Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Slow Down and Smell the Roses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

All right, at 14 mph AVS perhaps "slowing down" seems like an odd expression to those of you who average 18 - 25 mph. But for my age group its a fact of life for most people who have not spent a good part of their lives cycling.

In any case, yesterday I decided I would just ride for fun and the result was very rewarding. For the first time I noticed a field where three young goats were gamboling with such obvious enjoyment that it reminded me of our dear departed little Bichon Frise, the most lovable dog in the world.

Then, on the way home I noticed for the first time the smell of the island roses that line the shore where I ride; one of Maine's treasures still free for the enjoyment of all.

Decided to take a side trip on the way home down a quiet road surrounded by a conservation area. When I stopped for a swig of water and a nibble from an energy bar, the silence except for the birds and the quiet rustling of the pines was like a health tonic infusing me with the enjoyment of life. There certainly are many ways to enjoy cycling. Keeping up with the 30 somethings on the Thursday night group rides is enjoyable but so is just going out alone for a quiet leisurely ride.
Old 06-06-10, 08:16 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Urban traffic doesn't let me slow down much, as well as when I'm on shopping/errand runs, but I do enjoy the scenery much more when the family and I are together on occasional leisure weekend rides.
Old 06-06-10, 08:33 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
In any case, yesterday I decided I would just ride for fun and the result was very rewarding.
That reminds me of the 45 miler I did a month or so ago. Stopped and had a leisurely lunch on a bench in the shade in front of a small town library. Watched a zillion cyclers go past in a hurry and stop at the cafe across the street. So much hyperactivity over there. It was marvelous sight to see. Lunch was good.
Old 06-06-10, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If I slowed down any more I'm afraid that I'd fall over.
Old 06-06-10, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
A major portion of the allure of riding for me is enjoying and absorbing what I see along the way and using the time to travel in any direction I want to go.
Old 06-06-10, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I rode the Tour De Pepin yesterday and none of the other riders I talked to noticed the cat sitting on a fence post watching all the riders go by.
Old 06-06-10, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Almost all of my riding is like that.
Old 06-06-10, 11:09 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
There appear to be two broad categories of riders, those who ride for speed and those who do not. the former are continuously trying to improve their time, keeping an eye to cadence, heart rate, average speed and so on. The latter generally just cruise along, sometimes going fast and pumping up hills, sometimes getting off the bicycle to enjoy a smoothie or to sit on park bench to enjoy the view. How one rides matters not, though the speedsters have less in common with the recreational cyclists than the different types of recreational cyclists have with each other. I frequently go very slowly, just enjoying being outside, much as I would if I were out for a walk (I never walk for speed). Sometimes I get off the bike to sit on a bench or to buy some refreshment in a store. sometimes I pedal hard to go fast, sometimes I pedal slowly to go slow. Never do I allow the tyranny of numbers as displayed by my computer to govern how I ride. In fact, the only functions on the computer that I pay attention to are the clock and distance travelled, mainly out of curiosity. Sometimes I look at average speed or max speed, but again out of curiosity. It's all cycling so it's all good.
Old 06-06-10, 11:20 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
After work, I regularly smell the nightly aroma of restaurant/residential cooking, which makes me speed up to get back to the house for a home cooked meal.
Old 06-06-10, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
There appear to be two broad categories of riders, those who ride for speed and those who do not. the former are continuously trying to improve their time, keeping an eye to cadence, heart rate, average speed and so on. The latter generally just cruise along, sometimes going fast and pumping up hills, sometimes getting off the bicycle to enjoy a smoothie or to sit on park bench to enjoy the view. How one rides matters not, though the speedsters have less in common with the recreational cyclists than the different types of recreational cyclists have with each other. I frequently go very slowly, just enjoying being outside, much as I would if I were out for a walk (I never walk for speed). Sometimes I get off the bike to sit on a bench or to buy some refreshment in a store. sometimes I pedal hard to go fast, sometimes I pedal slowly to go slow. Never do I allow the tyranny of numbers as displayed by my computer to govern how I ride. In fact, the only functions on the computer that I pay attention to are the clock and distance travelled, mainly out of curiosity. Sometimes I look at average speed or max speed, but again out of curiosity. It's all cycling so it's all good.
I agree. I mostly rode slow when I was young. Just enjoyed being on the bike. I ride mostly "fast" now, but it doesn't mean that I enjoy it any less or take in fewer views. I actually get more views than if I was riding slower. I have a couple of very standard routes were I invariably stop at select spots to enjoy the panorama. I think that a lot of folks pigeonhole other people, and themselves, when it comes to most things. Fast vs. Slow; Red vs. Blue; Argyle vs. Plaid, etc.

One of the reasons I use my Garmin is to record rides so I can do them again. Another is to mark spots of particular interest, beauty, etc. on long routes. A number of times I've replicated portions of routes later in the day driving in my convertible with my wife. I've seen many beautiful spots out in the NJ and PA countryside that I'd never have found just driving around in the car.

I just ride for fun every day.
Old 06-06-10, 12:07 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I see what you mean, but think the stereotypes are flawed. I belong to both categories, and maybe more than two. I ride for different purposes. When commuting I'll go as fast as I can, both to maximise the exercise and minimise the time. And sometimes when out riding for fun I'll deliberately "train" - looking to at least maintain and maybe improve my level of performance. I do this not because I'm much interested in comparing myself to others, but because I want to remain as fit as I can for as long as I can, and it's nice to stay quick enough to be able to ride in a group occasionally without everyone having to wait for me. But on other occasions I'll just potter along. For example, on Friday I rode fifty miles with a friend who is nowhere near as strong a cyclist as me, and we just had a really nice day, stopping, starting, eating, chatting etc., probably averaging no more then 10 or 12 mph when we were moving and barely making my heart beat faster. And then there's touring - which is what bikes are really for, in my opinion - which can be pretty hard work when you're riding a loaded tourer up a 15% hill but in which speed is absolutely not the point. So I am a different sort of cyclist depending on circumstance, and mood, and purpose...
Old 06-06-10, 08:24 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd have to pick it up to maintain 14 mph.

Doing 12 mph on a recumbent is a really nice way to watch the world slide past.
Old 06-06-10, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
One of the guys on our Tue/Thu rides, 'Bob,' was off the back and struggling to catch back up to the group. And he did, too. Bob, who is 71 years young, explained what his problem was.

"I can't go 20 mph anymore. I'm old."

To which we responded, "Suck it up, you used that excuse last week."

He sucked it up. I think he likes our rides.
Old 06-06-10, 09:09 PM

Bikes: Burley Tosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
I rode the Tour De Pepin yesterday and none of the other riders I talked to noticed the cat sitting on a fence post watching all the riders go by.
Steve - didn't see the cat, where was it?

Ron
Old 06-06-10, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Townie, Kickbike

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't post much, because most people seem to be into what I call "serious" riding. I ride everyday, 10-20 miles, but speed is not a factor for me. I admire people, especially over 50, who ride fast, or do centuries. But I like to smell the roses...and sometimes the French Fries. Leisure riding has been good for my blood pressure, glucose level and my weight. Most of my bikes would need a 20 degree down hill slope to hit 20mph. My riding partner is my best friend and wife. We do have a couple of "old" road bikes for rides over 20 miles. It's good to see that other people ride "To smell the roses"
Here's a few links to bikes I've made and ride.......Try riding some of these for 100 miles........Sometimes 10, feels like 100.

https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...777/001-42.jpg
https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...A777/009-5.jpg
https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...777/001-41.jpg
https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...A777/012-3.jpg
https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...A777/006-4.jpg
My wifes' favorite
https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...777/003-11.jpg

Last edited by KOTA; 06-06-10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 04:52 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm allergic to roses
Old 06-07-10, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I ride alone about 90% of the time. This way I can pick the pace, route, stops, etc. and not worry about what others want. The handful of folks I occasionally ride with are very similar in their approach to cycling. While fitness is a benefit, having adult toys to play with, and getting the thrill of going fast or seeing the sights, one of the biggest reasons I ride is because of the solitude it provides.
Old 06-07-10, 05:28 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
That is quite a collection Kota. Do you own all those rides?
Old 06-07-10, 06:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I maintain very accurate statistics for my riding and consider them crucial to my improved success in bicycling.

The single most important statistic is

Tah dah - -

"Smiles per mile"

Second most important statistic is:

--- well, I guess I am so busy with the first statistic that I haven't any time for any more stats.

Have a great ride, all!!
Old 06-07-10, 06:19 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RochMNTandem
Steve - didn't see the cat, where was it?

Ron
The first hill headed out of Stockholm. Sitting on a guardrail post on the left side of the road. Were you the tandem with the MN Cyclist jerseys
Old 06-07-10, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Sometimes riding slow is bad.

Yesterday I was riding the Red Rover (my single bike recumbent which I'm still getting acclimated to) on the Katy trail. I came up behind two attractive young women who were walking side-by side. That wouldn't have been a problem but there was a bicycling couple coming from the other direction. I decided to slow down and let the other couple pass first. They did the same. I slowed more, so did they. Did I mention I'm still getting acclimated to the recumbent? Can you say Tombay? If I had zig zagged swiftly and rudely past both couples this never would have happened. Fortunately I fell on the right (relatively good) side and didn't reinjure the elbow.

Did I mention there were TWO attractive young women witnesses to this incident? I'm putting in for Oak Leaf Clusters on my Club tombay membership.
Old 06-07-10, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
All right, at 14 mph AVS perhaps "slowing down" seems like an odd expression to those of you who average 18 - 25 mph. But for my age group its a fact of life for most people who have not spent a good part of their lives cycling.

In any case, yesterday I decided I would just ride for fun and the result was very rewarding. For the first time I noticed a field where three young goats were gamboling with such obvious enjoyment that it reminded me of our dear departed little Bichon Frise, the most lovable dog in the world.

Then, on the way home I noticed for the first time the smell of the island roses that line the shore where I ride; one of Maine's treasures still free for the enjoyment of all.

Decided to take a side trip on the way home down a quiet road surrounded by a conservation area. When I stopped for a swig of water and a nibble from an energy bar, the silence except for the birds and the quiet rustling of the pines was like a health tonic infusing me with the enjoyment of life. There certainly are many ways to enjoy cycling. Keeping up with the 30 somethings on the Thursday night group rides is enjoyable but so is just going out alone for a quiet leisurely ride.
I discovered, years ago that one of the best photography platforms has 2 wheels and is pedal powered. Even the times I am not carrying a camera, I still prefer to go a little slower and keep an eye out for subjects.....
Old 06-07-10, 07:42 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about all the wonderful floral aromas to be enjoyed this time of year.

My rides recently have featured the lovely olfactory additions of tea olive, magnolia, honeysuckle and gardenia.

Sure is a nice addition to the smell of low tide marsh and steaming asphalt.
Old 06-07-10, 08:14 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Even the times I am not carrying a camera, I still prefer to go a little slower and keep an eye out for subjects.....
Verbs are good too. Verbs make good subjects.
Old 06-07-10, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
A major portion of the allure of riding for me is enjoying and absorbing what I see along the way and using the time to travel in any direction I want to go.
Miss Kenton says it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.