Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

seeking n+1 advice Trek 2.1/Allez Elite/Cannondale Synapse

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

I've been shopping for a new bike for a couple of weeks and thus far I've been most impressed with the Trek 2.1. I've also looked at the Giant Defy2 (not impressed, but maybe I should have ridden the Defy1?), the Specialized allez Elite, (easy ride, but it felt a little heavy) and the Cannondale Synapse 5 (pretty nice, but somehow not as thrilling as the Trek). I thought about the Cannondale CAAD 9.6, but the LBS guy said he thought that for long distances, the geometry was too tight, so I haven't ridden it.

Of the bikes I've ridden, I liked the Trek 2.1 the best. It just felt like more of a road rocket. . BUT.... I haven't ridden any of the bikes more than 15 miles and I am looking for a bike that will be comfortable for a century. At 15 miles, the Trek felt fine - actually it felt great (except the seat, but I'll definitely upgrade that to something more comfortable)

So should I buy the bikes that didn't seem quite as exciting, but maybe will be more comfortable in the long haul ? Or should I go back and see if the LBS will let me do a 50 mile test ride on the Trek? Or should I just go with what thrills me most and buy the Trek?

I know that nobody can make this decision for me, but I value your collective opinions.
Old 06-06-10, 12:33 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is more to comfort on a bike for distance rides. Most of the frames feel similar on fit and geometry but personal preferences come into the choice of a frame and then there is set up. I have 3 bikes that I have used for long rides and they are a Giant OCR- Giant TCR-C and a Boreas Ignis. All can do distance but I use a certain type of wheel when doing over 60 miles. Mine are handbuilt 105 hubs- Mavic CXP33 rims-36 DB spokes And the important bit is that they are laced with a X2 lacing pattern. I do not use the Radially spoked wheels that are very stiff with no give in them.

The OCR is not ridden often now but it is a bit on the heavy side and the components are a bit low. Sora is not as smooth as 105 or Ultegra and it is a bit small for me. It has done several long rides and even got me up a few slopes in the Alpes on a holiday. The Giant TCR is a C.F.Frame and I know everyone says that C.F. will give a compliant ride. Not all do. It did take me a while to set this bike up to even ride well on short rides and this is where I realised that stiff frames and stiff wheels with a lightweight rider does not always work. Hence the Handbuilt wheels. This has turned into my bike of choice for distance rides and has a triple crankset fitted to make slopes easier.

B3..jpg TCR..jpg

But if I want comfort- and performance -it is the Boreas. This bike works and is lightweight aluminium and Ultegra groupset.--Including the wheels This is my bike of choice for rides up to 60 miles and I have done century rides on it- but it is not set up for long rides. I pay for it the next day with back ache. The main reason being as you can see from the last pic. I can ride both bikes easily and they are both set up for me on fit,but as you can see- Boreas has one major difference in set up. Those bars are just a bit too low for Distance riding- but ideal for shorter rides.

B2..jpg B12..jpg

So if you are thinking of a bike for distance riding think of a bit more than the bike in the shop. Think about the wheels- the ride they will give and the quality of them. Think about the gearing that is on the bike. Not saying you need low gearing unless plenty of hills are involved but 42 x 21 as your lowest gear is going to hurt by the end of a long ride.And think about the setup. Riding with your head between your knees is not comfortable after 60 miles. The bike does not have to top of the range but there are certain things to look at- to save some major expense at a later date.

Spike Milligan