Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-10, 05:58 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RtR Day 2

Wow! The best way to summarize today is it was probably my most memorable day on a bike ever. We covered 95 miles from Grand Junction to Delta that included a 20 mile climb past Powderhorn Ski Resort and over the Grand Mesa. However the last 35 miles into Delta included a screaming descent where I rarely dropped below 30 mph. I have a bigger gear for descents and for extended periods I would pedal fast and increase my speed from 34 to 38 mph.
That was a blast. The curves had long radiuses so you could as fast as you'd like.

I was with a really good fast group at the start and we covered the first 40 miles in under 2 hrs. We got a little later start than planned so there were lots of riders already out. I'm sure we passed at least 1000 riders the first 40 miles.

The next 20 miles we climbed up to 11,000 ft. It was cold and overcast with snow on the ground higher up. It was 45 degrees at 9000 ft so it was probably in the high 30's at the top.
I really felt the altitude in that stretch. Interestingly I would get really lightheaded and dizzy whenever I drank from my water bottle. I was able to go a pace I wanted to ride but just felt a little yucky from time to time. I was prepared for some symptoms but was surprised at how I felt when drinking. I even tried breathing through my nose while drinking but that didn't help. Maybe it was just reaching down to get my bottle?

The first few miles of the descent were painfully cold. However it was so much fun you tended to forget the shivering.

Near the bottom I hooked up with another fella I had ridden with in the early stretch and we hammered to the finish. That was probably not too smart for tomorrow's ride but it was just too much fun not to not go after it.

I've set my tent up near the centerfield wall in the school field we're in. It sure gets warm quickly out in the sun!

I got extremely lucky on a trip into their downtown area. I stopped in a store that had movie popcorn! I got a big box and it was consumed pretty quickly. One of these days I might enter a popcorn eating contest!

Tomorrow is going to be a shorter ride of about 70 miles but it looks to be uphill most of the way. My legs are more tired than yesterday so tomorrow will be a take it easy day.

Funny-there are several ladies that are together in tents around me. One of the ladies apparently lives in the area and got a call from her husband who planned to come by. After hanging up the lady said now I have to socialize with my husband! There is not a lot of privacy in tent city!

Edit: Pictures-I pulled the camera out to get some once in a lifetime photos and got the dreaded batteries exhausted message. I REALLY did do the ride,

Last edited by jppe; 06-14-10 at 06:43 PM.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 06:47 PM   #2
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am jealous
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 07:11 PM   #3
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would love to find a downhill like that one. Of course it would require I drive to the top instead of climb to it

Find some batteries for the camera

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 07:24 PM   #4
NealH 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac
I have to put this ride on my list for the future. Sounds like a load of fun. I would be very interested in seeing how I felt at those elevations.
NealH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 08:22 PM   #5
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealH View Post
I have to put this ride on my list for the future. Sounds like a load of fun. I would be very interested in seeing how I felt at those elevations.
rtr and next wks btc are 2000 riders you dont need to wait you can still join me on this yrs smaller (500 rider limit) crmbt.com
aug 1-7
colorado dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 11:38 PM   #6
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Hmmmm... 70 miles mostly uphill. Yes that would be a "take it easy" day for me too! Pictures will assist greatly in making this credible....
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 11:58 PM   #7
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
The next 20 miles we climbed up to 11,000 ft. It was cold and overcast with snow on the ground higher up. It was 45 degrees at 9000 ft so it was probably in the high 30's at the top.
I really felt the altitude in that stretch.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0624120556.htm
akohekohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 02:30 AM   #8
Stevie47

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant
I've had the same problem drinking on two rides up Mt. Evans and my solution was for about 5 seconds before taking the swig breathe in and out rapidly to add a bit of oxygen and get rid of some co2 then quickly swallow the drink. Follow this by about 5 more seconds of rapid breathing. Worked for me!
Stevie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 05:16 AM   #9
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
Interestingly enough, that drug is not a prohibited substance. I say go for it.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 10:19 AM   #10
rocket88

Bikes:
http://photos.denverpost.com/mediace...ckies-day-2/#2
rocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote