Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lumpy bits-and breakfast.

OK- Left on my own this morning as the wife was out early so time to get a few miles on the TCR. Couple of changes made to set up and Lowering bars was the main one. This was done after the last ride feeling a bit sluggish and after comparing to Boreas- The bars were lowered. The short ride last week seemed to work but proof was needed.

The TCR also has a triple fitted so out for the short sharp steep slopes up North of where I live. All country lanes and left here- 2nd right there and you know the sort of ride. Very few cars seen and not one cycle. This is an area where unless you know where you are going- You don't get there.

But those lumpy bits. There is no flat bits anywhere. You are either going up or coming down. Mainly going up--In fact I can't remember much about the down bits but there must have been some as I got 38mph coasting somewhere. I'll put the pics of the Slopes in one spot. Unless you like greenery- they all look the same but 95% of the ride looked like this

Dhillagain..jpg Dhill2..jpg Dhill3..jpg Dhill1..jpg

There were a few open spaces and one was of the Church at Old Heathfield. And guess what? It was at the top of a hill. Only a short one but Granny was required for it.

Dchurch..jpg Dtochurch..jpg

But time for something to eat. I had been out for 3 hours now and The only cafe I knew was open around here is a bikers cafe. Motorbikes in fact but I did feel a bit outmotored when I arrived. Bikes have never interested me except from the mechanical side but there were a few that I felt like taking home with me. Especially after 35 miles and legs that were feeling like jelly.

Dcycle..jpg Doutclassed..jpg

But Breakfast-I was Ravenous. Had the Big Brekkie.

Dbrekkie..jpg

Only had 5 miles to go now so what the h*ll. I needed the fat and the protein and probably the carbs. But that 5 miles back- finally on a down slope- was taken very slow and although the bike felt fine---I felt heavy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great ride in good weather. Wind coming in here off of Lake Ontario and very humid (+95%) with a Dew Point in the upper 50's and it's fog as thick as pea soup!

All good rides seem to involve food, don't they.

Thanks for sharing.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most if not all of my rides have lumpy bits. As my young'n says - "Its Northern NY".
    Your weather looks great - we have rain...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down in Louisiana for a few days, Stapfam. You inspired me to ride this morning. I took the camera on my ride along the bayou, but I didn't take any pics. I rode past a lot of food, corn, sugar cane, soybeans, and all of the tasty critters which live in the bayou. Of course, there are critters in that bayou that would find me or you tasty as well. The green tunnels in your pics are similar to my ride today in many places; however, we don't have hills down here.

I found that I'm not accustomed to heat and humidity like I was when I lived down here full time. Triple digit heat indices for the last two days, and my rides have been more taxing than they would have been for rides of similar length in northwest Arkansas even with the hills up there.

I'm taking it easy for the rest of the day. The son is going to burn some meat on the BBQ. I've expended enough calories in the last two days that I can afford to splurge a little.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    OK- Left on my own this morning as the wife was out early so time to get a few miles on the TCR. Couple of changes made to set up and Lowering bars was the main one. This was done after the last ride feeling a bit sluggish and after comparing to Boreas- The bars were lowered. The short ride last week seemed to work but proof was needed.

The TCR also has a triple fitted so out for the short sharp steep slopes up North of where I live. All country lanes and left here- 2nd right there and you know the sort of ride. Very few cars seen and not one cycle. This is an area where unless you know where you are going- You don't get there.

But those lumpy bits. There is no flat bits anywhere. You are either going up or coming down. Mainly going up--In fact I can't remember much about the down bits but there must have been some as I got 38mph coasting somewhere. I'll put the pics of the Slopes in one spot. Unless you like greenery- they all look the same but 95% of the ride looked like this

Dhillagain..jpg Dhill2..jpg Dhill3..jpg Dhill1..jpg

There were a few open spaces and one was of the Church at Old Heathfield. And guess what? It was at the top of a hill. Only a short one but Granny was required for it.

Dchurch..jpg Dtochurch..jpg

But time for something to eat. I had been out for 3 hours now and The only cafe I knew was open around here is a bikers cafe. Motorbikes in fact but I did feel a bit outmotored when I arrived. Bikes have never interested me except from the mechanical side but there were a few that I felt like taking home with me. Especially after 35 miles and legs that were feeling like jelly.

Dcycle..jpg Doutclassed..jpg

But Breakfast-I was Ravenous. Had the Big Brekkie.

Only had 5 miles to go now so what the h*ll. I needed the fat and the protein and probably the carbs. But that 5 miles back- finally on a down slope- was taken very slow and although the bike felt fine---I felt heavy.
    Stapfam, Your pictures are gorgeous and your report entertaining, however I am posting here because that is the cutest avatar EVER!

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Stapfam, Your pictures are gorgeous and your report entertaining, however I am posting here because that is the cutest avatar EVER!
    Sorry about the Avatar but I used the Union Jack Flag for years. On 50+ I was the only one using it but it did seem selfish to hog our national flag for any newcomers. Hence the change to the meringue to try to keep people focussed on the Pie ideal.

But with a few recent problems- I decided to put a happy face to my postings. Not exactly a smile but it is the biggest grin possible. What you can't see is the mouth -Full of sweetcorn eaten off the cob- and the chin covered in Butter. The definition just isn't good enough for that.

But yesterdays ride- The lowering of the bars worked on the TCR. At no time was I in any discomfort and the bike just wanted to go.

But today---- My legs feel like lead. Those short sharp rises have obviously taken it out of me. Talking to another rider today- He does not ride that area. Too many "Hills" too much shade and not enough flat areas where he can get up speed. And yea-- He runs a 53/42 and11/21 on his bike- no wonder he doesn't like the area.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a wonderful area to me! But then I prefer the lumpy bits to the flat every time. Lovely scenery too, and it makes me want to ride in rural U.K. even more.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief, Stapfam! If I ate a breakfast like that I'd either be the happiest man around, or my heart would explode!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Good grief, Stapfam! If I ate a breakfast like that I'd either be the happiest man around, or my heart would explode!
    Come on----I had been on the bike for 3 hours or so and I was starving.

Paid for it afterwards though.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good grief I can't believe that breakfast, that's 3 meals in one! ever consider just a couple scrambled eggs and toast?

can anyone calculate the calories in that meal? I wouldn't be able to bike a single mile after eating that.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that breakfast wasn't intended to feed a family of four? Good grief, I gained two pounds just looking at the picture!

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    breakfast today: granola bar; 1/2 chicken cutlet; 1/2 portion yogurt; coffee & fruit juice. then I biked 50 minutes to work

Banned.
    My Bikes
    2001 Cannondale R2000 with over 70,000 miles on it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's looks like some sweet riding you have there. As far as the breakfast goes I see beans and toast is still the popular breakfast in England.

I worked in Harpenden for a year, (aircraft maintnenance) and each morning all those guys would kill for beans and toast. To this day I can't stand the sight of the stuff...HA!

Sarge

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I think it looks delicious but I just can't fathom actually eating it. doesn't it give you gas?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read the title, I thought you lost your breakfast.
    George

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like in the movie Bridget Jones Diary she mentioned her jiggly bits

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The traditional English breakfast- As we used to have in the Marines when on base.

Large bowl of cereal
    Either a pair of Kippers or Braised Kidneys.
    Then the fry up- Fried egg(s) Bacon, Sausages, Fried tomatoes, Mushrooms and fried bread
    Then a top up with toast and preserves. (Jam- honey-Bovril-Marmalade or Marmite)

Never got onto the Hash Browns as they are too fattenning and sit like lead in the stomach.

But Breakfast over here is not normally as large as this. No-one has time for more than a slice of toast and a coffee but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Sets you in the right frame of mind for 11s's- then lunch- followed by afternoon tea. Dinner is the main meal of the day and followed by supper.

But if you are able to eat all this in a day- Just think of the amount of riding you have to do to lose the calories. There is a motive behind eating well.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the subject title (lumpy bits) referred to the breakfast! I remember having the typical "English Breakfast" when I was in Manchester for the UCI Masters Track Worlds in 1995 and in 2002:

2 eggs, sunny side up
    2 bangers with high cardboard content (hey, this is what I was told!)
    1 cherry tomato sliced in half
    There might have been hash browns, I don't remember!
    2 slices of toast with the quaint teaspoon of jam or marmalade
    Coffee

The B&B also had Kellog's corn flakes for those so inclined. Grrreat!

Worked for me!

Also, on the subject of English food, someone once told me a joke told by the German comedian Uwe Messerschmidt:
    (Related with a thick German Accent)
    "You know, the British have wonderful food, just wonderful.
    And then they cook it!"

I actually quite liked the food there, especially at the pubs. Loved Toad in the Hole. Didn't fancy the Spotted Dick, though...

Luis