes me think the frame is too small. Other than that, looks nice.
    No decals -- I had it painted. The frame might be small, but it feels really good to me. I like my bars up high.

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    So I bought a carbon fiber MTB frame from China on E-bay. I had researched it a little and found that serious MTBers (which I am not) have been using these frames with no problem. I was out to built a hybrid, not a serious off-road bike. Frame, CF seat post, head set and CF handle bars just over $400! I took parts off of an entry-level Giant hardtail and swapped around some other parts I had weighing stuff as I went. The CF frame does, indeed, seem to absorb bumps remarkably well, so I swapped the tires for faster 26 x 1.25 at 80-90 psi. The bike handles potholes and going over curbs nicely even with the fork locked out. Last of all, I had to have my favorite sign artist decorate it, which is why I didn't post a picture sooner. I have a CF road frame on order from the same dude in China and will cannibalize a couple of other bikes to build a flat bar with CF fork that will be even a little lighter and faster.

Here it is:
    Got my SECOND e-bay CF frame. I built up a flat bar road bike with it. About 50 miles on it so far. Feels great. There is a MEGA difference in how it absorbs potholes etc. compared to the same wheels and tires on the Dawes aluminum bike I had been riding occasionally. I will post pictures after the artist does his thing.

Don in Austin