Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Biting the Bullet - N+1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/654263-biting-bullet-n-1-a.html)

DnvrFox 06-14-10 02:09 PM

Biting the Bullet - N+1

In another thread I discussed my 12-year-old Specialized Hardrock with the bad wheel.

So, I looked at the wheel, and it had a broken spoke, BUT, it also needed a new cogset, new chain rings and a new chain, and I had no clue how long those other spokes were going to last. Also, the tires were worn to the casings.

So, given everything, and that I do not do any work myself, I went to the bike shop. I had been in contact with a fellow with a 2005 Specialized Rockhopper who wanted $400. However, the LBS had a brand new Rockhopper for just a bit more - so I bought the new Rockhopper (2010 model), upgraded the saddle, kept the tires for now until they need replacing.

My wife wants to mount the old Hardrock on the wall in the basement, as a momento to the 12 years, and the Ride the Rockies I rode on it!!

So, my next job is transferring everything to the new bike - rack, panniers, lights, kickstand, possibly pedals, cage, computer, wedge, etc.

I think I really got my money's worth out of the $300 I spent for the Hardrock, and hope I get the same from the new bike.

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.ourwebs.info/rockhopper.jpg

cranky old dude 06-14-10 02:16 PM

Looks like a wise purchase given all the work your old bike was in want of. I hope you post a pic of it proudly mounted on the wall. Will there be a comemorative plaque beneath it?

Enjoy your new ride!!

I need to stop into the LBS tomorrow to pick up some parts. With all these new bikes showing up in 50+....well, I just hope I can control myself. :innocent:

stapfam 06-14-10 02:22 PM

Think you did right due to the amount that needed spending on it. But Mount the old bike- It will do as spares if required and if you don't like the "New" bike- You can rebuild the old one with all those new bits:innocent:

Tom Bombadil 06-14-10 02:26 PM

Congrats on your new addition! Nice bright colors.

Hope you have a blast with it.

rumrunn6 06-14-10 02:32 PM

sweet! got a pic of the old bike laden with gear?

DnvrFox 06-14-10 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10961641)
sweet! got a pic of the old bike laden with gear?

Not handy - sorry.

NOS88 06-14-10 04:01 PM

Good choice, and I've always like the "bike as art" thing too.

billydonn 06-14-10 11:44 PM

Wow... that is quite a bit different from the other bike you were looking at! Enjoy...

cyclinfool 06-15-10 03:38 AM

Very nice, with all you were looking at in repairs I would have done the same thing. Now - find a good home for the old bike, since you are not a wrencher, pass it along to someone who is and will breath new life into it.

Terrierman 06-15-10 06:40 AM

Pretty cool that you wore a bike out.

Beverly 06-15-10 07:03 AM

Nice looking bike, Denver:thumb:

I hope you get as many miles on this one as you did the last one. Hoping I get another chance to join you on some of these miles:)

BluesDawg 06-15-10 07:44 AM

The Rockhopper is a good basic hardtail and makes for a versatile bike. I am sure you will enjoy it. I still have the frame from the one I raced in 2007. I stripped it to build a bike for my son when I got my Stumpjumper FSR. He is just about big enough now for me to move the components back onto the RH frame so he can ride it for a few more years.

The Hardrock is your bike so you can do what you please, but I would rather see a usable bike go to someone who will use it than to see it hanging on a wall.

BigBlueToe 06-15-10 08:49 AM

If you don't want to work on the old bike, fine. Your choice. But you might find that working on bikes is a relaxing hobby - especially if you have a bike to work on where it doesn't matter so much if you screw something up. If I was you (and I know I'm not) I'd keep the old bike as a project bike and start fixing it up slowly, at your own pace. Each time you come up against a job you don't feel equipped to do, take your time, do some research, and dive in. It's really not that hard. Eventually you may get a nice bike you'll be proud of, and you'll become competant to fix things that may go wrong on your new bike. I've bought old, in-need-of-repair project bikes for the fun of fixing them up, even when I didn't have anyone in mind for them. I find that if I purchase parts bit by bit I don't feel the drain on my budget much - especially if I use Ebay with patience.

Anyway, I like the new bike. I'm a Specialized fan myself. My family has three Rockhoppers, a Stumpjumper, a kids' Hard Rock, and an Allez.

DnvrFox 06-15-10 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe (Post 10965294)
If you don't want to work on the old bike, fine. Your choice. But you might find that working on bikes is a relaxing hobby - especially if you have a bike to work on where it doesn't matter so much if you screw something up. If I was you (and I know I'm not) I'd keep the old bike as a project bike and start fixing it up slowly, at your own pace.

Aarrgghhh!

Save me from the "You oughta be a mechanic" posts!!

HELP!!:cheers:

But, thaks for the interest in my welfare.

stapfam 06-15-10 11:46 AM

You ought to be able to maintain your bikes for rides- Oil the chain- adjust cables to get the gears working right and put air in the tyres. If you can't do that- then it will take less than 12 years to wear out a bike. A Lot Less

But if your mechanicing skills are limited to ride mainetenance and no more- Then leave the bike alone. A friendly LBS is not expensive and they do a better job than you.

DnvrFox 06-15-10 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 10966312)
You ought to be able to maintain your bikes for rides- Oil the chain- adjust cables to get the gears working right and put air in the tyres. If you can't do that- then it will take less than 12 years to wear out a bike. A Lot Less

But if your mechanicing skills are limited to ride mainetenance and no more- Then leave the bike alone. A friendly LBS is not expensive and they do a better job than you.

Now how did we get on this tangent********************????

Let's go back to the "WOW - you got a new bike!" bit.

Tom Bombadil 06-15-10 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 10966336)
Now how did we get on this tangent********************????

Go back and look at your original post. You started it by listing all of the things that needed to be fixed and that you don't work on your bikes.

So you brought it on yourself.

You should have just written ... Hey! Take a look at my new bike!!!

:)

BluesDawg 06-15-10 12:54 PM

Threads are like kids. You do your best to start them out in the right direction, but ultimately you can't really control where they go and how they get there. Just sit back, hope for the best and enjoy the ride. :)

DnvrFox 06-15-10 02:20 PM

You should have just written ... Hey! Take a look at my new bike!!!

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10966693)

Threads are like kids. You do your best to start them out in the right direction, but ultimately you can't really control where they go and how they get there. Just sit back, hope for the best and enjoy the ride. :)

New bike - who needs to get a new bike? You should fix up the old bike and go green. I remember as a kid, I NEVER got a new bike. Think how much happier you would be if you learned the mechanic skills to fix up an old bike. etc., etc.

Beverly 06-15-10 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe (Post 10965294)
But you might find that working on bikes is a relaxing hobby -

This reminds me of girl friends telling me knitting was a relaxing hobby. After a few beginner lessons from them I told them the only thing I wanted to do with those knitting needles was stab one of them:mad: I can change a flat and clean the bike but everything else goes to the bike shop and.....I buy all knitted items:thumb:

DnvrFox 06-15-10 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 10967937)
This reminds me of girl friends telling me knitting was a relaxing hobby. After a few beginner lessons from them I told them the only thing I wanted to do with those knitting needles was stab one of them:mad: I can change a flat and clean the bike but everything else goes to the bike shop and.....I buy all knitted items:thumb:

Ditto for my wife and knitting, and kudos for your comment. I have so many more important things I am involved in, and really too little time. Relaxing - I would end up screaming and throwing the bike out the garage window - except our garage has no windows!

overthehillmedi 06-20-10 09:59 PM

So where is the first ride report on your new steed complete with scenic pictures and of course a photo of the pie?

kr32 06-21-10 04:07 AM

Nice bike, enjoy it as I know you will.
KR