Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-10, 09:07 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've Never Seen a Sign Like This - Have You?

From one of our open space trails - this morning's ride.

DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 09:14 PM   #2
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Some kind of scheme by Wiley? He uses a lot of signs. They don't usually do him much good, tho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-04_wiley-coy .jpg (3.6 KB, 412 views)
Old 06-14-10, 10:22 PM   #3
Louis

Bikes:
Occasionally there's a small article in our local newspaper about encroaching coyotes and warning residents about the safety of their pets. Always makes me wonder"who's encroaching whom?".

I have never seen any kind of sign posted anywhere
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 11:31 PM   #4
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
I need to make up some of those... to keep down the number of dog walkers on the local MUPs!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 03:43 AM   #5
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Interesting - I wonder if they like to chase cyclists like your average dog.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 04:19 AM   #6
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I wonder if they like to chase cyclists like your average dog.
Probably would depend on how hungry they are, they prefer small game but have been known to stalk joggers and work together to bring down elk. On the plus side, Fifi the Poodle is an easier target.
Grillparzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 04:27 AM   #7
prathmann

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Interesting - I wonder if they like to chase cyclists like your average dog.
I've had them run alongside for extended periods - sometimes for over a mile. But they've never run towards me in a threatening manner like many dogs.
prathmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 05:06 AM   #8
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can you carry a .22 pistol in that area?
Old 06-15-10, 05:53 AM   #9
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Aggressor, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus
That looks like it is in the Gunbarl Co area. Yes I would pay heed to sign like that. Also look out for rattle snakes. black widow spiders
Jamesw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:13 AM   #10
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
They have been known to attack people in an open space about 10 miles from here. The open space is on the Tallman Gulch Trail in Parker. Last summer, I saw a coyote-spooked horse buck a rider off into the creek.

Yes, I have seen three rattlesnakes on our open space system (many thousands of acres). No black widow spiders. Our neighbors had brown recluse spiders in their basement, though.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:32 AM   #11
Terrierman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I'd take heed.
Old 06-15-10, 06:36 AM   #12
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I think they like to chase the average dog ...

On the cape beaches, they will run alongside but at a distance of my 4x4. The beach coyotes are usually really skinny. They prey on resting seals. On long night hikes on the beach I carry bear spray but never saw one at night. The inland coyotes are quite robust.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mychatham/186163938/
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:59 AM   #13
HillCusser

Bikes: '93 Trek 520, '98 Trek 1220, '01 C-dale T800
No harm in preparing for worst case scenarios http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/48109
HillCusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 07:46 AM   #14
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I saw a coyote cross the road on my last commute, maybe 1/4 mile up. I doubled back to the last intersection and took an alternate route. I wasn't too afraid of him... he crossed the road and kept going... but since it was easy to give him his space and not even worry about an encounter, that's what I did.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 07:58 AM   #15
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
In the 70s while I was hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park I came across a sign that said "Caution: squirrels in this area can carry the Plague". As I had just finished feeding a quarter of my PB&J sandwich to several marauding squirrels, I found the sign a bit discomforting.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 08:03 AM   #16
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I came across a wolf alone in the woods in while tracking moose in NH with my camera. there was a fork in the animal paths (matted down paths made by animals in the wild). I was walking away from the fork but I heard something so I froze and turned around to see the wolf in the fork. It paused and turned it's head toward me. (about 30 ft between us) I remained frozen and it then turned back and continued along the trail away from me. It was limping and dropping it's left hind quarter so much I deduced it was missing a foot or leg or badly injured. Maybe that's why it didn't hassle me. The grass between us was too high for me to actually see it's leg. I was never so scared in my life. (well, no I was just as scared when I once totaled a car one rainy night). Anyway, too scared to lift my camera and take a picture. What was I thinking putting myself in that position! After telling my Dad the story he shipped me some bear spray. Guess they don't make wolf spray.

I was in NH with my current spouse and 2 very young kids camping to visit Storyland. I had gotten up just before sunrise and no one knew where I was. I had found some old 4x4 trails and went in as far as I could, then began walking. I could have been wolf shred and no one would ever have found me ...
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 08:12 AM   #17
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
No signs like that, but one time while walking the dog (JRT) I saw a female coyote padding up the trail towards us. We were sitting and she came within 5 feet of us. I know she had some pups somewhere because she was pretty emaciated and her br**sts were pretty big. My dog tended to be very confrontatory, but this time he had the sense to just shut up, and all was well and she loped on up the trail. Needless to say, we took another route going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 08:27 AM   #18
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
A couple Morel mushroom seasons ago, in the wooded area behind our house, I came across a fallen tree with a hollow end. There was at least 5 coyote puppies (if that's what they are called) playing on and around the log. I tried to get a little closer but one saw me, and in an instant they were all up into the hollowed out tree. My neighbor wanted to go shoot the little things but I wouldn't tell him the location because I wanted all the rabbits feasting in my garden, eaten.
Old 06-15-10, 08:35 AM   #19
Gyro

Bikes:
We had a bear on the canal path in rochester.

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...rrPnyasjg.cspx
Gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 08:42 AM   #20
Retired

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12
No, I've never seen a sign like that. I hear of Coyotes here in Atlanta alot. I saw one a mile away from my house. I wish they were in my neighborhood for Animal Control assistance.

A while ago a small Black Bear was killed on Interstate 285 here in Atlanta.
Oh brother did that cause gridlock.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 09:07 AM   #21
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
I came across a wolf alone in the woods in while tracking moose in NH with my camera. there was a fork in the animal paths (matted down paths made by animals in the wild). I was walking away from the fork but I heard something so I froze and turned around to see the wolf in the fork. It paused and turned it's head toward me. (about 30 ft between us) I remained frozen and it then turned back and continued along the trail away from me. It was limping and dropping it's left hind quarter so much I deduced it was missing a foot or leg or badly injured. Maybe that's why it didn't hassle me. The grass between us was too high for me to actually see it's leg. I was never so scared in my life. (well, no I was just as scared when I once totaled a car one rainy night). Anyway, too scared to lift my camera and take a picture. What was I thinking putting myself in that position! After telling my Dad the story he shipped me some bear spray. Guess they don't make wolf spray.

I was in NH with my current spouse and 2 very young kids camping to visit Storyland. I had gotten up just before sunrise and no one knew where I was. I had found some old 4x4 trails and went in as far as I could, then began walking. I could have been wolf shred and no one would ever have found me ...
I would have been much more worried about the moose than the wolf. Even a healthy wolf would just as soon avoid you. The moose might stomp you if it was feeling cranky. They can be very dangerous animals.
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 11:10 AM   #22
GeneO 
garden slug

Bikes: Felt 2012 F55X, Specialized 2016 Diverge Expert X1
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
They will protect their young. If you are riding you won't present a threat so don't sweat it. I have them practically in my back yard. One from our areas snatched pet and because of the very vocal owner, they culled some. They found food in their stomachs suggesting that people were feeding them - no wonder.

Gene
GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 07:58 PM   #23
waldowales
Old Fogy

Bikes:
The coyotes around here are extremely wary of humans, they run away as soon as they see you, Probably because they been shot at since the first settlers arrived here. When I was a kid, I saw a great example of humans messing up the balance of nature. The jackrabbits would get so numerous that they would have rabbit drives and kill them by the hundreds, then the 'yotes would cause so much havoc with the chicken coops and sheep herds that they would put a bounty on them, and then the rabbits would be back. Rinse and repeat.
waldowales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 08:14 PM   #24
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
From one of our open space trails - this morning's ride.

Can't be from Wile E. its not an Acme sign. Meep meep
Old 06-16-10, 02:23 AM   #25
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
On one of my trips down a spur of the trail that travels behind the local gun club I found a new sign on the trail "caution, hunters in the woods near trail". It's one of those signs that I feel would have been better served with a batch of dents and holes from passing shooters.