Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a Great Ride yesterday

As a relatively new cyclist I'm still growing and learning. When I started two summers ago I was always the slowest and weakest rider. Frankly riding wasn't a lot of fun because I was always working just to keep people from waiting too long for me.

But others encouraged me to keep at it. Yesterday in the group I started with no one had to wait on me. Best of all it was my turn to encourage another to keep at it.

Oh, I'm still slow and I'm strictly not a competition rider. Nor will I ever be a competition rider.

But, I had fun; helped others to have fun and enjoyed the day. What could be better?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post

But, I had fun; helped others to have fun and enjoyed the day. What could be better?
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you.

I had a great ride also - saw a coiled rattler in the middle of the bike path, and finished with some lap swimming. ABout 30 miles.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuk! I about freaked when I say a bull snake stretching most of the way across Platte River trail down by C-470. A rattler would have done me in I think. We don't have snakes here so they are strange, fearsome creatures to me.

By the way. What do you do when you meet a poisnous creature like this on the trail?
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 05-31-10 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add question
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    Jesus, Conan the Barbarian? In the 50 + forum? The only possible excuse for this is that Arnie is getting old like the rest of us.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way. What do you do when you meet a poisnous creature like this on the trail?
    My advice would be to go in the opposite direction.

Today I came upon a humongus turtle in the middle of the road. I'm not sure why it startled me so much. I was pretty sure I could out-sprint him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuk! I about freaked when I say a bull snake stretching most of the way across Platte River trail down by C-470. A rattler would have done me in I think. We don't have snakes here so they are strange, fearsome creatures to me.

Thry can only strike about 1/2 of their length. They are coiled because they are nervopus, scared, frightened. Give them plenty of room. They are not aggressive, and you will be fine skirting a couple/three feet around them.

This is the 3rd rattler I have seen on the Cherry Creek Trail. I see them in the foothills on hiking trails, also.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter how fit you think you are when you start riding- It takes a couple of years before you gain Bike fitness. So watch out- If you progress as you have done- then you will be the one waiting for the rest of the group to catch up.

And on snakes- We only have one nasty one in the UK and they are not ones to be frightened of. You rarely see them as they hear you first and get out of your way long before you may see them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    My advice would be to go in the opposite direction.

Today I came upon a humongus turtle in the middle of the road. I'm not sure why it startled me so much. I was pretty sure I could out-sprint him.
    I saw a baby woodchuck scamper across the trail today and he was soooo adorable! The only thing was that he didn't so much scamper as waddle
    and I was praying that he would make across before my wheel got too close. I would have had to live with that for the rest of my days.