Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: RtR Day 2

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RtR Day 2

Wow! The best way to summarize today is it was probably my most memorable day on a bike ever. We covered 95 miles from Grand Junction to Delta that included a 20 mile climb past Powderhorn Ski Resort and over the Grand Mesa. However the last 35 miles into Delta included a screaming descent where I rarely dropped below 30 mph. I have a bigger gear for descents and for extended periods I would pedal fast and increase my speed from 34 to 38 mph.
    That was a blast. The curves had long radiuses so you could as fast as you'd like.

I was with a really good fast group at the start and we covered the first 40 miles in under 2 hrs. We got a little later start than planned so there were lots of riders already out. I'm sure we passed at least 1000 riders the first 40 miles.

The next 20 miles we climbed up to 11,000 ft. It was cold and overcast with snow on the ground higher up. It was 45 degrees at 9000 ft so it was probably in the high 30's at the top.
    I really felt the altitude in that stretch. Interestingly I would get really lightheaded and dizzy whenever I drank from my water bottle. I was able to go a pace I wanted to ride but just felt a little yucky from time to time. I was prepared for some symptoms but was surprised at how I felt when drinking. I even tried breathing through my nose while drinking but that didn't help. Maybe it was just reaching down to get my bottle?

The first few miles of the descent were painfully cold. However it was so much fun you tended to forget the shivering.

Near the bottom I hooked up with another fella I had ridden with in the early stretch and we hammered to the finish. That was probably not too smart for tomorrow's ride but it was just too much fun not to not go after it.

I've set my tent up near the centerfield wall in the school field we're in. It sure gets warm quickly out in the sun!

I got extremely lucky on a trip into their downtown area. I stopped in a store that had movie popcorn! I got a big box and it was consumed pretty quickly. One of these days I might enter a popcorn eating contest!

Tomorrow is going to be a shorter ride of about 70 miles but it looks to be uphill most of the way. My legs are more tired than yesterday so tomorrow will be a take it easy day.

Funny-there are several ladies that are together in tents around me. One of the ladies apparently lives in the area and got a call from her husband who planned to come by. After hanging up the lady said now I have to socialize with my husband! There is not a lot of privacy in tent city!

Edit: Pictures-I pulled the camera out to get some once in a lifetime photos and got the dreaded batteries exhausted message. I REALLY did do the ride,
    Last edited by jppe; 06-14-10 at 06:43 PM.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am jealous
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to find a downhill like that one. Of course it would require I drive to the top instead of climb to it

Find some batteries for the camera
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to put this ride on my list for the future. Sounds like a load of fun. I would be very interested in seeing how I felt at those elevations.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    I have to put this ride on my list for the future. Sounds like a load of fun. I would be very interested in seeing how I felt at those elevations.
    rtr and next wks btc are 2000 riders you dont need to wait you can still join me on this yrs smaller (500 rider limit) crmbt.com
    aug 1-7

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm... 70 miles mostly uphill. Yes that would be a "take it easy" day for me too! Pictures will assist greatly in making this credible....

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    The next 20 miles we climbed up to 11,000 ft. It was cold and overcast with snow on the ground higher up. It was 45 degrees at 9000 ft so it was probably in the high 30's at the top.
    I really felt the altitude in that stretch.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0624120556.htm
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the same problem drinking on two rides up Mt. Evans and my solution was for about 5 seconds before taking the swig breathe in and out rapidly to add a bit of oxygen and get rid of some co2 then quickly swallow the drink. Follow this by about 5 more seconds of rapid breathing. Worked for me!
    Wiggy wiggy scratch yo yo bang bang

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly enough, that drug is not a prohibited substance. I say go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)